Author Topic: Sanyo Mini Split  (Read 7199 times)

Offline buddydawg

Sanyo Mini Split
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:52:34 AM »
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Sanyo 11,900 BTU Heat Pump Air Conditioner Kit (Item# 12KHS71)
Any speak now or forever hold your peace advice or opinions?  I have been comparing the mini splits for some time now and found this one to be a good buy as far as the ratings go.  High SEER and it uses an inverter compressor for soft starts which should be easy on the power source.

http://www.minisplitsystems.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=12KHS71

I have 46 days to go until I have made plans to use the bus.  Wish me luck....
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA

Offline Lee Bradley

Re: Sanyo Mini Split
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:07:40 PM »
Looks like a good unit. I have been looking at the Sanyos and I have heard good things about them on the board. My question is where are you going to mount the inside unit? According to the instructions, that unit should be mounted 12" below the ceiling and I'm not sure just where to put it.

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 12:27:45 PM »
I have a few locations in mind.  think I'm gonna try mounting on the side over the front curbside wheel well.  That puts me near the front (good for the driver) and the clearances should not be an issue there.
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:31:47 PM »
For that kind of money, I would highly recommend you look at the DometicUSA.com site and go to the truck section-look at either the 14,000btu all in one or 14,000btu split with resistance heat.  The all in one can mount in the bottom of a closet with the exhaust and intake for the condenser cut through the floor.  Then you only have a 6 or 8" duct to the top of the cabinet.  The Sanyo split is way to huge for a bus.  The interior evaporator is an eye sore to try to locate, and the outside condenser is a problem to try to duct properly.  The Dometic truck units are made truck tuff and are easy to install.  Please take a look before buying a home unit like the Sanyo then trying to make it fit in the bus, when the Dometic is designed for exactly what you want to do.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Blacksheep

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 01:55:49 PM »
Buddydawg i had tha similar unit made by Sanyo in our Eagle. It worked GREAT! You never have to worry about the weather being too cold or too hot because it will either chill you out or heat you up and quickly! My bus had two units, one in the rear and one in the front! I NEVER used the one up front. Never had to! The wall unit is not that bad to install and mine only set out from the wall about 5 inches! That was the one up front! The BR unit was larger as it sat on the floor against the wall! Very similar to what one might find in a motel room! Both were remote controlled and like I said, they worked flawlessly! Didn't really want to see them go but when the bus sold, they went with it!

BS

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 02:41:12 PM »
Hi Buddy,

Great System! We install lots of Sanyo Splits and you have a great price with that site.

Please remember to use "Sheilded" 14ga. power wires between the outdoor and indoor units. If not, you may have comunication problems..

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Lee Bradley

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 03:38:14 PM »
Tom,

How much are the Dometic units? I have tried to find a price on line but no luck.

Lee

Offline Jerry Liebler

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 04:28:48 PM »
Buddydawg,
      I think you have chosen a winner!   I'd rec comend mounting the indoor unit high on the curbside wall, just behind the door as this will give a nice cool blast of air out to the driver.  These units blowcold air down and away from the wall they are mounted on with some forward or rearward direction available.  I wish I had mounted the indoor portion on the curb side (mine is behind the driver) as my copilot gets the best cool air flow.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120

Offline TomC

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 04:31:37 PM »
Around $1800 for the all in one and $2100 for the split.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 04:38:17 PM »
the Sanyo split is a cool unit. I have a buddy that has one in his workshop.

I can't imagine trying to "hide" it in the bus though.......unless you don;t mind the "utilitarian " look

Blacksheep

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 04:47:20 PM »
I found pics of my Eagle and you can see the inside front unit on the wall above dinette.

Blacksheep

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 04:48:52 PM »
and another showing the unit outside in the old ac compartment.

By the way, that old "Z" stripe sure makes an 01 look awful long doesn't it?

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the different views and ideas, I'll take them into consideration before I commit.  My main concern about the unit is making the inside unit blend in as much as possible.  But I'm in Georgia, so as long as it COOLS I'll be happy.  I am really impressed with the inverter compressor technology if it works as advertised. 
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 10:54:28 PM »
Dawg,

I have heard it said that the house units are not as rugged as the RV designated equipment.  I am hearing that those that used the house units had no problem and I still haven't heard a single bad thing.  I think you are so close to a winner that you should try to get by with a single 1 ton unit.  I might be wrong but if to turn it on full cool and wait a while you should see the max temp differential you can do at that ambient.  For instance:  at 80 ambient you might be able to drop the temp 50 degrees.  From that info the question is how many degrees could you drop the temp inside if it was 110 ambient.  The answer better be 40 or more and achieve it in a reasonable period of time.  I hope Nick or another will enlighten us.

I don't think the chillers are ugly.  Especially the new ones.  I would suggest you incorperate a fan that will break the stratofacation.  I think that is a must for comfort no matter what coach or wether it is heat or cold you are dealing with.

I hope you kep us posted,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 04:48:56 AM »
I have thought about using a mini-split in the front of my MC7 also because the PO removed the OTR air. Where are you going to locate the condensing (outside) unit? It is too tall to fit in the spare tire bay. My old condenser bay has a gen set in it.

Always looking for solutions........

TOM
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal