Author Topic: 6V92T problems  (Read 15933 times)

van

Re: 6V92T problems
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2008, 07:46:58 AM »
 Hey it's the least I could do since I dragged every one into this mess .The most important as well as expensive lesson learned here for me could well have been avoided simply had I not been so overly wound up about jumping on to the first rig I spotted with out doing the proper amount of research needed to make sure I got the best bang for the buck.This I accept full responsability for .This board provided ample advice and warning as to buying a suitable shell for conversion in the posts that were already posted here.although this has cost me considerable exspense ,hardship and mental anguish and being a newbie in the wonderful world of converted buses I feel an obligation to share this experience now with any new prospective BN's Do not buy with emotion ,but buy armed with confidence gained thru the knowledge and experience that can be obtained by fully reserching the threads posted on this as well as other boards available to you .Most folks here have paided the price to get into busing, some have been down this road I have traveled before me and had I heeded the warnings it might have saved me alot of grief(lesson well learned)and exspense.The end result remains the same ,how you choose to get there is up to you ! There I did my moral Obligation in passing on advice to those comin in behind me,NUFF SAID.

Still a Newbie but learning.

VAN

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2008, 08:11:46 AM »
Now Van not to pour salt in the wound but, when you were in Carmi you were less than 3 hrs from me! Or an hr and a half from Carl "FRITZ" Raines a good friend of mine and old time bus company owner. Or 45 mins from Harry Piper another old time bus hand who has tons of used buses and parts, not to mention much knowledge about them.  FWIW!  It's always a good thing to ask around and see if anyone knows someone in an area, before buying to. ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

van

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2008, 08:24:55 AM »
I agree ,this is what I am saying ,there are so many folks available to help out that can save you the exspense of tryin to go it alone.And here it comes"If only I had done my home work " I could have saved myself this grief and probably would have ended up with the right bus,and would be involved in transforming the interior. Instead here I am tryin to make up for it.In any event it all works out for the good in my case ,This has only mad me smarter and my resolve much stronger to get to where I should have been in the begining

Van

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2008, 08:32:42 AM »
Van, the engine could have been in good shape when you bought the bus and just had a bad radiator don't really know how to tell you this but reading your post most of the blame for the problems fall on you for getting the engine so hot and being that hot Fairchild is going to tell you to pull the liiners and replace the o rings not worth the gamble   have a great day and good luck

van

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2008, 04:54:09 PM »
How about this,2 up dates in one day.Well met with Don Fairchild today had a very nice visit with him ,we looked over the engine he purchased from B&B.Well here comes the bad news first,we tracked grease all over the carpet in the town house after we were done inspecting the bus engine.Now the great news ,got the grease out of the carpet before momma got home.It's amazin how many uses GOJO natural orange has and what it can clean.Oh I forgot all about the engine which was the point of the update,it's just inncredible how pleased and satisfied you can be over simple things (if ya stop to smell the oranges,HEE HEE).Oh nuts I'm sorry keep forgeting about the engine , cyl block looked good only a little oxidation on a few cylinders which will easily clean up .Don Inspected  the cylinders and pistons and determined the course of action to be "put the new set of heads on it and drive it as is for a while, engine hadn't been overheated long enough ,the oil/water passage o-rings were still in decent shape.Heads are cracked indeed but this was probably caused by the cold water added to an already hot engine over at B&B and then again when we got back home.Thermostats turned out to be 190s which explains why it ran at about 190 comin from Carmi Ill .I will replace them with 170s .I'll pick up the replacement heads when don is done settin them up and get them back on(cuts and bruises should be healed up by then).I have had enough exitment for one day and am planning to pop open this bottle of DOM sittin in the cabinet ,or maybe I'll start with the case of hiney first (too many decisions) .Probably should find a good pull out MUI just to keep as a spare  down in one of the bays huh(you never know)

almost back in the wind

Van

P.S. Prayer Works  T.Y.J

van

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 12:37:47 AM »
EDITED UPDATE

Sojourner

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 09:02:29 AM »
Hi Van….glad you have Don Fairchild to be a great assistant….like having answer to your prayer. And also like what Busted Knuckle posted to help you and anyone to take it “one thing at time”.

BK is always trying helping the bus nut to be at home in everything that transpired. That worth more than a cup of coffee, LOL. Many of us have never met BK & his family. I know there many others too trying their best to solve the problems and that is great.

We the bus nut on board can only help from our knowledge via keyboard…it not like being there to hear…to see…to smell…to use our hands to observe what is the problem. So it helps with picture but that is only one of many variables…better than nothing if the subject needs to be seen.

This is an added Caution (you may already known this rule of thumb) to anyone that having a steaming radiator that need water or coolant….either have engine run in idle mode before adding fluid to radiator…or…if the engine is already shut off and let it cool for at least an hour and then start & run engine before adding fluid.

BTW…no new or used buses purchase is ready to take on a journey without some problem…worst if purchaser is not familiarizes about bus’s mechanical & electrical in general.

I try to carry at least 5 gallon of water container with sprout or funnel, 60 pounds of tools of your choices with bus manual, 2 gallons of motor oil, trans oil, 50 ft of 12 gage THHN wire with a roll of electrical tape, large sheet of card board/folded thin to stored for emergencies to crawling under, few short pieces of 2x4s, 8s, 4x4s, at least 15 ton bottle jack…a bottle of orange hand cleaner with rags and road service insurance when ever traveling with the bus. I know I bound to miss something else.

Keep us posted. We (at least I do) always learning some new things and how we can make be more servant to the needs.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal