Author Topic: GVW for an mc5c  (Read 4581 times)

Offline Rodsmc5c

GVW for an mc5c
« on: July 25, 2008, 10:40:10 AM »

Anyone know what the gvw is for a  79' mc5c ?

Thanks  Rod

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
Re: GVW for an mc5c
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:06:43 PM »
This is the plate on my 79 5C you should have the same plate on yurs.

Cant read th info

GVWR   14,290 kg

GAWR   front    6,051kg     rear 9,070 kg 
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 12:41:23 PM »
This is the plate on my 79 5C you should have the same plate on yurs.

Cant read th info

GVWR   14,290 kg

GAWR   front    6,051kg     rear 9,070 kg 

For anyone without a metric converter handy:

GVWR   32,893 lbs

GAWR   front  13,340 lbs    rear 19,996 lbs

Offline Rodsmc5c

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 05:24:09 PM »

Here in NH on the registration there is a box that says  "gross weight".  What number goes there?
                                        Rod

Offline christopher

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 05:27:03 PM »
my 5c weighed in at 26000 pounds
chris
mci5c

Offline Rodsmc5c

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 05:29:04 PM »

Hi chris
           Is that the number on your registration??
                         Rod

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 05:48:52 PM »
On mine, I titled it at the official GVW to be safe.  If your state charges by the pound, and your converted weight is substantially lower than the rated GVW, then you might pad your actual converted weight by an extra couple thousand pounds (to cover "stuff") and report that.

Once you declare it, that becomes your legal max weight.  It is unlikely your bus will ever be weighed by authorities during your use of it, but IF it was, and it exceeded the registered weight ...   Trouble.

Somebody will say, don't worry about it, you'll never be weighed, and they are probably  right.  But it is your choice, your risk and if ever fined, your money.  If it was me, I'd register it at 32,900 lbs.  But you have to choose for yourself.

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 06:08:58 PM »
Hmmmm,  My Florida title shows 22,000 lbs. I have no idea why I used that number. I belive someone transposed the number somewhere along the line.   The actual wieght of the bus after conversion is.  11,060 front  18,620 rear  total 22,000 ;D   Well within the GAW of the vehicle.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 06:18:05 PM »
My 5a hit the scales at about 27000#.  The book gives the GVW at 32000+.  The only possible advantage to having it registered lower is if some states have a weight limit for use of a regular license.  I once heard that some states either had, or were considering, laws requiring an upgraded license for over 26000#.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Rodsmc5c

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 07:17:18 PM »

I was thinking it was around 28000 and we do register by the pound here so it is kind of important$$  I have a call into the  DOT to have a trouper take a look at the bus and give me a number.  No one seems to have a book on the thing. I just don't want any surprises on the road, at least not from them!!!  I'll let you all know how i make out.
           thanks
          Rod

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 09:37:43 PM »
Take it to a gravel/sand pit or a truck stop with scales with all of your tanks full and all of your gear in it.  Some will weigh it for free, or a small charge.  If going thru Oregon on some roads you will find weigh stations that have a scale and readout board and nothing else there.  If the readout board is on, ( usually just showing  0's ),  you can run across and get front and rear axle weights.  In 5 years of fulltiming we have gained  about 1000lbs.  Our 5A is still under 29,000 lbs.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline Rodsmc5c

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 05:36:49 AM »

So   where did it gain the weight, around the middle or in the rear-end.?? lol

Rod

Offline lostagain

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 06:54:24 AM »
Must be all muscle, because you guys still  looked good when I saw you a month ago!
Or you must've pigged out on Joe's prime rib at Busn'USA.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Sojourner

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 07:13:44 AM »
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)  
Is the maximum recommended weight for a vehicle, including: the weight of the vehicle itself, fuel and other fluids, passengers, and all cargo.  From http://www.pc.gov.bc.ca/cmg/newweb/GVW.htm

Fill up fresh water tank, empty holding tank, full propane, all the normal traveling gear aboard, full fuel, no tools except tire wrench & jack. If you don't have generator on board or bigger still later....add the approximate weigh and whatever the future heavy idem such as A/C unit. Plus yourself & whatever person be with you on any average trip’s weight. If you are going carry spare tire all the time…need to add it.
Take your bus to any certified farm grain scale (usually free or $6 or so) and keep the weight slip in envelope with title in the safe place.

GVW of bus conversion mean no spare parts and full lines of tools…the same as any manufactured motorhome's GVW.

The title should be updated with the above GVW so the official or DOT have that to go by for any unforeseenable future check point.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 11:31:08 AM »
I took mine to one of the state truck wieghing places. They wieghed it for free!!!  Then I was told that if
i had been overwieght, I could have had some serious problems.  Better to go somewhere else.   Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal