Poll

Do you play a bluegrass instrument or sing?

No
6 (25%)
Not much
4 (16.7%)
Sometimes
2 (8.3%)
A good bit
4 (16.7%)
More than I should
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: June 18, 2006, 09:34:00 PM

Author Topic: Bluegrass lovers  (Read 13443 times)

Offline Danny

• 87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...
    • Personal Web Page
Bluegrass lovers
« on: June 13, 2006, 09:30:37 PM »
I ran up on a friend on our chat room tonight that has an interest in bluegrass music.  At these bus get togethers - I would think that people pick a little music.  However, since I've not been at the point to where I can attend as of yet (the day is coming).  It would be good to know who likes bluegrass and who plays.

What do ya say"

Danny
I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
Re: Bluegrass lovers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 04:01:04 AM »
Danny,
  Although I do not play, I sure enjoy listening to bluegrass and occasionally dig out my old shoes from my clogging days. At Bussin' 2007 we had a jam everynight and a few during the day with up to about 15-20 people playing.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline phil4501

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 08:59:17 AM »
I have a bass, I can barely play it but would be willing to learn more. I wouldn't have even brought it up, but the response to your post was so low that I thought you might be desperate enough.
Phil Zisakis

P.S.   I have a instruction book, I'll go dig it out now.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 09:26:58 AM »
Danny,
I love listening to it but musically inclined I'm not, I couldn't carry a tune if someone ws to put it in a bucket for me! LOL! BK
:) ;) :D We gonna Party at the "TN Fall Bus Bash" at Knuckle's  ::) 8) ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline phil4501

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 10:12:37 AM »
Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention I have no musical talant. I can slap though.

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 10:40:14 AM »
I love to pick and grin!  I play mandolin and guitar (but I'm no professional)...
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Offline jatnip

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 10:51:02 AM »
We are a family with nine children (have a new model year coming out in November) and we use our bus to travel around and play bluegrass gospel music.  Check out our web site and if we are in your area when you have a bus gathering and let us know.  atnipfamily.com  Jim

Ace

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 12:27:37 PM »
I don't play though I have toyed around with a Mtn Dulcimer. I would like to try the Mandolin but I'm a slow learner. Susan on the other hand plays a fiddle and plays rather well, I think, and she reads music but not many grass players do that so she doesn't really need to. We have fun here at home in the evenings sounding out different tunes, when were not working on the bus! LOL

Oh I forgot to mention, she had the opportunity to play on stage at Bussin 06 with Bus Stop Bluegrass and that gave her the courage to get up on stage with another group here locally called Bits Of Grass. There's no holding her back now. I'm just the driver of the bus!

Ace

Offline JackConrad

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 02:57:39 PM »
Ace,
    If Susan gets on stage with Bits of Grass again, tell her to tell Carl Baily I said Hi.  jack

Ace

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 03:11:17 PM »
Will do Jack but the last timed she played with them he was ill and didn't play. They had some youngsters fill in since thier guitar player was also away  in a training class out of state so it left the band a little short. The 3 young players were some of the best I have ever seen. In fact two of them are brothers and they just came back from Nashville and the Opry. 15 or 16 yrs old I think. One played the Mandolin and one played the guitar. Both VERY talented and could they ever play fast! And being kids so to speak, they accepted Susan as a newbie and were very polite! The one dad (not the brothers) though had $$$$ in his eyes and it showed!

Ace

Offline glang

• 1998 Prevost XLT
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 04:30:34 PM »
I  play Guitar,bass and mandolin. Played with a band in Florida all last winter. LOVE THE BLUEGRASS.
See Jerry Hankins Pictures of last years bus get together in Nova Scotia. We had a great Bluegrass Jam.

GaryBluegrass@hotmail.com

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 05:17:57 PM »
Bluegrass is cool...progressive Bluegrass is cooler! 
Jack, recognize these guys?  These pix were taken at Oakboro, NC last weekend...that's my 9 in the background behind Jerry.   Their best show was rained out...I had to move the bus up onto the hill behind where the bus is sitting in the pix.  Afraid I wouldn't get out on Sunday morning...all this "moving" took place at 11:30 Sat nite...it was a good move. 
I play bass...play with a group called "Burfordbrothers"...burfordbrothers.com
We have good old time doing these festivals.  That's about all we do with the bus. 
Anyone wants to do some pickin' at Timmonsville, bring instruments and get ready for a party! 
Later, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 09:31:03 PM »
Nice topic Danny,

I've always sung bass - barbershop quartet, choir, southern gospel, etc.,   Played a little banjo, now just started on my life long goal - playing my new doghouse bass!!  Just got a King Bass - 3/4.  LOVE playing (OK, learning to play) that big ol' bass!  So much to learn - but all fun!  Bluegrass gospel is my favorite!!! 

NOT a professional!  Can't quit my day job...  :( 

Convinced most of my family to start on the other bluegrass instruments.  Wife; mandolin, daughter, guitar.  Me: Bass & banjo - not at the same time - :)    And all sing!

Want to get together with others & slap that bull fiddle!  ( JR's term ).

Kind Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline Danny

• 87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...
    • Personal Web Page
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 10:00:16 PM »
Hey,

The first bussin' get together I can make I will bring something with a string on it :-)

Thanks for the word!

Danny
I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)

Offline JackConrad

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 04:11:27 AM »
JR.
  Nice photos. we have not seen Cherryholmes since YeeHaw Festival in FL.  Most of our use of our bus is weekend trips to  Bluegrass Festivals and Bus Rallies.  Our upcoming October trip to Dallas's gathering will be be our first out of state trip since 2004.  Jack

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal