Author Topic: A few 6v-92 engine questions  (Read 9003 times)

Offline Chariotdriver

A few 6v-92 engine questions
« on: July 30, 2008, 07:57:20 PM »

I ordered a Air Throttle today ans was looking at the top of the engine and was wondering what all the air lines and equipment that is currently in place accomplishes. (non air throttle)
  The only thing that I could think it would be is the fast idle.
 And possibly the emergency shutoff.
 Will these still be in place and needed once the air throttle is in place?
  I also noticed that there is some sort of cruise cable, according to the previous owner, that need to be pulled out. Also the cable that goes down to my HT 740 transmission that will be replaced with the modulator that ties into the airline.
 Any pointers in where to get the DOT line and also the fittings as it is suggested that in the engine compartment that I use braided SS cable and also a pressure regulator up front to power the throttle with secondary air. Where does this tie into?
 Does any one know the lengths to order in advance so that the tubing and ends etc can be ordered so that I can get it coming.?

I will be doing some trouble shooting in the morning to see if I can find out more about the sensors on the transmission so that I can get the temp , reverse lights and Neutral safety working.
  There is also an additional piece on the drivers side at the front area that either has a wire or a small broken cable about 2-3" hanging out and I have no idea as to what this is or what it does.
  The RPM gauge is random and spikes and then nothing so I'm trying to do some research on where the tach gets it's signal from and it is a VDO gauge.
 Any ideas?
Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS

Offline TomC

Re: A few 6v-92 engine questions
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:18:02 PM »
A couple of pictures would be nice!  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 05:48:14 AM »
    For DOT tubing and fittings, any large truck parts supply store [Note: not all brass compression fittings are DOT approved, such as many sold at home supply stores].
    On our MC-8, we picked up an air supply at the aux. air tank that is mounted in the top of the compartment under the drivers seat, accessible from outside the bus. The line from this tank runs to a pressure regulator and then to the throttle pedal assembly. From the throttle pedal assembly tubing runs to the engine compartment. At the engine compartment, this tubing ends at a T fitting.  From the T fitting 2 pieces of tubing of equal length, one to the modulator on the transmission and one to the air throttle actuator on the governor. Only other tubing is a short piece from the throttle pedal assembly exhaust port through the floor.
    No engine compartment existing air lines were altered or removed when installing the air throttle on our bus.
    Several possibilities for tach sensor. It could receive signal from R terminal on alternator, a sensor on flywheel or a hall effect generator on an accessory drive.  As was mentioned, photos would help.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Chariotdriver

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 06:27:28 AM »
 Thanks, will be sending some pics soon.
 Phil
Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS

luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 06:32:15 AM »
Phil when you install the modulator be prepared for the oil that you will lose about 2 gallons and take care not to lose the modulator pin inside the transmission

Offline compedgemarine

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:27:23 PM »
when I put the air throttle on my Eagle I used that as a time to change the trans oil so I didnt dump it on myself. the later HT740's have a non removable pin. I dont know the year they went to that but mine was put in in 1993 and is that way. If you have the original gauges it is probably a VDO and the trans temp reads from 90 to 400, if thats the case the sender is VDO part #323-050. mine didnt work because when they changed out the trans no one put a sender in it. If you need pictures I can send you some of mine as I have no floor there so it is easy to access. I ran DOT plastic tubing for all of it. I had heard the stainless line bit before but nothing else on the motor is so why should that. when you go to the truck parts store just buy 100 feet of hose, the cost will be close to the same and you know you have enough. I also did like Jack and came off the aux tank in front. I used the port that previously went to the air doors and put a Williams Controls regulator #WM778A. it brings the pressure down to 70 psi.
good luck
steve

Offline Chariotdriver

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 09:14:11 PM »
Thanks again for the pointers and info.
 Phil
Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS

Offline Chariotdriver

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 08:33:50 PM »
 Here is a pic of the top of the engine and all the air controls.
 I'm assuming one is the fast idle but not sure what the other is.

Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS

Dreamscape

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 04:42:51 AM »
Our 8v71 has the same configuration. One is for fast idle, the other is for the shut down.

I had to replace the cylinder on ours because the rod would not travel all the way to extended position.

HTH,

Paul

Offline Chariotdriver

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 05:42:00 AM »

Thanks for the info,
 I'm getting ready to replace with a Air Throttle and am wondering how these all tie together?
 I need to do some homework on this.
 Thanks,
 Phil
Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS

Offline TomC

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 08:51:12 AM »
Phil- actually none of them tie together.  The stop/run air cylinder is on a separate circuit.  The fast idle usually has a safety switch so it only activates when the parking brake is applied.  I highly recommend the air throttle-it has a light touch and you can easily use it all day if you don't have a cruise control.  If you do want to add a cruise control, you can mount it on the engine if you have an automatic with a cable operated throttle modulator.  Or if it's like mine, with the air operated throttle modulator, I mounted my King cruise under the dash with the cable looping under the floor to pull down on the gas pedal.  Works well and is surprisingly accurate.  Can get fast idle with the cruise control also.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal