Author Topic: Has anyone converted a classic red London double decker Roadmaster bus?  (Read 24062 times)

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
Hello.

Go easy on the slow speed issue. I rode on a subruban style route in the UK on vacation in the late 70's that quite nicely ran at highway speed.

No different than a GM fishbowl? Lots geared and engined for city, some set up for highway use?

Jeremy?

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
I didn't know the answer to that, so did a quick Google and found the very useful summary below which provides an answer to just about every question / issue raised so far on this thread. I for example was wrong when I said they were more than 30 feet long - in fact many of them were only 27.5 feet long, which I still cannot get my head around as they look much bigger than that.

"The Routemaster is the quintessential double decker London Bus, the last to be wholly designed by London Transport.

Conceived in the mid 1950's and built until the late 1960's, it was the last open platform bus to enter service in London and was designed for a 17 year life

Ironically, the first few models looked quite a bit different than what were used to seeing today - there were a number of different front end versions tried until they settled on what we're used to seeing today..

Although the Routemaster was designed in the 1950's, one should not forget what an advanced design it was for its time. By using a light alloy body, it was possible to produce a 64-seat bus within the weight limits of the older 56-seat RT bus. The RM also differed from earlier London designs in being of integral construction. Instead of having a traditional body and chassis, the Routemaster has a strengthened body which does not require a chassis to take the stress. The mechanical units are mounted on front and rear sub-frames rather than a heavy fixed chassis. Other novel features for a bus of the 1950's, but fitted as standard to the Routemaster, included independent front suspension, power steering, fully automatic gearbox and power-hydraulic braking. In 1961, 24 vehicles were built and then lengthened by the insertion of an additional 2ft 6in bay in the centre of their bodywork. Classified RML, this version with its 72-seat bodywork became the standard product from 1965 and remains the most common type in London today. At approximately 7 3/4 tons, the RML is still some 2 tons lighter than modern double deck vehicles of similar passenger capacity.

Many modifications or variations took place during the production of the fleet. During 1962/63, 575 RMs were fitted with Leyland engines from new. From 1964, several batches of vehicles were built with offside illuminated advert panels. Other design changes affected the radiator grille, head lamp panels, heater grille, offside route number panel, brake cooling grilles and upper deck front windows, to name just a few examples. This list does not include the many variations to the mechanical components or the interior of the vehicle. What may appear a standard bus is far from it! Following on from the fourth prototype, 68 similar vehicles (right) were built for use on Green Line routes from 1962. This production batch, classified RMC (Routemaster Coach), were built as 57-seaters, with fully enclosed platforms with electrically-operated doors, air suspension, fluorescent lighting, different interior trim, luggage racks and twin headlamps. In 1965, 43 further Green Line coaches were built to the longer (RML) 30ft length and classified RCL. These were 65-seaters and were equipped with larger AEC engines. From May 1964, 50 vehicles were delivered to Northern General Transport of Gateshead. These vehicles, known in London as RMFs, were to the 30ft length, fitted with Leyland engines, forward staircase and entrance. With different windows, interiors and many other features, they were quite distinct from the London examples. Despite these variations and the hilly operating environment, they were another successful Routemaster variant.

British European Airways (BEA) was the only other customer for the Routemaster. A batch of 65 vehicles was built in 1966/67 but to the shorter 27ft 6in length. Like the Northern General examples, they were forward-entrance and had non-London interiors, but mechanically they were fitted with the larger AEC engines and were capable of running at up to 70 mph and towing luggage trailers. In 1966, a final prototype was completed, namely FRM1, the front entrance Routemaster. It was built with some 60% of standard RM parts, an AEC engine fitted at the rear, and staircase and platform doors fitted at the front.

Nearly 1500 Routemasters have been scrapped in the intervening years, but many have been sold for further service around the United Kingdom or around the world; others have been used for a variety of non-pcv duties and numerous examples have been preserved.

Meanwhile in London, between 1990 and 1994, all but two of the 502-strong RML fleet together with more than 100 RMs, were re-engined with new Cummins and Iveco engines. In addition, between 1992 and 1994, 500 RML's have been refurbished for a widely quoted "further ten years" service.

A further variation to the standard Routemaster specification occurred in 1996 with the commencement of the fitment of Scania engines to London Central's RM fleet for route 36. At the end of 1994, the privatisation of London Buses was completed and now all the Routemasters in London are in private ownership. However, the 43 RML's for routes 13 and 19 remain owned by London Transport and are currently leased to the operators. From 1996, London Transport Buses have offered the individual contracts for the RM operated routes for re-tender. To date all but one of the routes has remained with Routemasters.

Sadly, 2005 appears to mark the end of the Routemaster on active service... by year end, it's planned for all RM service to be phased out (thanks to many reasons). The RM will live on, however, in both preserved buses as well as the many models shown on this site"

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

Some people may have difficulty adapting to the steering wheel being on the wrong (right) side.

Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline TomC

I drove my high schools art teachers 1959 routemaster, and I can tell you it did NOT have power steering, did NOT have independent front suspension (road rough-standard straight axle with leaf springs-lots of them), and did NOT have a fully automatic transmission-rather a preselect semi automatic that had a shift pedal instead of a clutch to activate the preselected gear.  The engine was maybe as much as 200hp and it was a dog up any kind of hill.

If you up graded to a 300hp American Diesel, and cut down the roof to 13'6" from its' 14'6", then had a hydraulically powered roof that would come back up for proper headroom when parked-that would make a unique motorhome.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
The article I included above came from a website of someone who collects diecast model Routemasters, so I thought I had better check elsewhere to make sure it wasn't all baloney. Turns out there is loads of stuff out there about Routemasters - here's a couple of things about the gearbox / steering / suspension:

Specification - The Routemaster in its standard form (built 1958 to 1965)

Width 8'
Length 27' 6"
Height 14' 4.5"
Seating 64 (28 Downstairs, 36 Upstairs)
Engine AEC AV590 9.6 litre or Leyland 0600 9.8 litre diesel rated at 115 bhp at 1800 rpm
Gearbox AEC direct selection/automatic 4 speed with electrical control and air operation
Brakes Continuous flow power hydraulic
Steering Power assisted, sweeping a 62' circle
Weight 7 tons 7 cwt (unladen)
11 tons 10 cwt (laden)
Body All aluminium stressed skin construction
Chassis Two separate steel sub-frames:
Front 'A' frame carrying engine, steering and front suspension
Rear 'B' frame carrying rear axle and rear suspension 

(from: http://www.routemaster.org.uk/faq_fandf.html)

Catalogue entry from the Earls Court Commerical Motor Show, when the Routemaster was first launched:

(from: http://www.rm8.org.uk/construction.htm)

It is perhaps worth remembering that the Routemaster was only one of many types of red double-decker buses that were running around at the time, and to 99 out of 100 people I expect they all looked the same

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Kevin Warnock

I have learned a lot more about the Routemaster in the last few weeks. Here is a site that sells them and many other used British busses:

http://www.ensignbus.com/

What's interesting is that many for sale have been repowered with Cummins engines and Allison transmissions. Does that necessarily mean that a US Cummins mechanic will be able to work on it and get parts? I see Cummins is in 160 countries and has $14B in sales, so they are big. But maybe they have totally different product lines in Britain?

It appears some Routemasters are geared for freeway driving and can go 70 mph, so that issue is now a non-issue provided I can find the right bus.

Can I import a Routemaster to the US? How much is shipping likely to be from England? How will I register it in California? I take it all this has been done before with really old cars like the original Mini.

The more I think about this project, the more I want to do it. It won't be my sole conversion. I have two others - my 1967 MCI 5a and my 1994 RTS. So I know about the hassles of having an old bus. But an old British bus is another story I know.

Thanks,

Kevin

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
I remember many years ago on some TV program (maybe "You Asked for it"), London double deckers doing doughnuts on a skid pad for driver training.  That would be a cool video to see today.  I haven't been able to find one.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Kevin, here is what California says about height;

General Rule: CVC Section 35250. No vehicle or load shall exceed a height of 14 feet measured from the surface upon which the vehicle stands, except that a double-deck bus may not exceed a height of 14 feet, 3 inches. Any vehicle or load which exceeds a height of 13 feet, 6 inches, shall only be operated on those highways where deemed to be safe by the owner of the vehicle or the entity operating the bus.

And here is where it came from;

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/trucksize/cvc-sum.htm

This is something I would do if I had the time and money, however the Scenicruiser comes first.

If you do it, please keep us informed!

I did a safety survey on a bus company in San Diego several years ago, I do not know the name, however they had one for sale.  Start there!

Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline Kevin Warnock

So, according to the Routemaster specs, it's 14' 4.5", or 1.5" over the California maximum limit for double deck busses. That seems to me to be close enough, and an inspector's tape measure probably could not measure to that accuracy anyway. Plus, the height is probably 14" 4.5" only at the center peak of the roof, not on the side where the tape measure would be. Do you think I'll be able to pass any height inspection in California? I guess I could also let some air out of the tires for the inspection... lol.

I'm still hoping to find out if the bus has springs or air bags. If air bags, I can just let some air out for the inspection.

But the more important issue is how will I plan my routes in my Routemaster? Is there an online or book resource that lists overhead clearances for some or all US roads? I don't want to appear on the news with a topless bus because my GPS 'told me' that was the route to take!

Thanks,

Kevin

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
Hello.

The Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas is what you need.

Lots of resources in the front of interest to busnuts, including low clearance locations on the interstate system.

Check one out at a truck stop near you. Always some place to buy at less than the suggested price.

I usually get a current one for around $10. Change truck stops, if they are trying to sell it for full price.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
I have kind of been out of the loop a long time now but there used to be one of those that was operated in Greenville by a bar that had what they called the Pubcrawl where people rode around from bar to bar on the bus kind of like a route. I do not know if it is still running.

Don't believe that fellow is doing the pub crawl any more and the bus is not parked out behind the house it used to be.

There is an outfit near Charlotte NC that had one and an RTS that did dpecial tours there,  Even a haloween ghost tour.

....What's interesting is that many for sale have been repowered with Cummins engines and Allison transmissions. Does that necessarily mean that a US Cummins mechanic will be able to work on it and get parts? I see Cummins is in 160 countries and has $14B in sales, so they are big. But maybe they have totally different product lines in Britain?.......

The engines in britian turn the other way ;D
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline tekebird

key wording in the ht exception is BUS.....not motorhome or house car.

Offline Kevin Warnock

Well, I have decided to put this project on the very back burner. A large seller of Routemasters in the UK strongly discouraged me from trying this project. He said there are only 10 remaining examples in the world of Routemasters that can go 60 mph. The others go 40 mph.

He also said the brakes need to be charged with a device that is very difficult to get.

He said there is no insulation at all in the Routemaster.

That, plus the problem of it being too tall to be a motorhome, really makes this an expensive project.

To do this project 'properly', I would have to put in a new engine and new gears and new brakes. I would also have to cut the roof down by a foot, and figure out how to raise it when camped. This sounds like I could spend over $100,000 just getting the bus ready to convert. Oh, and the cost to get the bus to the US is another $10 or $20 thousand dollars depending on who you ask.

Thanks for all the great comments. I still want to do this project, but it will have to wait until I make a fortune and retire.

Kevin

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal