Author Topic: Thinking about another heavy duty alternator as a standby!  (Read 4206 times)

Offline grantgoold

Thinking about another heavy duty alternator as a standby!
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:05:20 PM »
I am thinking of placing an additional alternator on my 6V92. Of course belt driven and designed to provide additional electricity to the start batteries, and various other needs. If you have done this on your powerplant or can provide me with a model and number of the unit you would use, please let me know.
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline 47FLXclipper

Re: Thinking about another heavy duty alternator as a standby!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 10:51:34 PM »
something to consider ... a loaded alternator requires about 1 HP for every 25 amps output ... changing the existing one to a slightly higher rated one might be much more economical than doubling the load

Bill
1947 Flxible Clipper on Vancouver Island

Offline TomCat

• It's 4:20 somewhere...
    • Jay's Conversion Pics
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:59:15 PM »
Here ya go Grant.

You'll need to supply your own pulley, but other than that this 200amp Leece Neville, with 3 stage regulator should do the job.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEECE-NEVILLE-2800-JB-200-AMP-ALTERNATOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33573QQihZ007QQitemZ170231853190

HTH,

Jay
87 SaftLiner
On The High Plains of Colorado

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:20:06 PM »
You'll need to supply your own pulley, but other than that this 200amp Leece Neville, with 3 stage regulator should do the job.

Jay, that's a 12-volt model.  I would think that Grant needs 24-volt for his MCI.

You'd be hard pressed to find an air-cooled 5,600-watt alternator.  The one you've linked is a mere 2,800 watts.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline 06 Bill

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 05:26:35 AM »
On our Toyota I welded another V pulley on to the original alternator pulley. Fabricated a quick mount for a one wire 100 amp alternator, some welding cable and the
correct belt. A small wedge under the Toyota throttle stop to give high idle and you are good to charge your Batts. Quieter than most generators.

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 06:29:54 AM »
That alternator is very similar to the alternator I added to charge the house battery bank.  Started out with a Delco 22SI and it was not nearly as robust as the Leece Neville 2500/2800.  They make several amp rating versions, but do not label them, so you can't be sure what unit you have.  I know mine is not the 200 amp version, but it did try to stall the test stand motor (unlike the 22SI).  My guess is that it is a 130amp unit.  I did quite a bit of research on the LN and it seems to be far superior to the Delco.  The unit on Ebay seems to be a fair price, if it is what they say it is (LN does not list a 200amp version for that series in their literature).

Now for my real reason for posting.  Jay mentioned the three stage regulator (102200).  That is NOT the same as the three stage battery charging system that good inverters/chargers have (bulk/absorption/float).  The 102200 regulator is stated as being "3-step".  where the voltage can be set (13.6/14.0/14.4).

LN does have 24V alternators with the same foot print/mount.  Go to http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/alt_search.php and look at the 6.5 inch frame.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 07:17:08 AM »
... designed to provide additional electricity to the start batteries, and various other needs. ...

I would think the original alternator (likely 50DN) is capable of all the charging juice the start batteries can handle.  The more common use of a second alternator is to independently charge a 12V house battery system.

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 07:53:37 AM »
and my 50DN will charge both my start batteries and my house batteries faster than any other method I have available
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 08:00:39 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the input. I will continue my investigation.

Grant

Celebrate our Freedoms and Remember Those who Paid the Price so we can watch Fireworks!

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline Tim Strommen

• Electronics Geek
    • Bus Page
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 03:04:26 PM »
You'd be hard pressed to find an air-cooled 5,600-watt alternator.  The one you've linked is a mere 2,800 watts.

Yes, while it may be difficult, it's not impossible.  C.E. Niehoff makes the "C803D" (the "d" stands for "ducted" referring to the air entry, they make a non-ducted air-cooled version as well).  This alternator is a 24V 500Amp part (12kW) - the "difficult" part is the price tag around $5K US. (each, without a v-reg).  These are primarily designed for use in the M1-A2 "Abrams" battle tank (they need a lot of juice for the, umm - "accesories" ;D).

-Tim
Fremont, CA
1984 Gillig Phantom 40/102
DD 6V92TA (MUI, 275HP) - Allison HT740
Conversion Progress: 10% (9-years invested, 30 to go :))

Offline Hartley

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 03:45:24 PM »
I have a couple of 12kw 28 volt aircraft turbine start/apu generator heads.

They will crank out 12 to 32 volts depending on how hard you exite them.
The shaft RPM is 12,000 and come on a 75hp Gas Turbine system..

But I do have one loose one. No regulator however. The manual I saw said
they would boost start down to 12 volts @ 1,000 amps.

Used on Hueys and Jets...

Dave...
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 03:50:11 PM »
Dave, is that by chance a 400 hertz generator. The reason I ask is that 12,000 rpm is often seen on a 400 hertz unit.

Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal