Author Topic: Bus Building  (Read 12056 times)

Blacksheep

Re: Bus Building
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 03:33:57 PM »
That is a skylight

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 04:03:44 PM »
Hi Ace,

It might be a good idea to ask the company to design overhangs on the eves and gable ends as well as gutters. It helps to eliminate water marks

down the steel siding. I had 18" overhangs designed into my building because my prior building didn't have any and looked bad after 10 years.

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline BusCrazyinFL

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 04:06:52 PM »
Mr. Baa Blacksheep, Could you build that bldg big enough so I could bring my Eagle over to keep that Prevost company, LOL?  Are we (The Flying Aces) ready to go camping???

Blacksheep

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 04:09:12 PM »
Nick is that your business shop AND Bus shop?

Curious! Why the portable shelter over the bus?

Manny, sure if you want to split the cost! LOL

AND I'm more than ready to go camping! 2 weeks and counting every day that passes!
BS

Blacksheep

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »
Been researching the builder and found another model very similar to the first model but this one has the eaves Nick was referring to but doesn't have what I called skylights on the other model. They are actually called eave lights and they DID let in a lot of natural light!

Ncbob

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 04:55:17 PM »
Ace, since you've been in the 'Squire's' shop at our winter quarters the two items I was going to mention for being a must are the skylights and insulation. Can't imagine working in a steel building in FL in the summer without it...or the winter for that matter.

While you're at it...how about a pit for your friends to share with you? Since the water table is so low there now you probably wouldn't have to put that big a sump and pump in to keep it dry. Oh, it wouldn't have to be that special...not a 50 footer...if you only made it 10-15' long we could run our buses out the back door, turn them around and come back in to service the other end.

It would be nice to have plenty of outlets and compressed air in the pit though...and oil drain equipment because I can't lug those heavy 5 gallon pails anymore.  ;)

Bob

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 05:37:36 PM »
Bob, looks like I may have to put a pit in ours when we build it! ;D

I had not really thought about putting one in, however it would be nice to be able to look under ours and anyone else's that comes through! 

Not to hyjack your thread Ace, however thinking about a pit; am wondering if you could built it 6 feet wide WITH something like an inside side boards, (metal) that drops down once the bus is backed down the pit, except for the part over the rear wheels.  That way you have more room to work on the steering, and other parts normally not accessible.
What do ya'll think?
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 06:25:07 PM »
Nick is that your business shop AND Bus shop?

Curious! Why the portable shelter over the bus?

Manny, sure if you want to split the cost! LOL

AND I'm more than ready to go camping! 2 weeks and counting every day that passes!
BS

Hi Ace,
I only wish I can keep my bus inside the shop all the time...
The busisness comes first, so when I need the bus inside, I have to move the fork lift and some pallets to the other side.
The shelter works very well. I call it the Bus Glove.. The covers usually last 2 years. It has survived 3 major storms to date!

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Dreamscape

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 08:40:23 PM »
Ace,

I thought you had a concrete block building built. Was it for all of your other toys?

Didn't it work out for you or is this another adventure?

Paul

Blacksheep

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 09:00:45 PM »
Paul yes I had a two car plus block garage built and it is full of a lot of what Susan calls junk but will become a nice shop/garage once it's cleaned out. It's still needs outside finishing like stucco and exterior lights but the new shop I want will be just for the bus, trailer, golf cart and machinery like welders, tools and boxes etc.!

BS

Blacksheep

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 05:38:23 AM »
Another question regarding size! How do they measure the height of a given building? Is it the side wall or to the highest point of the peak?

BS

luvrbus

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 05:58:06 AM »
The side walls, for 14ft high doors doors you need a 16ft building a suggestion for you use a least a 12 ft wide door also if any way possible use one at each end for good air flow works here in sunny AZ 113 Sunday. Before you order your building check your local codes for the height limit on building and how many doors and what size you can have

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 06:31:48 AM »
If you choose 18' height, you have the option of putting a mezzanine in for some nice storage over your work benches. The extra height seems cooler too.

Dad had a Morton building put up - 50 x 75 x 18 ceiling. (Mom has already filled the mezzanine area  :o ) He put in 12w x 14h doors & they ain't too wide or too tall! He also added windows to one side to make it look more residential & less commercial. Nice natural light source too.

YMMV
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Catskinner!

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 06:47:28 AM »
Ace

I have a 40x60 with 16' wall height and a 4"in12" pitch which makes it 22' at the peak.

I installed 2, 14'by14' roll up doors in one end with 6' between them,  I  needed the

width to be able to turn into the shop.  I also have 1, 12'by14' on the side next to the

entrance end plus a 8'by8' on the other end.   It is never too big.

Catskinner!
Sonnie & Patti Gray
72 0/5 Eagle 3406 Cat
Pottsboro, Tx

Offline belfert

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 07:03:47 AM »
I've been looking at a bus building if my house ever sells.  They can put a 14 foot door in a building with 14 foot sidewalls.  It does require special trusses that are offset in the center.

I can't afford to live in a totally rural area where anything goes so I have been trying to figure out how to design a building that will fit into a somewhat suburban environment and not have 16 foot sidewalls if I can help it.  (Lots are 1 acre minimum.)
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal