Author Topic: fuel additive  (Read 2854 times)

Offline johns4104

fuel additive
« on: May 14, 2008, 07:54:58 PM »
Anybody using ethos fuel additive or know anything about it?
I will post the link.

http://www.mygassaver.net/new_order.html

thanks,
John
PD4104-1859
In Sunny Arizona
Apache Junction Near Phoenix

Offline prevost82

• 82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed
  • 82 Prevost Marathon XL
Re: fuel additive
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 09:03:47 PM »
snake oil .......

Sojourner

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 09:13:09 PM »
John....All fuel that you buy from retail station come with additive to keep injectors clean to a point. In the old days 40's to 70's, additive such as Wynns Tune Up does clean hydraulic lifters and so on. Gumout in gas tank clean carburetor's passages. At the same time there were few additive that so call "Improve Mileage Now" or whatever....is just a scam in the long run.

Today's fuel is so much better to keep it running clean and no gum deposits anywhere.

Read for your self and also about BP responded:
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/forums/viewthread/1478/P20/

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Offline steve5B

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 07:35:18 AM »

Hello everyone,

Reading this post, being in this type of business for 28yrs plus, there are additives that will enhance the performance of diesel

fuel.  The main chemical in diesel fuel is 2-EYTHEL-HEXL NITRIAT.  Also known as CETANE.  National average of this product at

the pump today is 42.5 numbers.  The higher the % of this product the improved fuel economy.  If you have BULK fuel at your

location, look at you invoice the cetane of the fuel should be on there.  Ask, if you have the time at where you fuel up at what

the cetane rating is.  You might be stunned.  Thirty seven numbers is the lowests allowed.  KEEP IN MIND 47 numbers is Premium!

Steve 5B....

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:03:48 AM »
Personally, on old diesel engines, I think an occaisional tank treated with a bottle of injector cleaner is good.  I added some to my second tank and did see improved performance and mileage.  The injectors were apparently somewhat fouled and the additive helped.  Just my observation and opinion.

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 11:22:54 AM »
I never had much faith in fuel additives.  Now, if someone could compile a list and some data on which products really worked, that would be nice.
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA

Offline pvcces

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 07:22:03 PM »
Steve 5B, I was under the impression from various literature that I have seen that increasing cetane lowers ignition temperature, not that it had anything to do with increased economy.

As I understood it, the right thing to do is to use high enough of a rating to have reliable starting, but not any higher.

We ran into a situation here in Ketchikan many years ago where we had ignition problems in engines and burners caused by low temperatures. When we investigated, we found low cetane ratings on the fuel that we had been buying and switched to another brand with a better rating.

Our problems ended with the change. Temperatures were right at zero and we did not use a blend.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 07:45:20 PM »
About the only time you need Diesel fuel additive is in colder than freezing weather to keep the fuel from freezing itself.  Other than that, a good hard run engine rarely needs any kind of cleaner.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 08:14:36 PM »
Other than that, a good hard run engine rarely needs any kind of cleaner.  Good Luck, TomC

I think that is kind of the issue.  Except for perhaps a few entertainer conversions, most bus conversions don't get run hard compared to the service they were built for.

Offline steve5B

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 06:08:15 AM »

Pvcces,

The higher cetane rating of the fuel will decrease the pre-engine knock.  Also it brings all the power in the fuel it is designed for.

The sound of the engine will also be noticeable, lower Db.  Alot of people have pros/cons about this type of product, however I

know it does work.  Hope this will answer some of your questions!

Steve 5B......
WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal