Author Topic: film for windows  (Read 4573 times)

Offline CAROLINABOY

film for windows
« on: July 01, 2008, 07:18:07 PM »
I read a thread and this film for windows came up , the film I think they are talking about is from home depot and it keeps the summer heat out and the winter cold I'm not sure of the percents, it is applied like window tint and it does work I had a mobile home at surfside beach sc and it works great.
servant for JESUS CHRIST

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
Re: film for windows
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 07:31:39 PM »
Must buses have factory tinted windows,,,,,   sometimes the front windshield needs a little help.
Mine are pretty dark.

Bill
Tampa Bay
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 08:35:34 PM »
We used a film that we purchased at the E-place.  It was for vehicle windows, called limosine black.  It has a metal in it that cut the heat transfer down amazingly well.  From the outside the window looks black, from the inside you don't even notice it's there.

In California you are not allowed to darken the windshield area.  Not because of safety, but because law enforcement wants to be able to see in the vehicle.  You can do a dark strip across the top and fade it down into the driver's viewing area.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
AN340
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:12:39 PM »
I am looking for a window wrap (perforated) that allows the folks inside to see out but not the other way around. It is usually associated with a bus/rv wrap. It is also supposed to help with the glare. Anyone had experience with this stuff?

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline tekebird

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »
I do, what application do you intend?

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 05:40:56 AM »
I want to place this material on the windows to completely black them out. They have been covered inside and perhaps a darker cover outside will help reduce heat.

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline pipes

• Tug boat dude.
  • I was captain on this Tugboat around Nigeria
    • My eagle bus project
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 10:50:10 AM »
Re: film for windows............Try "Gone with the wind " ??? ...........Sorry 'bout that!
Stanwood WA.. North of Seattle.
05 Eagle plus air bags.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 07:57:26 PM »
I'd go with a standard vynyl if your just looking to cover them up...and a lighter color...maybe even incorp some graphics.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 10:34:57 PM »
The film is made by Frost King and is called "window insulation kit".  It uses a mylar type shrink film that is stuck to the window frame or adjacent wall with double sided sticky tape before the film is shrunk.  The film doesn't contact the glass in any way.  Film is crystal clear and you could even put the stuff on the inside of the windshield and drive without worry....it is that transparent.

Frost King part number is V75.  They have other larger and smaller kits.

HTH,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline scanzel

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 04:05:26 AM »
Home Depot and Lowes carry window films made by Gila in the window treatment section. I bought some frosted last night. I will be having a side isle bus with a full bathroom and I am leaving one window uncovered so we can have light in the bathroom area, so I am covering the window inside with the frost film. I will get light but you cannot see inside from the outside even at night. Shadows only and I will still have a shade also. The frosted film would work in your situation. Since I am not skinning my bus I will also be using this on the windows that will be covered on the inside so you cannot see in.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 04:31:36 AM »
The film is made by Frost King and is called "window insulation kit".  It uses a mylar type shrink film that is stuck to the window frame or adjacent wall with double sided sticky tape before the film is shrunk.  The film doesn't contact the glass in any way.  Film is crystal clear and you could even put the stuff on the inside of the windshield and drive without worry....it is that transparent.

Here's a link to look at what JohnEd is talking about: 
http://philadelphiaathome.com/dct/54/id/4530/mid/2141/Home-Window-Insulation-Kits.aspx

My question, Is this something you guys use up North?

Looks like something you would put on once you close the house up for the Winter!

Inquiring minds need to know......

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 08:02:02 AM »
It is an inexpensive alternative to storm windows.  We used to use it in NM where we got pretty cold winter weather and lived in low $$$ homes.  Works very well.  It does block the ability to open the window, but in that weather that wasn't a problem.  It completely seals air leaks and creates a dead air space.  As John said it is very transparent and doesn't look bad.

I haven't used it in my bus because I do want to open my windows.  But in a bus with non-opening windows or that was in extreme hot/cold climate where you wouldn't open them anyway, it would be a BIG help.  On a bus with curved sides/windows like mine, I'm not sure how well the mounting tape would hold when you heat shrink it.

Thanks John for bringing this product up.

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 08:10:19 AM »
Thanks JohnEd this is what I've been looking for.... and thanks a lot Cliff for the research and info.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 08:27:36 AM »
I had posed a similar question a while back:  http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=7056.0

It might be worth reading.  One thing that came up in the thread is to be careful what you do with the inside of the window if it is double pane.  Some suggest that it could cause problems with reflected heat.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 09:00:05 AM »
If you are going to install a window film, you may want to buy or get some samples of the ones you are considering.  Like sunglasses, they change the color tones of what you see.  Our bus has window films.  All but one of the windows has the same stuff that sort of deadens the colors of the landscape.  The one other window has different film that makes everything seem more vibrant.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal