Author Topic: Eagle 15 Front End Noise Question  (Read 2919 times)

Offline homermandy

Eagle 15 Front End Noise Question
« on: June 06, 2008, 10:34:24 AM »
1991 Eagle. When the bus is moving, not sitting still, when you make a hard turn left all the way, as the wheel turns back to center there is a grinding/clunking noise near the front left tire. Kind of like something is binding. I checked and greased all fittings I could see in the front. The problem does not exist if I am sitting and turning the wheel, as well as full right turns back to center. Any ideas? Thanks
1991 Eagle 15

Dreamscape

Re: Eagle 15 Front End Noise Question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 10:57:24 AM »
Have you checked your wheel bearings? If it only is happening when moving the load on the wheel bearing is shifted from one side to the other. While sitting still you may not notice it.

Have you also checked your steering linkage for wear or slop?

I may be all wet. ;)

Just a thought. Let us know what you find out.

Paul

luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 10:57:45 AM »
Joe,on the left side(drivers side) there is unit where where 3 of the steering linkages join together from the steering box the grease zerk for it is on the housing  most of the time it is covered with dirt and grease so clean that and find your grease zerk there is also one on the right side with 2 linkages going to it ,those units have bearings and are very seldom greased by a PO  make sure you grease the link from the steering box also  good luck

Offline homermandy

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
Bearings should be fine as some were replaced a few years ago after full inspection and only 3K miles since then.  I'll check for the extra zerk spots tonight and keep you posted. Thanks
1991 Eagle 15

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:28:55 AM »
Homer,

All those zerk locations are shown in the lube chart in an Eagle Owner's manual.  I grease mine every 6K miles.  I lift up the bus to unload the stress to pump the grease in.  Scrape around with a wire brush to knock off the crud.  I usually use a whole grease cartridge on my Eagle10 when I do this.

David

Offline homermandy

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 12:04:32 PM »
David,
 Do I need to lift the coach up to unload suspension stress when greasing? I assume your jack point is from the manual and for the boady, not suspension?
Thanks
1991 Eagle 15

Offline Sammy

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 12:58:47 PM »
Check steering box mounting hardware and frame rail.

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 08:51:36 PM »
David,
 Do I need to lift the coach up to unload suspension stress when greasing? I assume your jack point is from the manual and for the boady, not suspension?
Thanks
I lift it from the frame as shown in the manual.  It is recommended in the manual to do it that way to unload the suspension.

David

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 07:20:02 PM »
Something is wrong. I would jack the wheel up and stick a 6 foot pipe in a wheel hole. Pick a hole on the bottom and pry up with all your leverage. If you find the slop there then pull the bearings and see what came loose and why.

If its not there pull the wheel and do alot of prying in the area of the knuckle where the 3 linkages come togather then move on until you find your problem.

Do you have oil on the inside of the tire?
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 07:23:35 PM »
Hi Guy's,

Any chance it could be King Pins?

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 08:04:38 PM »
Nick, Eagles have 3 pins in the front suspension and usually when goes bad there is a lot of tire wear on the front but that could be his problem the upper or lower pin binding or the king pin I hope he find his problem that is not good with any steering a binding sound

Offline homermandy

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 11:56:35 AM »
Well, I was under the front end and after checking for all zerks, I did find one zerk which had worked its way out a little. Not sure what front end part you would call it, but it is near the tire and has zerks on both sides of the metal piece.  I had to reinsert and tighten the zerk, and it took quite a bit of grease. Took it for a spin and the sound is gone. Thanks for the help and I hope the sound does not come back.
1991 Eagle 15

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal