Author Topic: Stories for Bus Conversion Magazine  (Read 7004 times)

Offline writingchef

Stories for Bus Conversion Magazine
« on: July 07, 2008, 05:15:33 PM »
Bus Conversion Magazine is always looking for good copy to put in our monthly magazine. Conversions (successful or unsuccessful), special projects, surprises, technical subjects, even stories about bus nuts that are special. Contact me directly through the magazine or the message board if you have an idea or want to become a writer. (Pay is lousy!)

Dennis Myers, Editor BCM

Offline bubbaqgal

Re: Stories for Bus Conversion Magazine
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 05:18:29 PM »
Dennis is easy to work with and very polite with his corrections.  Pay is one free magazine. LOL
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

Offline chazwood

• Thekempters
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 05:45:01 PM »

;D
1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 02:14:44 PM »
If we submit an USM (unsolicited manuscript) to the magazine and if they print it, does that give us the bragging rights that we are "professionally published writers" or something like that?  Sounds good to me.  The stories we could tell.  He he he.  :) :) :)

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 03:14:28 PM »
If we submit an USM (unsolicited manuscript) to the magazine and if they print it, does that give us the bragging rights that we are "professionally published writers" or something like that?  Sounds good to me.  The stories we could tell.  He he he.  :) :) :)

Yup.  You wrote it, that makes you a writer.  It got published that makes you a published writer.  You received compensation for it (the free magazine) that makes you a professional published writer.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 03:32:07 PM »
And you will be listed in that magazine as a Contributing Editor.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 07:27:53 PM »
Hi HB of CJ,
I'm not sure that would be anything to brag about. In the July 2008 issue of BCM on page 34 the centerfold Prevost is an '87, on page 37 it's an '89, and on page 43 it's an '86. I'm not sure if the errors are the author's or the editor's. In either case it doesn't reflect well. It leaves me wondering if it really is a Prevost.
On another note, I am sure glad that Doreen Orion's bus year is over. It seemed to me that all she was interested in on the trip was how many painted nails she had, where the best wine was, and where the best resturant was. With all the natural beauty there is in Alaska and Canada that she could have photographed, why did we have to see so many pictures of her bus month after month? Oh yes, I forgot, you get what you pay for at BCM.
Oh well, Sam 4106
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline Ray D

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 08:38:28 PM »
I thought Doreen's articles were well written, I for one enjoyed them, everyone knows Alaska and Canada are beautiful, but for the newbee, where do you stay, eat, and get that adult beverage?  And who can resist looking at a picture of a Prevost!!!!!!Oh my!!!!

Ray D

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 05:14:54 AM »
Tough crowd!  ;D
Personally, I think they should focus on 4501's  ;)  ;D  :o  8)

It is tougher still to write a couple of articles & almost impossible for me to continue after that.  :(

I have a few started, when I find the time, I'll finish them & send them in.
BUT- If I'm gonna be micro critiqued for punctuation & grammar, I may not look for the time.  :o

Yes, there is room for improvement, but you need to understand that the market for this type of magazine is quite limited, & like with everything else, we do the best we can with limited resources.
Would I do things differently? You bet I would! - BUT WAIT, I don't have a magazine, so maybe If I was running things there wouldn't be a magazine . . . . . Something to think about.  ;)
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 07:07:38 AM »
Post Deleted.

Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 11:10:38 AM »
I wuz tld bi a sycologie maygor specializing in developement psyc that any owrds you miss spell in the 5th grade you will probably missspelll for the rest of your life.  Don't ask me how I verified the validity of that information.  I have yet to be able to get the "E" in "somEthing" even most of the time.  I am at the point in my life where I am starting to deny having a Masters.

You should have your hands full on this editing scorre.

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline chazwood

• Thekempters
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 11:44:02 AM »
I tell ya what's tough for me as a writer....besides the spelling....( when I hit spell check it doesn't even know what I was trying to say... >:() what's tough, is the total lack of feedback.

When I wrote on this board, people would write in and comment. Instant feedback.

When I write for the magazine.......... Silence. Zip. Nada.

Gee....wait a second... I just thought of something.... maybe silence is a good thing....maybe it would hurt my feelings to know what you think. :)

No. really.... I wouldn't mind any kind of feedback ......Good or bad.

And to be really honest with you, I'm not even sure what issues my stuff is in....so, how's that for flying blind?

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 05:21:47 AM »
Chaz,
    I have written over 25 articles for Bus Conversions and Coach Builders Bulletin.  Rarely any feedback except an occasional in person "Jack, I liked your article". Only a couple emails asking for additional information, photos, sources, etc.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 05:51:19 AM »
I bought a bunch of extra copies when I got published  ;D
That's how I keep up with the time & how it does fly!
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »
Jack and Chaz,
I for one, have enjoyed your articles.  Well written and good pics.  Thanks for all your efforts!  Without guys like you, who will make an effort, look what the rest of us would miss.  Good going.
Dennis
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal