Author Topic: $5.00 Diesel  (Read 11284 times)

Offline Eagle

• 1985 Eagle
$5.00 Diesel
« on: May 21, 2008, 05:35:10 AM »
Which state will be the first to hit the $5.00 per gallon mark?

Pembroke, N.Y. $4.84 9/10 this morning.

Songman

Re: $5.00 Diesel
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 05:59:28 AM »
Wow! It was just over a month ago when we had a thread about who would be the first to see $4.00 diesel. This is getting ridiculous.

Offline belfert

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 06:36:31 AM »
Some stations in San Francisco are already over $5 and a number are at $4.99.  New York City has several stations over $5.

New York has very high fuel taxes so fuel is always high there relative to other states.  I drove from Minneapolis to Rochester, NY in 2004 in my VW Golf TDI and avoided buying fuel in NY for that very reason.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline belfert

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 06:45:15 AM »
At the end of Feb I was able to buy diesel at $3.39.  Today it is $4.39 to $4.49 here in Minneapolis.  My pocket book is really starting to hurt just to fill up my diesel Golf, let alone my bus.  I budget $125 a month for fuel for my non-bus driving and that won't even get me two tanks now.  It wasn't long ago I could just about get three tanks a month for my $125.

I was an a rural Super Walmart with a gas station on Sunday.  I was shocked to find diesel at $4.22 so I filled up my diesel Golf even though I only needed half a tank.

I don't know how folks with Suburbans or similiar can afford gas these days.  The scout troop I work with was planning to go to a Scout camp 460 miles round trip.  That is over $100 in a Suburban just for the weekend!
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Songman

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 07:34:28 AM »
Between my wife and I, our fuel bill is around $600 per month. This is just for our regular cars! I have no idea how people that were living lean before are making it anymore. When I was living in Nashville, I knew people who were there trying to break into the music business that were waiting tables or whatever they could do just to be there. Every penny they made went to keeping them in town. I don't know how they live now. Wages have definitely not kept up with fuel costs.

Offline edvanland

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 09:57:26 AM »
I am a newspaper distributor and my gas bill to do the paper route is now $200 per week, and to add insult to injury the Arizona Repulsive cut my rate in half.  So for anyone who gets a newspaper delivered to them, it may not be long before the ones of us who get up a 2 AM will not be able to afford the gas to drive to your house.
ED VAN
MCI 7
Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:31:27 AM »
It hit $5.09 May 13, 2008 in Needles CA. according to this post:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=8285.0

I don't know how you missed it.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 10:43:53 AM »
And right on time, the waste veggie oil collection guys are working with the police and county governments to make stealing WVO from restaurant tanks a class 10 felony.  Punishable by dismemberment and death. 
Big article in today's rag suggesting that individuals will soon be cut out of WVO supply.   Think about it...?
I suggested that this WVO lockout would arise once fuel prices were high enough.  This was one reason I felt that persuing a WVO adventure could be premature.
FWIW, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

cody

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »
Here at BK's we have been buying fuel where they fill up the buses in South Fulton, it's a walmart store so when libby needs something from the store I fill up 2-5 gallon cans and pour it into the bus to slowly top it off.  On monday I paid 4.19, on tuesday I paid 4.29, today it's 4.39.  Luckily I think it's almost topped off lol.

Ncbob

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 12:08:42 PM »
There's only one answer to the high prices of fuel. CONSERVATION. Don't drive any more than necessary.
Shop for your fuel and buy carefully....Cody has the right idea.

The only way we're going to get the Arabs attention is when we don't buy it and it backs up in the pipeline. They live and spend like sailors on a Saturday night and once they realize that we don't HAVE to buy every drop they export the price will have to come down.

Don't depend on the Congress or Detroit to do anything about better fuel mileage for years. Too, in order to get it you have to spend 30-50K for a new vehicle. Ha! Not this Mother's Son.

I'm not going to two rallies I would normally attend this summer and am thinking about NOT going to Bussin" 2008 this fall.  Why you might ask?  For the same damned reason most other folks won't...my money feels more comfortable in MY pocket than is some rag head's purse.

Perhaps one day they'll understand that God is indeed Great. But not the sponsor of greed or terrorism!

Bob

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 01:19:17 PM »
I regularly 'window shop' for 8-series BMWs on eBay, as I've wanted one for years and they are now theoretically coming within my budget, although right at the moment I barely have two pennies to rub together.

In one advert for an 8-series the seller mentioned that it cost £120 to fill the tank - that's $240 to fill the fuel tank of a car - not a truck or an SUV, or even a particularly big car. Scary. Quite why the seller thought it was a good idea to mention the fact in the advert I've no idea

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 04:02:35 PM »
I regularly 'window shop' for 8-series BMWs on eBay, as I've wanted one for years and they are now theoretically coming within my budget, although right at the moment I barely have two pennies to rub together.

In one advert for an 8-series the seller mentioned that it cost £120 to fill the tank - that's $240 to fill the fuel tank of a car - not a truck or an SUV, or even a particularly big car. Scary. Quite why the seller thought it was a good idea to mention the fact in the advert I've no idea

Jeremy

Just being totally honest! Not a bad policy! But probably didn't help the sale any! FWIW! ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline belfert

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 04:22:46 PM »
I don't think anyone has ever advocated stealing WVO when doing a WVO conversion.  If you're going to steal WVO why not just steal gasoline or diesel instead?  No special equipment required to burn that.

The part about individuals getting shut out is probably correct.  Businesses will probably make deals with WVO producers to buy up their output in cases where the producers are not already selling the stuff to someone.  Most major restaurant chains have had exclusive deals to get rid of their WVO for years.

I never considered WVO because of the difficulty of getting WVO on the road.  I simply don't have time on a trip to drive all over looking for WVO.

Offline ktmossman

• 2006 MCI J4500
    • Making the Drive
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 05:41:45 PM »
Saw an odd price on fuel today on I19 in central GA.  Unleaded was 3.78 but Diesel was 4.94.  'Sup wit' that?
Kevin Mossman
2006 MCI J4500
Dallas, TX

Offline rcbishop

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 05:57:20 PM »
A story on People PC talked abour a TN farmer and son who traded their tractor for mules.... :)
..........wave of the future stated the son...................
Hmmmmm.  ;D
RCB

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal