Author Topic: More slide out updates(pics)  (Read 4468 times)

Offline paulcjhastings

More slide out updates(pics)
« on: July 17, 2008, 05:58:09 AM »
Here are the pics of my nearly complete slide out room. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, all that is left is to finish weld everything, install the inner seal flanges, install skin, windows, and insulation.

On a related note I went down to the FMCA rally in St. Paul and saw up close and personal the new veranda in operation, it's pretty cool even though I'm not sure how useful it will be in practice. They had four units there that I saw, maybe more. There were a lot of people looking at them, however I didn't witness anyone writing checks ;) 
Paul Hastings
1993 Setra 215 w/ Detroit Series 60 & Allison HT748
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel

Offline paulcjhastings

Re: More slide out updates(pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 05:58:49 AM »
Here are a couple more.
Paul Hastings
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 06:02:41 AM »
Nice job Paul!!
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Sojourner

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 06:16:02 AM »
Ditto!

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

skipn

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 07:17:11 AM »

Paul,
    That is an awsome piece of work you have done. (like the shop too!)

A couple of questions more for other adventuresome builders info. Too much for my capabilities.

1. I was told most slideouts add about 1k # per slide. What weight will your slideout be? (ball park)
    2. Most slideouts I have seen have adustments to keep the slideouts true. Can you show your adjustment points?
    3. I take it that this is a permenant non removal type of slide out.....??

Thanks
 Skip

Offline paulcjhastings

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:31:33 AM »

Paul,
    That is an awsome piece of work you have done. (like the shop too!)

A couple of questions more for other adventuresome builders info. Too much for my capabilities.

1. I was told most slideouts add about 1k # per slide. What weight will your slideout be? (ball park)
    2. Most slideouts I have seen have adustments to keep the slideouts true. Can you show your adjustment points?
    3. I take it that this is a permenant non removal type of slide out.....??

Thanks
 Skip

1) I'm not sure what you are asking so I'll answer it both ways. The total weight of the slideout structure is under 1000lbs. Each slide rail is also rated to carry 1000lbs.

2) Adjustment points are slots in the 1/2" plates the mount to the slide rails. I'm hoping to never have to adjust them though ;)

3) I don't know why one would want it to be removable, but to do so all I would have to do is remove the inner seal flanges.
Paul Hastings
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel

Offline Le Mirage

• Le Mirage XL 1987
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 07:35:55 AM »
What job you do!! Gorgeous and "plus value" for your coach...I'm unable to do that...

Gaƫtan & Manon (french canadian)
Prevost, Le Mirage XL, 1987
Quebec, Canada

http://latchodromquebec.blogspot.com/2010/05/la-fin-du-voyage.html

Dreamscape

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 12:47:52 PM »
Nice work Paul,

Now you have two months to get it finished then bring her down to Texas for TBR 2008 in September. You should have it done by then don't ya think? :D :D :D :D :D

Paul

Offline paulcjhastings

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »
Nice work Paul,

Now you have two months to get it finished then bring her down to Texas for TBR 2008 in September. You should have it done by then don't ya think? :D :D :D :D :D

Paul

The slideout and most of the exterior work will be done by then, but I'll still have a mostly empty shell with a sweet slideout in it ;)
Paul Hastings
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 03:13:26 PM »
Can you teach me how to weld that good?  :) :) :)

Offline paulcjhastings

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 03:27:13 PM »
Can you teach me how to weld that good?  :) :) :)

Practice, practice, practice. The basics of mig welding are easy to pick up getting good takes time. Almost all the welding has been done by my friend, :) his shop, his welder. 
Paul Hastings
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 07:49:20 PM »
Paul, I don't see any evidence in your photos of any structural strengthening in the areas where you put the slide outs.  How did you return the lost structural strength you removed when you cut the holes for the slide outs?

Sojourner

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 08:00:47 PM »
Paul, I don't see any evidence in your photos of any structural strengthening in the areas where you put the slide outs.  How did you return the lost structural strength you removed when you cut the holes for the slide outs?

Ditto!

Offline paulcjhastings

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 05:25:24 AM »

Ditto!

So those pieces of 2X3 and 2X4 steel tubing carrying loads around the outside of the slideout must be pretty poor evidence  >:(  the other tubing tying everything back into the structure must not be doing anything either, I guess should i just give up and scrap my bus.
Paul Hastings
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 10:59:43 AM »
I certainly meant for my post to be a positive question designed to provoke some exchange of ideas.  However, after speaking directly with Paul it became clear it was very possible to interpret my question to be one of questioning his abilities.  I certainly did not want to make this a personal attack and sincerely appologize for the way I worded my questions.  There were better ways for me to ask what I wanted to know without making it sound like I was questioning his abilities.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal