Author Topic: Blocking up bus to get underneath, ( no pit )  (Read 6788 times)

Offline Chariotdriver

Blocking up bus to get underneath, ( no pit )
« on: July 27, 2008, 10:29:38 AM »

We are hoping to get the bus up off the ground so that we can work on it from underneath and was not wanting to die in the process (ask me again later)
It looks like we are needing some jacks (rental store ) and also some type of blocking and wanted to know what you suggest and where to block up at?
 Thanks,
 Phil
Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS

Offline Jerry32

Re: Blocking up bus to get underneath, ( no pit )
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 10:38:58 AM »
I went out to some construction sites and picked up some 4 x 12 beam end that had been trimmed off. I just drove the bus onto the blocks and then chcked the wheels. The bus co. here uses the same method and works for them too.  Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 10:45:58 AM »
Before you rent jacks, shop around for a 20 ton hydraulic bottle jack. You may be able to purchase one for little more than the rental fee (and besides you WILL need it more than once). The proper jacking and blocking points should be in your service manual. You do have a service manual?   Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Bob Gil

• Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 10:54:02 AM »
Years ago I had a freind that was needing to get under his bus and we took some rail road cross ties and cut them at an angle that he could drive up.  Cut one and you hve two ramps.  I am sure he chocked the wheels when he got it up on them.

That will get you up some, if you need to go more you can prop one end of them up with a good solid 4x4, or two.

Scrap lumber is not too hard to find around here.
Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator

luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 10:54:47 AM »
I block my Eagle up with 15 ton jack stands under the rear axle ,under the A frames on the front and the arms on the boogies buy you a air jack lot less pumping and cost about 100 bucks.Me I cheat I lift mine with the HWH levers mounted on the bus

Offline Chariotdriver

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 11:32:35 AM »
  I am going through the manuals and did run across the jack points.
 Thanks for the hints on driving it up on the blocks.
 Phil
Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 11:41:06 AM »
I am uncomfortable working under the bus.  By the time I  feel I have it blocked enough, I have no room to work.   ;D  A visit to a construction work site and asking permission to pick up some scraps will give you some blocking. 4x4, 6x6, 8x8, 2x12's are all handy sizes to have.
 On investigation a 20 ton air over hydraulic will lift 40,000 lbs, my entire bus is 29,600 lbs. If you want to lift the entire bus at one time the 20 ton might be handy.  I am lifting one corner at a time so a 12 ton is more than enough. A 20 ton wieghts apox 36 lbs, a 12 ton about 25 lbs. Much eaiser to to push around under bus. People will say get the 20 ton to be safer, dont get under bus suported  by jack is 100% safe.
 I use an 12 ton air over hydraulic jack.  I have lent it to three people they all say it will be thier next purchase. I know that Soujourner bought one after useing mine!
 Some of the jacks have a heavy return sping, My next one will definately have that feature  HTH Jim

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94487
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 01:19:16 PM »
Ebay has lots of 20 ton air jacks for about $80. ($40 for jack +$40 for shipping).  Oddly enough the few 12 tons cost more.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 02:12:01 PM »
Luvrbus mentioned having HWH levelers.  I believe that he has an Eagle which does not have airbag suspension.  Two questions: How would you mount that sort of equipment on an MCI, and would anyone consider such a leveling system safe without blocks anyway?

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 02:25:09 PM »
Luvrbus mentioned having HWH levelers.  I believe that he has an Eagle which does not have airbag suspension.  Two questions: How would you mount that sort of equipment on an MCI, and would anyone consider such a leveling system safe without blocks anyway?

Using leveling jacks without blocks to go under it would be very dangerous.  Luvrbus wasn't advocating that.  He stated that he uses the leveling jacks to lift it.  Then he uses jack stands to secure it to work under it.

I block my Eagle up with 15 ton jack stands ...

Offline Chariotdriver

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 02:36:21 PM »
  The reason that we need to get the bus up off the ground a little is so that we can get under there and do a little welding and some other clean up work.

There are some square tubing that was put in after the fact to beef up some rotted out smaller tubing.
 One of the newer pieces has cracked apart and we want to go in and get out the bad and put in some new.
 Also noticed that a piece running somewhat diagonal across the bottom of one of the tanks is cracked. It looks like an original piece so we plan on getting it up on blocks, making sure that it is level or at least on a flat plane so that when we put in some of the new pieces it will possibly travel straight down the road.
  We also plan on removing all the tires and cleaning with a steam pressure washer the entire underside and doing as much maintenance as we can handle.
 Any pointers on this or maybe a Eagle/ 6v92  HT 740 expert we can talk to as there is lots to learn.
 Thanks,
 Phil
Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 02:42:23 PM »
I did not mean to imply that he was suggesting using them without blocks, just wanted opinions on that and mounting potential.  My sincerest apologies, especially to any armed busnuts.

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 03:46:50 PM »
My sincerest apologies, especially to any armed busnuts.

;D

Well allright pilgrim.  I reckon you'll be all right then, Lord willing and the creeks don't rise.   Just stay out from under buses that aren't blocked up, ramped up or over a pit.

;D ;D ;D

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 05:54:02 AM »
Ebay has lots of 20 ton air jacks for about $80. ($40 for jack +$40 for shipping).  Oddly enough the few 12 tons cost more.

For the same $$$$ I would still buy the 12 ton, much eaiser to work with. But I am a lazy, broken down old guy. They also have a 12 ton "shortie" now. I would probobly buy that. I put my jack on a 2x12 with an  eye hook, so I can use the awning rod to pull it out fom under the bus. I do that because I am a smart, lazy broken down old guy.    YMMV Jim

Offline junkman42

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 06:02:55 AM »
Just wanted to mention that I bought a 20ton shorty jack from ebay for under 50 dollars that is made in japan and looks far better in quality than the chinese imports do.  No question that it is well made and the paint looks like powder coat.  My 2 cents,John

luvrbus

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 06:07:04 AM »
Always check your local Sam's Club I bought 4- 12 ton jacks for 19.96 each a while back and are still in the box but could not pass on a good deal

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 11:03:53 PM »
Pay attention to the space under your jacking points!

The shortest jack would be your goal.

If you can't get the jack under the jacking point with a flat tire on uneven ground....

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 11:37:09 PM »
What Jim said....Get the "air over hydraulic" from harbor Freight.  I have one and it is just supreme.  I suggest that you get the "shortie" for those bad situations and when you get that bad girl up the few inches needed....get that air powered version under there for the main lift.  You only need you thumb to jack up a bus.  I have the 20 ton.  It is fun to watch and someday i might run into a tank along the road that needs help changing a tread. ::)

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 06:27:58 AM »
Hey, this might be a dumb question but............................
The air over hydro jacks you guys are talking about, would they work for leveling when camping? Or is that a bad idea? It would seem easy enough.

Justa thought,
   Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 09:22:22 AM »
Well yes, but you would be shoving around 25/35 pounds under your bus, usually in dirt. So you would need some large pieces of wood to put the jacks on to distribute weight. Couple pieces of wood under the tires would be alot eaiser. The only dumb question is the unasked one.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 01:22:10 PM »
Chaz,

From the standpoint of "staying up"....I don't have that problem ::)  The first time I pumped up my air over H it settled in a few days. :(  After moving it, I repumped it up and it stayed up for two months till I removed it.  As for weight....yes it is heavy.  However, it the lightest thing I have ever seen that will pick up a bus by my simply pressing with my thumb. 8)  That doesn't involve high explosives, that is. ;D

Good to hear from you....again,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal