Author Topic: Make your own mini split AC's ?  (Read 7461 times)

Offline Kenny

Make your own mini split AC's ?
« on: July 23, 2008, 06:19:33 AM »
Just an idea. Has anyone every thought of making mini split air conditioning using inexpensive residential window units. It would require disassembling a new unit, mounting the compressor/condenser in one of the bays, remote mounting the evaporator running new lines and recharge. Window units are inexpensive, could buy an extra for spare parts and usualy have better SEER ratings than RV AC units. Several of these could be installed throughout the bus. What do you think?

Kenny
1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
Re: Make your own mini split AC's ?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 06:52:03 AM »
I think it ha been done by folks here.  You will need another blower for the evap section as window units use a single motor for both fans.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

luvrbus

Re: Make your own mini split Ac's ?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:04:45 AM »
 The Prevost converters in the late 90's tried using a large split central unit that was designed for residential use and it did not last very long the ones I saw were Sayno units 

Offline rdbishop

• '68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 07:25:35 AM »
Kenny,

That's what I've had in my bus for 15 years. I have 5000 btu for the bedroom, a 7000 btu for the drivers area, and 2 12500 split rooftop units ducted from front to back for the whole bus with the OTR air. Works great.

Richard

Offline rdbishop

• '68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 07:36:50 AM »
Kenny,

I went to  an RV dealer and bought 5 junk rooftop units to make my central unit. Some of them had good compressors and bad fans, and some had bad compressors and good fans. If you split the unit ,you need the same size blower moter on both ends.

Richard

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 07:45:09 AM »
Good idea that allows multiple redundancy & also allows:
the cooling units to be located in otherwise "unusable" space
cold air fans can be selected to your level of quietness & air flow  ;D
the condensers to be located in a way that takes advantage of natural convection to reduce fan loading.  ;D
smaller units to allow constant dehumidification since one is always on
a small enough unit can be used in the bedroom that could be run off the batteries overnight  :o
smaller surge to start
etc
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 07:54:55 AM »
I took a stab at it. Made in China got me. The copper lines that need to be extended, were odd sizes and unavailable. Maybe they are available, but I could not find them. You may want to try a web search, becuse people haave done it.  Jim
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 09:07:52 AM »
There was one bus nut that used two window units to make one, since they are so cheap.  He cut both in half and used the evaporator with fan and motor from one, and the compressor, fan and condensor from the other.  I would think it would be an easy job just to set up an additional condenser fan and motor that could be tied to the compressor operation via a simple 120vac solenoid-or just plainly splice into the compressors power from the thermostat since a condenser fan wouldn't take much power.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 09:22:47 AM »
When they installed the A/C at my house, they used a 3/4 fitting for the 5/8 line. He used silver solder & said while it wasn't his preferred way, it would work. That was 15 years ago & I haven't had to add freon yet! ;D

So, if you can do a good job with silver solder, you may be able to work around the odd line sizes.  ;D
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 09:39:17 AM »
Hi Kenny,

Yes, it can be done using 2 window units to make 1 split system.

We did this on my dad's 4104 in the late 70's. The only problem with doing this today is that the window

units they sell in the stores are precicely manufactored to only last 5 years!  Most don't last that long...

We have a member "Christy & Larry Hicks" that constructed a simular system in their bus but, they ducted

the air into the bus, leaving the entire unit in the bay.

If you were to ask my advice, I would tell you to stick with the RV systems because of their ruggedness, and

easy to get parts if needed.

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

makemineatwostroke

Re: Make your own mini split Ac's ?
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 10:15:32 AM »
One thing when working with refrigeration copper tubing it is not the same size as standard copper tubing and you won't buy it at a home center or auto parts store

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 10:30:48 AM »
One thing when working with refrigeration copper tubing it it not the same size as standard copper tubing and you won't buy it at a home center or auto parts store

Yes, Refrigeration copper is measured by "OD" and plumbing copper is measured by "ID".
For instance, 3/4" plumbing copper is the same as 7/8" refrig. copper.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 10:42:11 AM »
I saw a bus nut with a mobile home packaged unit in his bay and ducted up into the bus he told me it work good and I guess it did he was in Arizona in Aug

Offline Kenny

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 11:04:32 AM »
Hi Nick,
You mention that a window unit will last for no more than 5 years. Would'nt it last longer in a bus because of less usage. Residential usage is constant many months out of the year. Unless you are full timing it I would think bus usage would be less.

You do bring up a good idea using a residential window unit as-is and duct it into the coach. Seams this would even more benificial relating to cost, installation and replacement. Could be setup in a way that if it goes bad almost any unit at Walmart or Lowes could replace it. What do ya think. Kenny
1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 11:22:16 AM »
I have been thinking that when I can afford it, I might do it Larry and Christy's way with my RTS.  The condenser bay is over the engine and already well ventilated and drained.  I know RV systems would be better and in the long run probably cheaper, but they are more money than my budget can stand all at once.  Timed right, the home centers usually do cheap clearances at the end of summer.  Or, used window units can be found real cheap in pawn shops in Oct/Nov around here.

Doing it this way, I could start with one 15K window unit plus the two small temporary ones I use now (out the window).  Then eventually replace one or both small ones with another large one.  It looks like there would ultimately be room for three 15K window units back there.

After one of the smaller units is freed up, I might mount it under the dash, with the condenser vented underneath to serve as driver air and run it from a dedicated inverter when in motion or house AC when docked.  The 6500btu unit is a high efficiency one that is rated at 5amps.  So I would think a 1000W (2KW surge) inverter should be able to handle it smoothly.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal