Poll

Do you play a bluegrass instrument or sing?

No
6 (25%)
Not much
4 (16.7%)
Sometimes
2 (8.3%)
A good bit
4 (16.7%)
More than I should
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: June 18, 2006, 09:34:00 PM

Author Topic: Bluegrass lovers  (Read 13403 times)

Offline Casper4104

• My site - no bus pics yet.
Re: Bluegrass lovers
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 04:31:33 AM »
I play a roundneck Dobro, which is kind of a Bluegrass instrument - but I don't play Bluegrass on it.  I don't have the right hand for it.

I play more old country, new country, old rock and southern rock.  If I ever got the chance I'd try to sit in, but I'd probably just slow everybody down.

Casper
If a half a hen lays a half an egg in a half a day - how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?

Ace

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 04:54:21 AM »
Ok we have a lot of bluegrass wannabee players, including myself. Who is willing to give lessons on say, a mandolin? Might get more people to attend rallies just for the lessons! :)

Ace

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 05:00:06 AM »
Ace,
   Speaking of lessons, is Susan interested in giving fiddle lessons to someone with very little music background that lives, say somewhere in SW Florida?  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Ace

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 05:04:32 AM »
Jack it wouldn't be fair to say that she is qualified to give lessons when she GETS lessons! LOL

Ace

Dallas

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 09:18:57 AM »
I play a roundneck Dobro, which is kind of a Bluegrass instrument - but I don't play Bluegrass on it.  I don't have the right hand for it.

I play more old country, new country, old rock and southern rock.  If I ever got the chance I'd try to sit in, but I'd probably just slow everybody down.

Casper

You can't slow people down....
you either play with the group or out of sync and will stop until you find a place to pitch in again.

your job is to play and sing at the top of your lungs, drink lots of thirst quenching beverages, and sing louder.
The main point is to have fun.
did I mention you need to have fun doing it?
Oh, yeah, play whaatever your comfortable with and HAVE FUN!

Dallas

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 08:16:58 PM »
Dallas, you may just be able to turn your bash into a semi Bluegrass Festival...You could get with the local radio station with the correct demographics, and do an invite.  They could camp in the T Rex field for a pittance. May have a big old jam! 
BTW, how'ed you get associated with Ghormly?  He's up in Greensboro?  Does he own a bus?  Got any babes! 
We'll see! 
Betcha bucks that people are sitting around looking for something to do.  Just have to watch the food.....They'll have to bring their own! 
Just thinking out loud. 
BTW, you have my phone number, call me tomorrow and give me yours.  I may get broke down and you would be a ton of help and an excellent electronic clearing house for info. 
Best, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Danny

• 87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...
    • Personal Web Page
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 09:41:02 PM »
Hey the lessons are a good idea - I could provide some free banjo and guitar pointers to anybody interested. 

Casper - I have played alot of different kinds of music with the banjo (not to say any of it was any good).  I have a friend who likes Dylan, CCR, Eagles, even a little Pink Floyd and blues. 

Danny
I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)

Offline fiddlearound

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 07:37:23 AM »
Didn't realize Danny was asking about musical talents.  I play the guitar, mandolin, fiddle and banjo all to moderate degrees of competancy.  I have been blessed to become aquainted with some of the best Bluegrass muscians in the country--Alan Munde, Joe Carr, Byron Berline, Kathy Chiavola, Dede Wyland among others.  They have permitted me to sit in on jams, last Saturday I was privalged to play with Byron and his band along with the Krueger Brothers at the end of a festival in Edmond, Oklahoma.  Terrific!  Looking forward to some day attending a Busnut gathering and doing a lot of jamming.  (Gotta get my MCI started first)!! 
Alton

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal