Author Topic: Walmart oil  (Read 5968 times)

Offline Iver

• 1979 MCI-9
Walmart oil
« on: May 17, 2008, 01:11:26 AM »
I noticed my local Walmart was stocking straight 40W diesel oil.   This may not be new, I just never noticed before.
It says " Exceeds API Service CF-2, CE, SH, SJ.
"Meets performance requirements of Allison C-3 and CAT TO-2
Says it is for all Naturally Aspirated and Turbo Diesel engines....

Any thoughts??   I have always used Delo 40W.
        Iver.
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
"Life may not be the party we hoped for,
But while we are here we might as well dance".

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Re: Walmart oil
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 03:29:00 AM »
Howdy Iver, the key is to now find the ash content which needs to be 1% or preferalbly less than 1%.  I think the Delo 100 40WT is like .78%.  A lot of the CF2 oils are above 1% ash content which as I understand it leads to soot buildup on the valves, especially during idle.
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 05:59:39 AM »
Iver this comes up often that oil is made by Citgo and is for 2 strokes all C rated oil are less than 1% ash per 2007 EPA mandate  if you can save bucks use it, are you in Canada or the US I ask because I never saw the 40W in the US  at Wal Mart by the way there are 100s of brands out there that meet the 1% requirement for DD and they put their name on the Delvac brand made by Exxon\Mobil

Offline tekebird

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 09:03:08 AM »
two stroke, I have not read the 2007 mandate, but of some 30 CF-2 oils I checked a few years ago....only 6 or so meet DD ash requirements

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 09:54:16 AM »
posted in error - deleted
If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:52:46 AM »
Can the DDEC be protected with abn over voltage device of some sort.  That would be a costly "whoops" and most certainly result in a inconvenience.

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Glenn MC9

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »
Removed by poster.

1984 MCI-9 (Jersey Cruiser)
6V92-TA/Alison 740
Tallulah Falls, Ga.
www.tlmmusic.com.

Everywhere I go.....there I am.

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 12:20:46 PM »
OOOOOPS - Sorry guys/gals that ans was meant for a question on the RTS Yahoo board

BUT as far as Wally World oil and others CF-2 rated oils

see--> http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByServiceCategory.asp?ServiceCategory=CF-2

that's what I meant to post - been having trouble with my cable lately - wasn't watch what I was doing

sorry

Pete RTS/Daytona
If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 04:29:55 PM »
as I said just because an oil is CF-2 does not mean it has less than 1% ash content.

only way to determine is to go to the oil manufacturers website and check the individual specs.

Offline lesrMC9

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 04:52:04 PM »
Hey Iver; how are things?? crappy [Canadian ] tire also has 40wt oil cfll  ash????
Les R

Offline Timkar

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 05:43:18 PM »
Hi Iver
I've been running the Walmart brand 40W CF2 for over two years in various 2 strokes. Last time I got it the cost was $37.99 for 20 litres jug (approx 5 gallons) as per the previous post " made by Citgo and is for 2 strokes all C rated oil are less than 1% ash per 2007 EPA mandate "
Tim
Cawston, British Columbia

Offline tekebird

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 06:29:06 PM »
TimKAR,

would you happen to be able to provide a link to this mandate.

Only thing I could find on the EPA site was for 4 stroke oil

luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 06:48:18 PM »
Doug, why do need a link the API rating of ash in cd or cf has always been 1% or less the ruling just gives you more options on oil the CJ4 or CI4 if you can find it 30 or 40w will work now just read the bottle  and fwiw  there will be no ash in 2010 some already are so find something else to worry about instead of the ash in oil for 2 strokes

Offline tekebird

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 06:56:24 PM »
luvr, I beg to differ.

several years ago I had yet another pay to research job...on straight weight CF-2 oils.

at the time there was only 8 or so out of the hundred I looked at that were less than 1%

luvrbus

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 07:02:53 PM »
Have it your way Doug but all C rated oil now is less than 1% just like Cole and Tim said

Offline tekebird

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 07:18:55 PM »
I just asked for some documentation.......it may very well be true, But I'd like to see it inan officail publication rather than a board post from two guys I don;t know from Adam

Offline tekebird

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »
Doug, why do need a link the API rating of ash in cd or cf has always been 1% or less the ruling just gives you more options on oil the CJ4 or CI4 if you can find it 30 or 40w will work now just read the bottle  and fwiw  there will be no ash in 2010 some already are so find something else to worry about instead of the ash in oil for 2 strokes

now I am not automoticve engineer or chemist......but the C?-4 oils are specifically formulated for 4 stroke engines.    CI for instance is designed for 4 stroke engines.  In the past ten minutes I have located a load of online info that is way over my head technically re: the specific needs of two strokes as far as oil performance ( outside of ASH content.)

My engine........I'll be using the CF-2 oils that have confirmed Ash levels which can be easily checked on the manufacturers websites under product specs.

Offline Timkar

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 09:03:48 PM »
Hope this link works....otherwise you'll have to cut and paste...

http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/729358.pdf
Cawston, British Columbia

Offline tekebird

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 09:52:36 PM »
thx Timkar, what I was looking for was the EPA documentation on all being below 1%.

While I was reading tonight, seems Wallyworld switches oil suppliers like most people change underwear.  at least on thier car oils.....seems they buy through some repackaging company, who buys the low bid oil of the day

Offline pvcces

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 10:36:29 PM »
For those who like using the oil from Canada, we do too. Mainly due to the cost and availability.

In the last few days, I was consolidating the results of the oil analyses we have had done. For the first three tests, we had some silica and iron, not real high, but worrisome. Most everything else seemed okay.

The fourth test was the best that we have had, iron and silica way down. It just so happens that we removed and replaced the bellows hose that runs from the air cleaners to the air horn. The old one was in bad condition and there was some evidence that some dirt had been getting past some of the bolt holes.

I also noticed that two levels dropped to practically nothing from fairly high levels. These were boron and magnesium. This was the oil that we had bought in Canada; all of the earlier tests were on Delo 100 40 weight.

Magnesium was listed as an additive/dispersant and boron was listed as a contaminant from antifreeze or possibly an additive. The test for antifreeze was negative.

I came to the conclusion that Delo probably has high levels of magnesium and boron, but the Canadian oil does not. I can't speak to how much effect these have, but they are probably there for a reason.

We probably will continue using the Canadian oil until we see some reason to change, partly because we run a toilet paper filter which gives us clean oil until the additives run low.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Offline Iver

• 1979 MCI-9
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 01:28:48 AM »
The oil at Walmart (Canada) was 32.96 for 20 liters. (approx. 5gal. u.s.)

As tekebird said, I have also noticed Walmart uses different suppliers for their products.   I bought a gal. of anti-freeze a while ago and it was the typical green color.  I bought another gal. a month later (same name, same label exactly), and it was the red stuff.

By the way, is there a difference between the "green" and the "red" anti-freeze???
          Iver.
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
"Life may not be the party we hoped for,
But while we are here we might as well dance".

Offline tekebird

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 06:26:43 AM »
there are now three types of antifreeze.

when there was two there was a distiction between the green and red

seems now there is no distinction......I know the two original types are still available...and they do not mix well ( creat a nice snot consistancy stuff.......but the new will mix with both types.

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 06:37:52 AM »
Yup, seems like antifreeze color is becoming a fashion or branding issue.  Now there is orange, purple, red and green that I've seen.  Before long, cars targeting young geeks will have clear coolant hoses with light ropes in them to show off the color of the antifreeze.   ;D

Offline TomC

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »
Many antifreezes are advertised as working with any colored anti freeze.

With your engine being the single most expensive item on the bus, why goof with cheap oils?  Detroit Diesel and Chevron worked together to make the correct oil for the 2 stroke engine-and that was Delo 100 sae40 weight.  That's what I use, and also what I used in my 8V-92TA, although with the turbo engines, it should be Delo 400 sae40 weight.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal