Author Topic: Any ideas to cover window opening temporarily (No duct tape!)  (Read 10940 times)

Offline belfert

I need to remove one of my windows for a few weeks.  Any suggestions on how to cover the hole durng this time?  I will need to be able to open and recover the hole a few times.

No duct tape as I did that during the window covering phase and the duct tape adhesive failed when it got into July and the temps got into the 90s.

This window needs to be resealed anyhow and I want an easier way to get stuff in and out besides using the front door.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Blacksheep

Re: Any ideas to cover window opening temporarily (No duct tape!)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:17:10 AM »
No duct tape? Ah geez, can't help then!

BS

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 11:23:32 AM »
I repaced the glass with plastic / then fiberglass of the same thickness as the glass.  All the seals and frame could be re-used.  Can be painted to  mathc the bus, or left as is for a while.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:26:04 AM »
Brian,

Get a tarp from HF or the like and drape it over the entire bus.

The tarp only needs to be the width or a little larger than the window.

Tie a few ropes to the tarp on the non window side and the same on the window side just using a few bungee cord to either fasten it to the under carriage or a few cement blocks on each side.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:36:27 AM »
Not sure of the contours around your windows, but here is another idea.

Take a piece of 1/4"-1/2" plywood (1/4" will be lighter, hence easier to handle) 1-2" larger than the outside exposure of the window opening.  Apply a strip of adhesive backed weather stripping around the edge of it on the side to face the bus too make it reasonably weather tight and prevent marring the paint.  Attach blocks of wood the thickness of the wall (no thicker, a 1/4" thinner would work, but not thicker) to the plywood, in board from the edge just enough to fit in through the window opening.  Mount a piece of 2x2 atop each block using a single bolt.  Leave these pieces loose enough to pivot.  These are the latches.

Place the piece over the window and have someone inside turn the latches to hold it in.  Once in place, thighten the screws on the latches.

Offline belfert

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 01:01:43 PM »
The plywood idea sounds like a really good one.  I think I have something that will work in 3/8" plywood.  It has some holes, but I can caulk them shut.

The window I am removing is a Peninsula/Motion Window so the whole thing is coming out.  The window is still good and I don't have any old window frames left.

Thanks for the ideas.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 02:10:02 PM »
Brian,
Cliff stole my idea! And I want it back! LOL! ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline belfert

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 08:52:43 PM »
I thought about the tarp idea before posting here, but I am trying to sell my house so I don't really want a tarp over the bus.  The plywood window cover would be pretty well out of view.  I do have a massive tarp I covered the whole bus with back when I was skinning over the original window openings.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 05:12:03 AM »
What HTRN said. I'd add another couple blocks of wood and cross piece to the center to make a handle (or maybe two handles) so you can install it from within the bus by yourself. You should be able to put it through the opening diagonally and then line it up, pull it in tight using the handle(s) and then flip the latches over the edges.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 09:35:31 AM »
What HTRN said. I'd add another couple blocks of wood and cross piece to the center to make a handle (or maybe two handles) so you can install it from within the bus by yourself. You should be able to put it through the opening diagonally and then line it up, pull it in tight using the handle(s) and then flip the latches over the edges.

also using wing nuts to tighten the latches will make it easier to be a one man operation too! FWIW ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 04:09:37 PM »
The plywood seems like a nice way to do this job.  I just wanted to make sure that people know that gorilla brand duct tape has better adhesive than most.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline belfert

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 07:34:02 PM »
I made a plywood cover for the opening, but the plywood I choose is kinda warped so it doesn't seal the best.  I need to add some more hold downs so it seals properly.  For now I put duct tape around it, but since the duct tape isn't holding any weight maybe it won't come loose in the heat like it has when the duct tape is holding up plastic.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal