Author Topic: Letting air out of bus  (Read 1344 times)

Offline bowmaga

• Betty Owner 1
  • Super Betty
Letting air out of bus
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:39:31 PM »
If i want to dump all the air out of my MC9 bus right now, how do i do it?  It there a valve the that i can open that just lets it all out and takes it down to nothing?  I can air it up under the driver from my garage air compressor, is there where i can let all the air out?  I opened it up and it didn't seem to let a lot of air out real fast.
Greg Bowman
1979 MCI MC9

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
Re: Letting air out of bus
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 04:09:07 AM »
Not sure on letting all the air out or why you want to.  However airing the bus up from the front bypasses the dryer and allows moisture into the system. Unless you have a dryer on your compressor better to air up from the rear.
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline bowmaga

• Betty Owner 1
  • Super Betty
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 04:59:18 AM »
well, It leans real bad right now and i want to just let it all out to level it up to work on the interior. 

Where do i air up from the back?  There is a valve behind my tag axle that i can plug into, and it also has a little sign that says drain daily.  Would that be where i can?
Greg Bowman
1979 MCI MC9

Offline Stan

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 05:08:21 AM »
You have to open the drain valves on each air tank and then disconnect the link on each leveling valve and hold the leveling valve open to bleed each air bag. Observe all precautions when going under the bus.

Personally, I think you should be fixing your mechanical problems before you do the interior. It is a sad story often repeated on the BBS when the interior is all completed and then find that the bus isn't worth fixing to be safe on the road.

Offline bowmaga

• Betty Owner 1
  • Super Betty
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 05:45:58 AM »
that doesn't sound fun.....we are going to work on the mechanical today also....i just have 2 other guys and they are going to start the interior gutting....nothing big.  Just thought if i could exhaust the air to make it more level, that would be nice.
Greg Bowman
1979 MCI MC9

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 06:45:33 AM »
And 3 more  reasons to fix the mechanicals first so you can drive it.  I have used mine since the day I bought it. 

It makes it more fun, even if its just a steel tent.
It motivated me duing the hard times to still work on it
As I use it, I can alter my design based on how I want to use it. - walkway, light switch locations etc.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 08:58:45 AM »
It sounds like the right place to add air but without pic's or seeing, I'm only guessing. The first "tool" you need to purchase is a service manual. There is a post here "Bus not level when aired up" you can get some good info there.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 09:00:39 AM by jjrbus »
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 09:32:08 AM »
Hi Greg,
 I wouldn't discourage you from fixing your height control valve problem, but I would suggest you lower your suspension while you are working on your interior. I had to lower the suspension on our bus to get it in the door of the shop that I had then. That made the bus more stable than being up on the air bags.
Good luck with your project, Sam 4106
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740