Author Topic: Zonda  (Read 7880 times)

skipn

Zonda
« on: June 25, 2008, 08:55:54 AM »

Knew about them and figured there probably are some in the US but first time I have seen them on e-bay.

It will be interesting to see if this changes anything or am I just way behind the curve?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Buses__Lot-Of-3-New-Zonda-Coaches_W0QQitemZ320267335123QQadnZBusesQQadiZ2802QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320267335123&

Skip

Dreamscape

Re: Zonda
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 09:00:53 AM »
I just saw them on eBay also and was about to ask some questions.

I've never heard of them before. Where are they made?

Paul

skipn

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:05:43 AM »

China I believe

http://www.zonda.com/enzonda/products/bus/index.htm

Look familiar in design................there was a lawsuit between them and a euro manufacture.

Skip

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 09:06:06 AM »
Chinese made with Freightliner motorhome chassis.  Seen them at our dealership-actually don't look that bad, but who knows how they're really built? Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Dreamscape

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:09:13 AM »
So, where is the Freightliner chassis being built? China too?

Paul

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 09:19:27 AM »
They are Chinese. There was a thread on here some time ago about them, specifically about the fact that they have a model (the A9) which is a carbon-copy rip-off of the Neoplan Starliner design.

I've no idea what the build quality is like or if they use bought-in or propreitory mechanical parts. Presumably they are cheap to buy, but selling new ones on Ebay is a bit strange unless it's just a way of publicising them

Jeremy

(Added after 3 replies posted as I was typing this) - TomC - isnt it the new Stallion coaches that use the Freightliner chassis? Or do Zonda use them as well? I wouldn't have expected that the A9 model could be based on a motorhome chassis as it is a huge triple-axle thing

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

skipn

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 09:22:44 AM »

Built in China................in the future maybe a moot point

from their press release in 2007
"Through the business investigation and further discussion with Mexico’s partners, two parties are planning to invest 20 million US dollars in Mexico to set up a bus assembly factory with an annual output of 2000 buses by the end of 2007, which will greatly boost the cooperation with Mexico."

Skip

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 11:47:50 AM »
The new Freightliner chassis  that I am aware of is the Sprinter. Being used as airport shuttles as well as vans. My SIL has a new van that U-Haul provided him for his use  as a Regional Area Mgr. It is diesel and he is averaging better than 20MPG here in the hills of WV. Somehow the name Dodge Sprinter also comes to mind, but I do not remember what the association is.

Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Bob Gil

• Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 11:56:12 AM »
From things I have read I understand that China does not respect copy rights, and have reproduced the big 4 door Jeep and many other items that we have here.  I am not sure of the quality I am sure it is not what you would expect here.
Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 12:11:09 PM »
They basically steal anything.  It's considered a reasonable business practice.  There are even companies that make counterfeits of counterfeits.  All the emphasis in on appearance and getting it out the door.  They'll sell "new" machines that were constructed out of used parts.  Unless the product comes from a known, reputable manufacturer that is assembling in China, it is likely to be crap.  Every time I take another chance on a Chinese tool, I am disappointed.  The last one was a wire wheel I bought at a flea market.  I figured, "what could go wrong with a wire wheel?"  Well, when I tried to use it, it made the grinder and table shake so much that my little parts draws were dancing open.  I was considering getting a Chinese plasma cutter, but that incident reminded me not to.  Incidentally, I bought another wire wheel at Home Depot that was also made in China, but this one was fine.  So, if you can buy a Chinese made bus from MCI or Freightliner, it would probably be okay.  If it's from some importer or a Chinese company, you'll be sorry.  Zonda, Batman!  Sorry, I couldn't help it.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 12:16:30 PM »
Richard, FWIW Freightliner is the owner of Oshkosh/John Deere and build a lot of motor home chassis for different buses and S&S motor homes.Scanica supplies a lot of the Chinese made buses with chassis like the new BCI bus they have a large plant in China

Dallas

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 01:51:30 PM »
To Paraphrase the Beach Boys,

Help Me Zonda,
Help, Help Me Zonda,

Help Me Zonda, Yeah,....Get it Out of My Yard!

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 02:09:57 PM »
Dallas....that was a good one.  Hee hee hee.  I was going to ask what the name meant.  Like...is the bus an unnatural offspring of Godzilla and Honda Motors Ltd.?  Or, maybe it is just payback for all the times Godzilla has flattened the Yokohama-Tokyo Metro area?  :) :) :)

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 03:12:42 PM »
Dallas....that was a good one.
Just what I need, you guys encouraging him.   ;D
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

Offline junkman42

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 03:19:50 PM »
Dallas You have made My day a lot brighter.  Please can We have more?  John

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal