Author Topic: Bedroom cabinetry and under bed space.  (Read 8582 times)

Offline TomC

Re: Bedroom cabinetry and under bed space.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 05:10:06 PM »
This is a bit different since I have a transit with wheel wells.  With the rear wall having the intake stack on the right side and the exhaust stack on the left, I just made a hanging closet in between on the back wall with my stereo speakers just in front of the stack intrusion.  Since it is a transit, there is a back seat that is part of the engine compartment.  I raised the bed so that you have proper height when standing over the wheel wells.  This left room under the bed for my 130gal water tank, two 10 gal elec water heaters, two water pumps, and hot and cold manifold ball valve system-one valve for each water use.  This keeps the water system inside the coach and lessens the possibility of freezing.  Then you can have more storage space in your baggage bays.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 08:26:39 PM »
Our water tanks are under the bed in the bus we are using.  We also thought about putting drawers under the bed in the new bus.  We went back to putting the water there.  It is just too tight in the area to make drawers that are easy to get into.  You have to crawl down on your hands and knees, pull up the bedding, and pry yourself between the bed and wall.  Storage in the bay for extras is just a lot more accessable.  This also protects your tanks from freezing.  We have three tanks mounted sidewise for a total of 100 gallons.  Just make sure you install a pan under the tanks with a drain and if the pump is located in there, have an access door at the end of the bed to service the pump and check for leaks. Lifting a bed is a real pain the the rear and you still have to hang over the pedestal to work on anything in there.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline Don4107

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 11:56:12 PM »
Storage is one of the reasons the new bus will be twin beds.  You have good access to the rear wall for storage and you can put full length over head cabinets above each bed.  And of course each bed has good access for under bed storage. 

Still trying to come up with a workable way to fold one or both beds up against the wall to expose a desk/work surface for day use.

Don 4107
Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 01:00:07 AM »
Have you looked into murphy beds?

Cary
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 04:10:25 AM »
Don, go to a used truck dealership and look at some of the trucks used in fleets with teams.  Some had a bunk that folded into the back wall when not in use, then fliped down when needed.  Basically two hinges, a latch and a cable at the foot and head.  Pretty simple mechanism from what I remember.
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline rip

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 05:30:49 AM »
I have four drawers,two on each sides on full pullouts. The bed is raised 12" so the drawers are 7" deep which we use all the time.I also have storage in the middle of the bed which I have to lift the the mattrace to get at the space.I have the plywood cut in three pieces so it's not hard to use.I travel fulltime,so I use every space possible.
Don

Offline Rick Brown

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 10:03:55 AM »
I've got a 4905 with queen bed centerline on the coach centerline.  Under the bed is a 200 gal water tank and eight 12" deep drawers in two rows of two on each side.  The bed top is belly high to accomodate the water tank and thick mattres.  The rear axle is right at gross (18,000#) when the tank is full.  I typically only load enough water for the trip I'm going on and so seldom fill the tank, but it's nice to have when you need it.
-RickBrown in Reno, NV

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 06:37:43 PM »
Thanx for the ideas on the bed base, guys. I believe I will stick to my original thought. I already have my water set up in the basement and want max storage space anywhere I can get it.
My problem now is how I want to "finish" everything. I can rough 3/4" plywood together pretty good, but I want it to look nice. I was thinking of padded vinyl or something like marine hull covering (looks cool) but I'd like the cabinets to be hard faced. A wood working buddy stopped by today to have a look and said there is some neat veneer out there that I can stick to it and make look good. I'll probably go with the light maple. The rest of the coach will have a light grey as a base color. Does anyone else know of some sort of nice facing product I can finish the cabinets with? (wish me luck!!  :o     ;D)
 Most of the walls will probably have a marine hull material (silver/grey) and I'm still contemplating the ceiling material Cliff used. (I'm just afraid it can get damaged since my roof isn't raised)
I'll post pix if anyone wants to see it when done.

Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Blacksheep

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 07:50:02 PM »
Chaz I finished all my cabinets off with a cherry mahogany formica brand laminate. It's not as hard as it appears. In this picture you can see the color and you can also see what Meant by not having a lot of room for the drawers on the side to open and how difficult it is because of the upper base overhang!

BS

Sojourner

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 08:55:18 PM »
Jack Conrad has their bed tilt via motorize lift. Storage is open under bed.

Hope Jack see this "Bedroom" post and his reports.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 06:11:41 AM »
Base is like toe kick on kitchen/bathroom cabinates, only needs to be 3 to 4 inches not 8 inches to a foot.
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 06:40:54 AM »
Nice job BS!! I hope I can come close to mine looking that good. Mine will just be a little different in design.
The laminate, I'm guessing, it's not an actual wood product as you said it was Formica. (?) Unless Formica makes wood laminate too. (I'm a rookie here.)
I'm thinking about making smooth curves so I might use some ABS for the substrate. It works pretty easy. I use it for interior panels in Hot Rods.
 Thanx for the pic BS!

jjrbus,
  That is what I am planning on. Probably ony 3". I think that should be plenty.

Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

captain ron

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 07:35:06 AM »
Chaz, Give me a call, I might have a week and a half that I could help you right after memorial day if I don't do some closet work in DC. Even then I may have a few days to help you out. I'll either be coming from Northumberland, Pa. to South east Il. or if I get the closet job I will come from Pa. to D.C. then to South East Il. Gotta be there june 12,13,14.

@#(-@(@-!&%)  or 2392921750

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 07:54:19 AM »
Thanx CD!! I appreciate the offer. Bad thing is I will "HOPEFULLY" have it done by then as I have back to back trips last weekend in May and first weekend in June.  But if you're traveling by and need a place to park for a bit, stop by. And if you need anything welded or fab-ed, I can probably help you out! I may even have some clean VO by then.

Later bro,
    Chaz

Blacksheep

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 01:22:15 PM »
Thanks Chaz! Here is what you can do if you get started! Problem is, were still not done as it takes time to get it right!  ::)

BS

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal