Author Topic: Comments on layout  (Read 5165 times)

Offline paulcjhastings

Comments on layout
« on: June 20, 2008, 06:51:46 AM »
This is pretty much the layout that I plan on using for my coach. However I would like to hear from anyone that sees anything that will be a big problem. I don't care if you don't like the style ;), but please let me know if you see anything that is a deal breaker.
Paul Hastings
1993 Setra 215 w/ Detroit Series 60 & Allison HT748
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
Re: Comments on layout
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 06:59:13 AM »
Your pantry is really deep, what are your plans to get to the back?  If you are using some sort of drawers, you are limited to how far you can pull them out because they will run into the bathroom door.  Looks cool otherwise!

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

skipn

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 07:21:37 AM »
Paul,

In well thought out floor plans there usually isn't deal breakers
 just minor inconveniences. It then becomes the trade off between
 function and style........

Only things I saw are from my perspective only but are really minor.
      Master bed against the wall would be a pain for me.
      Kitchen design efficiencies usually have more of a triangle concept between stove, sink and fridge.
      Your fridge seems a little removed from the cooking area.
      Closet space seems minimal.

of course YMMV

Skip

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 07:35:05 AM »
It looks on the plan as though the bunks are in the bathroom! Even if there is a wall around the bunks area, I'm not sure having the shower and toilet in such an open and central location is really feasible when there will presumably be four people staying in the bus (judging by the sleeping arrangements). I'd want the bathroom to be a much more private area myself.

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline paulcjhastings

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 07:47:21 AM »
To Clarify

Pantry will be drawers, and depth is subject to change, I just pulled it out far enough for the bathroom door to catch on it to block off the bath from the front.

The kitchen design is a triangle just not an equilateral one ;D. For closets there is storage under the bunks, above the washer dryer, in the dinette, under each couch, and I may add one against the wall at the foot of the bed.

WC is completely walled in, the way I drew it, I can see how you misinterpreted it.
Paul Hastings
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel

skipn

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 07:54:29 AM »

Paul,

Well thought out with the bases coverd :)

Jeremy..............the family that showers together stays clean together :0
   Actually I'm rather conservative (private) about showers but I have seen
   a lot of open plans in the shower area.......I guess it is all a matter of preferences.

Skip

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 07:55:21 AM »
This is definitely one of the most unusual and unorthodox layouts I have seen, but if that is what you want, the go for it.

I would however suggest you plan on attending a bus rally and look at the other more conventional layouts before you make the final decision.

Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline REK

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 07:59:05 AM »
Paul:

As a “Bus Not” my opinion and thoughts are valuable to me and only me but  .   .   .   ( I can’t keep quit anyway ! )

I would make the Rear Bunk into a Couch, that unfolded into a Bunk Bed.  See the 1967 or so Travco Motorhomes  –  It will provide you with seating during the day and sleeping at night.  My father converted a ’54 Flxible with twin front couches that folded into bunks.  For what it is worth I would do the same with your front Couches  .  .  . 

In the for what it is worth department, the back of the couch had a piece about 9”, on a piano hinge, that folded behind, giving the back of the couch a nice seating angle and resulted in a top bunk that was as wide as the bottom.  He used 3 web straps that connected onto eye bolts that went through the roof ribs.  - - >  Strong enough to support 280 + pounds for the night – repeatedly.  When traveling, In a slide, I am thinking that it would be better to support the top bunk from the floor but hey, I am a Bus Not so I haven’t gotten that far yet ! 

I also believe that the best location for a Water Tank – Water Pump & ( Electric) HWH is under the back bed, with all of the plumbing run up on one side of the bus  .  .  .  thus all of the water using apparatus should be on that one side of the bus.  If you run your hot and cold water lines inside your floor heating duct you greatly lessen the chance of freezing, if using the bus in a colder climate is a concern.  ( ’54 Flex was used skiing in the Northeast and Canada in the late 70’s without freezing problems.  Yes, it was a wooden heating duct with access points throughout and a little salt and hot water in the holding tanks allowed us to dump every Sunday night. )

Last but possible least, I believe that you get more usable space with the back bed turned sideways .  .  .   just an opinion and not base in scientific fact.

With the exception of the above comments, you have incorporated all of the same components I envision in our ( To Be ) family bus.

Rick

Offline tekebird

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 08:16:51 AM »
your master bed against the wall may not be an issue now but it will be down the road.  Making a bed like that and having to climb over your bedmate is a pain.

TV location gives fairly limited view for some seats

I would set it up with the bath utilityes all on ne side in thier own room.   or....have the shower opposite the toilet/sink.

with this oposite setup either facility can be used at the same time, but with doors that swing opposite and latch to the oposite wall you in feffect make your bathroom quite larger and provide a private area to dress, towel off etc.

Question:  What is your anticipated regular passenger capacity.

Offline paulcjhastings

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 08:34:45 AM »
TV will be mounted long way vertical(widescreen) on a hinge, and will swing up 90 degrees out of the the cabinet and be held in place at the ceiling  with a gas strut.

There will be five of us, there is one other bed mounted up front above the driver like a class C that will latch at the ceiling when not in use. Bus can still be driven with bed in down position. It is easier to see some of this stuff in my original drawing due to the fact that I used color to differentiate items.

Also remember, this is a Setra and I'm using the space based on the mechanical systems I have to work around. 
Paul Hastings
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel

cody

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 09:36:35 AM »
Paul, I like the layout, is the door going into the bathroom doing double duty? Does it swing far enough to close off the toilet area as well as the kitchen area, another question on the pantry, are you using drawers or a pullout slide for the stuff?  We set our queen bed the same way in the back but eventually moved it to the center of the back cause libby wanted night stands and individual closets, one on each side of it, but looks not only workable but efficient.

Offline paulcjhastings

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 09:46:55 AM »
Cody,

Yes, the door generally will be closed to keep the stool private. Yet, when needed can be opened to make the vanity, shower, and stool separate from the front.

Pantry will probably be an upper and lower slide unit rather than drawers.

The bed is not in the ideal position, but it was easier to drop the floor on one side only(lees work on the passenger side since that is where Setra placed the original bathroom) rather than both. My boys beds are up against the walls in their rooms so I have developed a halfway decent method for making a bed in a less than ideal position.
Paul Hastings
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel

cody

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:57:13 AM »
The hardware for pantry slideouts is quite expensive but I've used regular drawer slides to make them work just fine and at a fraction of the cost of buying the hardware that they want you to use, the key is to mount the drawer hardware both top and bottom because of the weight involved and the tip factor due to the height of the pantry arrangement.  With pullouts you can still easily get to the back items and from both sides as well.  If you look around you can find the hardware that requires you to lift the pullout slightly to pull it out, that prevents the pullout from sliding out on the road.

Blacksheep

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 10:27:55 AM »
If I were to do over again, I would put the bed sideways rather than front to rear!

In your kitchen area, why not put the fridge and pantry on the same side as the stove and kitchen counter! Maybe use a smaller dinette or maybe a free standing table (actually table is built and mounted against wall) and chairs. We went that way in this coach and love it over our Eagle and it's stationary dinette! Gave us more room!
Also it appears you have LOT of counter space! When preparing foods, you'll find you won't need as much as you think making for wasted space!

Bunks are definitely in the wrong place! Looks like they are in the bathroom and if this is a 40 footer, which I think it is, you will be cramped for room!

You may want to think about moving your kitchen area more to the rear. You don't live in the kitchen so your there a small part of the time. Might want to think about a walk thru bathroom. Saves a lot of space even though it means running pipe on both sides! It's really not that much extra work!

These are just my opinions and only you would know what would work best for you and your family! If this fits your lifestyle, then go for it! I've always said, it doesn't matter what another thinks. I have to like it! I know my design on my coach doesn't suit a lot of people that have seen it but they don't have to stay in it. I do and it works fine for me!

BS

Offline tekebird

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 11:34:50 AM »
Kitchen does not need to be as large, Fridge on same side as kitchen. to maximize dinette space wue a yacht style u shape rather than two benches, sill will seat 4 or maybe 5 depending on how long it is, but will take up alot less width.

why are you dropping the floor in the bedroom only on one side....whats the interior ht of a setra?

I would also say instead of the  couch on one side put 2 captains chairs, with either a cabinet or fold up aircraft stlye table.

2 couches in a bus really majkes things feel tight......not to mention some folks don;lt care to ride sideways all the time.

also the two chairs with a table  will increase your feedability or spread some folks out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal