Author Topic: It's never easy.  (Read 10757 times)

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
Re: It's never easy.
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 04:22:53 PM »
Chaz,

The hatch is inside the bay, on the floor.

You twist open the hatch from inside, then feed your cord through.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 04:25:26 PM »
In hindsight I would mount the Male plug inside the bay with a floor access panel. One reason for this is the code requires a breaker within 15 inches of the entrance receptical. The receptical could be mounted to the ceiling of the bay with a breaker next to it. Also anything that I found that was weather resistant (nothing is weatherproof) was very pricey. I'm useing a stainless steel marine reciptical. HTH

Ok are you saying that if I hard wire the shore power cord to the transfer switch, do I still have to have a breaker next to where it exits the bus?  If I wire to a inlet plug there has to be a breaker with in 15 inches of it?
[/quote]

My shore power receptacle is in the bay directly connected to the master disconnect/fuse box.  This is then directly under the distribution panel.  The shore power cord goes through an access in the floor of the bay.

I still worry about copper theives, but at the campgrounds we've stayed at I've never seen  problems.  Some people leave some pretty expensive accessories out in the wide open and leave them there all day while gone.  Nobody ever seems to bother them.  I've seen tent campers with large TV's inside with nobody around all day.  No problems.  But the bottom line is, copper thieves carry large bolt cutters.   Other than occaisionally electrocuting themselves  ;D , they don't have any problem cutting out any wires they want.

Offline chazwood

• Thekempters
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 04:32:07 PM »
Chaz,

The hatch is inside the bay, on the floor.

You twist open the hatch from inside, then feed your cord through.

Cliff

I would like to see a picture of this hatch. Is it capable of keeping water out of the bay while driving in rain? Does someone have this configuration who could take a snap shot of it? Or shoot yours if you think it's a better/different/not better/wouldn't repeat it/ love it, set up.

I'm open to suggestions....but they had better be clever. ;D
1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 04:37:49 PM »
Do a web search on West Marine, Camping Word, Boat US.
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 04:42:33 PM »
This similar to mine!

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline tekebird

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 04:56:42 PM »
yep bone dry.....don;t have a pic the marine inspection hatch comes with a flange....

when in doubt, always look to the marine industry.....alot of good answers there. and everything made for the marine industry will easily stand up to coach use

Offline TomC

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 04:57:46 PM »
I have mine hard wired to the breaker box with 50ft of wire.  The cord is directly below the breaker box in the storage bay.  I have a small trap door to lead it out side so the storage bay door can stay locked.  Works well for me.  It is a 50 amp 4 prong plug.  I just carry a 50 to 30 amp adapter and a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 06:21:04 PM »
Thanx Cliff. I guess I'm not familiar.  ???  (and I tend to try to make everything)
  Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 06:52:51 PM »
... One reason for this is the code requires a breaker within 15 inches of the entrance receptical.

OK, this is now the fourth or fifth time I've heard this here, and I'm mystified.  Could someone please cite the actual section and paragraph of the code where this is written?

I know for a fact there was no such requirement in the '99 code that I was using when I did my bus.  I got rid of that code book years ago, since it was huge and I did not have room for it any longer.

Today I finally broke down and gave the NFPA $75 for the new, downloadable PDF version of the 2008 code.  I've read the relevant sections four times now, and I still don't see any such requirement.

So, citation please.  Anyone?

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 07:05:56 PM »
Sean, When I did my bus wireing around 99/2000 I swear it was in Da Book. I hate when people spread misinformation and try to be cautious not to. But looks like I am wrong!!! Thanks for catching and correcting it.
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 07:08:52 PM »
Hi Chaz,

Here is what I did.  4"pvc male adaptor through the floor with a 4" pvc plug that sits in the coupler part from inside.

Lower left of the pic.

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline JimC

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 07:15:36 PM »
I have a PVC pipe similar to Nicks, but mine is just a 5-6 inch length of 4inch pipe through the floor, when I'm not using it I put a end cap on it, when It is in use, I have a different cap that has a notch out of it the same diameter as the extension cord that way the cord goes through the floor the cap goes on and the critters stay out.
Jim
4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 06:01:03 AM »
I am looking at the '99 code as we speak and can find no reference to a distance from the the cord entrance to the first breaker.  The 18" (not 15") comes up a couple of times; 551-10 (e) (4) is low voltage protection, 551-30 (e)(3) refers to generator protection.

My '94 Vogue Motor Home (an exceptionally well built machine BTW) runs 7-8 feet from the cable entrance to a transfer switch, then another 7 feet or so to the panel.

As for the cord 551-46(b) calls for a minimum length of 23' with a side entrance (28' with rear entrance)
551-46(e) says the point of entrance shall be within 15 feet of the rear on the left side or at the rear within 18" of the left wall.

That said, I think having a breaker right at the cable entrance might be a good practice.  You are depending on the camp breaker to protect that section of wiring in your coach.

If there are changes in a later version of the code, I'd like to know.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 08:30:21 AM »
I am looking at the '99 code as we speak and can find no reference to a distance from the the cord entrance to the first breaker.  The 18" (not 15") comes up a couple of times; 551-10 (e) (4) is low voltage protection, 551-30 (e)(3) refers to generator protection.

Len, thanks for confirming that I am not going crazy.  AFAIK, there has never been such a requirement in the code, but I've now heard it several times in several different places.

My '94 Vogue Motor Home (an exceptionally well built machine BTW) runs 7-8 feet from the cable entrance to a transfer switch, then another 7 feet or so to the panel.

When I did my bus, I ran the shore entrance all the way to the ATS, then from there all the way to the inverter.  The first (and only) disconnecting means on the shore power is downstream of the inverter, but ahead of the main distribution panel as required by 551.45(c).

As for the cord 551-46(b) calls for a minimum length of 23' with a side entrance (28' with rear entrance)
551-46(e) says the point of entrance shall be within 15 feet of the rear on the left side or at the rear within 18" of the left wall.

These have been revised.  The 2008 code calls for 25' with side entrance, and 30' with rear entrance.  Exception #2 to 551.46(e) now permits you to locate the entrance further forward than 15', but you need to add any distance beyond 15' to the minimum length of the shore cord.  Same goes for entrances higher than 3' from the ground.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 09:43:39 AM »
What is the purpose of the code for where the cord enters the vehicle?  I am planning on mine exiting the first bay on the left side and I don't see what difference is made  by the cord being nearer the front or rear.  Usually the codes make sence, this one I don't get.  Thanks!

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal