Author Topic: Make your own mini split AC's ?  (Read 5076 times)

Offline edroelle

• 1998 Royale Prevost
Re: Make your own mini split AC's ?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 11:41:22 AM »
Kenny,

I built a s3 ystem on my original MCI 8 exactly as you described.  I just lost the 30 minutes of description though.  AUGH !!!

In summary, it worked fine with perfect reliability over 30,000 miles. 

Shortened version -

Bought condenser motors from http://www.surpluscenter.com/aboutUs.asp?UID=2007081819422496&catname=electric

Any 2 of the 3 A/Cs worked on 30 amps and maintained 72 degree interior with 102 degree Missouri exterior.   

Condensers installed in MCI front condenser area and right side of engine.  Evaporators in cabinets and end table.

I silver soldered all joints and attached them, but allowed for movement between pipe and A/c components - similar to wiring. 

I rented a tank of nitrogen to check for leaks and purge humidity.  I then evacuated the systems and called a local A/C shop to fill the units.

Great efficiencies, low power use, excellent performance, BUT, very time consuming.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 12:03:42 PM »
It may not be worth the extra effort with the some of the inexpensive mini-splits on the market.  I have seen some in the $600 range.
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA

Offline pvcces

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 11:21:22 PM »
One thing I haven't found out yet is whether the inexpensive mini-split units will run on mod sine wave inverter power. I may get a chance to test this next month.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska