Author Topic: in a big jam kingsman az  (Read 7417 times)

Offline 4106-123

in a big jam kingsman az
« on: June 17, 2008, 09:35:08 PM »
im in a big jam here in kingsman az the engine i just put in had a severe over heat enough to seize the engine. im here with my family we were on the way to las vegas from nc for vacation. i had the bus towed to the freight liner dealer  here but there not sure they can work on it gmc 8v71 1961 model. who  can work on it around here and not rip me off? has anyone had this happen what damage would be done? i need to get it fixed asap. were between flagstaff and las vegas thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline TomC

Re: in a big jam kingsman az
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 10:15:33 PM »
I hate to say it, but you might be looking at an overhaul of the engine, maybe with new heads, since the 8V-71's heads are prone to heat cracking in the bridges between the valves.  It's too bad you didn't stop to let it cool.

You might consider having the bus towed to Phoenix to Williams Detroit Diesel.  Give them a call in the morning to see if they have a mechanic to work on it.  If all fails, paying to have the bus put on a flat bed and taken to Bakersfield, Ca. to have Don Fairchild work on it (he did my motor and is a wizard at detroits) might also be worth the tow bill.  Don's phone is- 661-391-4520.  At least call him-he knows the good shops around.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline 4106-123

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:27:14 PM »
WE WERE HAVING problems heating up we kept stopping to let it cool . we had been losing water lots of it but not leaking out i suspected a blow head gasket the temp was running around 225 then we saw it come up to 240 then back down to 225 then seizer. looks like the temp guage got a steam lock or air lock and did not read correctly.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 11:27:38 PM »
For the future readers of archives...

Do not run your DD above 210-215.

Confirm the accuracy of your temperature gauge.

Be sure your "hot engine" warning sensor and light is functional.
repace the sensor: cheap insurance if unknown previous owner or unknown preventive maintenance.

Coolant consumption is bad!

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline tekebird

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 01:29:59 AM »
prognisis is not good, If your gauge was anywhere near accurate your heads are toast, loss of coolant is bad bad bad.....and obviously uyour hot engine shutdown was inop.

If Don can't help you in bakersfield Delaney and Ahlf is a DD shop who likely has 2 stroke experience.

honestly, it is probably cheaper to truck in an engine that you know runs and have it bolted in.  rather than tearing down and rebuilding and replacing heads.

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 08:52:20 AM »
If all else fails, I know PEDCO in Santa Fe Springs, CA (near LA) can help. (562) 944-3199, ask for Virgil Cooley, and tell him you got the recommendation here on the board.

They've got the parts to fix your motor, and they've got motors they can just drop in.  They also have their own Landoll and will probably give you a reasonable tow rate if they do the work.  You're close enough that Sean (the Landoll driver) can be out and back within a day.  Virgil's been very good about letting us stay in the bus while we've had work done there, and you can easily be looking at three or four days to have the motor in-framed or swapped.

HTH, and good luck.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 11:21:51 AM »
Try Andy in Needles Ca (A & A Diesel) his number is in the directory and also Freightliner in Needles has 2 good mechanics for 2 strokes but Andy will have the parts on hand and will come to you the gentleman is a great DD mechanic, Kingman is about 40 miles from him plus he may have a 8v71 on hand at his shop.If you call Freightliner in Needles ask for Marvin he does a lot of engine work on his days off sorry I don't have numbers for you

Offline roadrunnertex

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 12:09:53 PM »
Hope this helps,
Bad to have a road failure. :'(
I called Nick Liberti at Nimco in Newark,NJ
1-800-526-8055
He has running take out left hand rotation 8/V71's for $2700.00 plus shipping.
He said give him a call.He can help you out.
jlv ;D

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »
You have gotten good input. 

What has not been said, maybe because it is so obvious, is that you have to find out what is wrong with the cooling system that caused the problem.  As has been said, you DO NOT want the engine over 210 degrees!!!

I would have the radiator pulled while the engine is being worked on and have it checked.  My gut feeling is that you will need a new core unless it has recently been replaced.  New radiator fin technology can add significantly to the cooling capacity. 

On my Eagle, the tubes were not clogged, but the fins had loosened from the tubes and the heat transfer path was compromised. 

All of this costs lots of money, but you simply can not stick another engine in (or rebuild yours) and then fry it again.

So many of these threads never get updated.  Please keep us posted on how you resolve the problem.  We all care and learn for others experiences.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 07:16:18 PM »
do not forget B&B coach in Las Vegas

They may have people they know who can help

Gary and Dan try them

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline TomC

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 09:05:14 AM »
What has happened so far-we all want to know?!  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline larryh

• 4905A-893 P8M
  • ready to run with the big dogs
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »
You have two very good and reasonable places there in Kingman just for your info I just did a inframe complete 3 months total Bill was a tad over 9,000 dollars took it back to new specs. But find out what caused your heat problem and coolant loss first a take out will probably be cheapest route.

Larry Higuera
Quartzsite AZ currently in Harrisburg OR

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 10:03:19 PM »
Don Fairchild seems to be the "gold standard" in trusted/knowledgable names for two cycles.  If I were going to R&R the engine I would want one of his engines if I could get it.  Maybe he can ship you one or rec a friend that can test the one they come up with out there.  It would be in your best interest to have him involved and get him to at least "look" at your rig if you can find a reason to go by his shop.  I think a competant mech would have spotted your inop "overtemp emergency shut down" circuit so I guess it is proven that you need an inspection.  Did you know that there is an emergency "low oil pressure shut down" circuit?  Low air pressure alarm and brake lock up?  So much more.

HTH,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline TomC

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 09:08:26 AM »
Update us all on what has happened!  Good Luck, TomC

Offline tekebird

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 09:38:15 AM »
I suspect a murder suicide story???????????

or

wife made him leave the bus and they flew home on the condition he would never speak the dreaded word bus again

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal