Poll

How much would you be willing to pay to subscribe to this forum?

Nothing
29 (67.4%)
$1.00/month
1 (2.3%)
$2.00/month
3 (7%)
$3.00/month
4 (9.3%)
$5.00/month
6 (14%)
$10.00/month
0 (0%)
$15.00/month
0 (0%)
More
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Subscription to Board  (Read 8101 times)

Dreamscape

Re: Subscription to Board
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 04:19:16 PM »
In my humble opinion I really don't think it should cost anything to any of us.

I still stand by my original thought that all of this talk of Mike selling out and now the demise ofThe Board, is not a sound business decision.

Although I value the use of this board and have received much help, if this board dies there will another one to take its place.

This board was built by all of us and maintained by the moderators. It should stay that way.  ;)

I'll probably get flamed, just how I feel.

FWIW,

Paul

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 05:27:52 PM »
if this board dies there will another one to take its place.

That is exactly why a subscription would cause failure. The classifieds are a good example. Everyone posts on the other site that is free or will use Craigslist. Craigslist, by the way, is killing the local newspaper’s classifieds.

This board was built by all of us and maintained by the moderators.

I agree; it’s a labor of love and that is why it works.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 05:37:03 PM »
it's not the software or the hardware that is expensive.  i've got a server to run it easily.  problem is bandwidth.  a good hosting site that is protected from hackers, spammers and provides reasonable performance, as this board does. costs more than a few pennies a month.
this is a helpful board with good performance, no spam, solid moderators (brownie points here) and a good group.

i'd be willing to pay, but i think some of them are correct in that if there was a fee, it would soon become a yahoo group. 

(i've been to yahoo groups.  they suck.  i'm willing to pay to avoid spammers and bots.)
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 08:45:30 PM »
oh dear....

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 05:21:56 AM »
I'll probably get flamed, just how I feel.
Paul

Paul,
   No reason to be flamed, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Reading all the post gives me more insight and someone else's opinion may point out something I never thought about.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

van

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 09:43:24 AM »
  I'll Pay If you guy's come over and fix my engine,(tee hee hee)I'll ty any thing once.

Offline |@n

• BNO - Bus Nut Online
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 07:07:26 PM »
Ahem,

Dreamscape... FLAME!   ;D

I can't see this bbs, as the motherlode of all bulletin boards for bus nuts, ever coming to an end. Matter of fact, if it's about to, please, someone, let me know - we simply can't let it happen... for an encyclopedia of reasons why. If the mag sells (and I think I'd rather hear that from MAK, thank you) this bbs and all its members and moderators will be welcome to use my 16 gig of available space and 24 gig of bandwidth per month, expandable to infinitum... uh, for free. And please, don't anyone make this about me. I could care less about traffic and revenue and anything else you can come up with. This has only to do with what's right. I vote for a free board.

MAK Bulletin Board forever! Everybody chant with me...

|@n

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 07:17:42 PM »
Hi Ian and folks,

This bbs is Not going anywhere.. Don't worry. If Mike sells, this bbs is nothing without the members that run it!

Mike has very little influnce when it comes to the bbs. He mainly stays on the side lines, and that is what let us members build the base

to grow to what it has. The bus conversion community is on hard times "fuel prices" but, we are all here and not going anywhere soon..

Ian, thanks for the warm bed if it shall ever come to that!

Free is the only way to go... ::)

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 07:19:17 PM »
Ahem,

I can't see this bbs, as the motherlode of all bulletin boards for bus nuts, ever coming to an end. Matter of fact, if it's about to, please, someone, let me know - we simply can't let it happen... for an encyclopedia of reasons why. If the mag sells (and I think I'd rather hear that from MAK, thank you) this bbs and all its members and moderators will be welcome to use my 16 gig of available space and 24 gig of bandwidth per month, expandable to infinitum... uh, for free. And please, don't anyone make this about me. I could care less about traffic and revenue and anything else you can come up with. This has only to do with what's right. I vote for a free board.

|@n

There ya have it folks! If that ain't tell'n it like it is, I don't know what IT is! Thank you I@n for putting it so eloquently! Trust me folks if there was ever a stand up guy, it would be I@n!!!!

I too vote for a free board, not that the board isn't very valuable to us. It's just once ya put a price on it, it seems to lessen the "need" or "value" of it to me! Of course this is my & only my opinion. Which is worth about a gallon of diesel if ya add $5 to it!  ;D  BK  ;D

Hi Ian and folks,

This bbs is Not going anywhere.. Don't worry. If Mike sells, this bbs is nothing without the members that run it!

Mike has very little influnce when it comes to the bbs. He mainly stays on the side lines, and that is what let us members build the base

to grow to what it has. The bus conversion community is on hard times "fuel prices" but, we are all here and not going anywhere soon..

Ian, thanks for the warm bed if it shall ever come to that!

Free is the only way to go... ::)

Nick-

Nick posted while I was try'n too. Again there ya have it folks from the 2 men who DO have a say so when it comes to busnut boards! Thanks Ian & Nick! And MAK too! Opps lets not forget Phil, Jack, Richard, Dallas, Mike & whoever else who work very hard behind the scenes to help us keep the best tool a busnut could ever have! ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Dreamscape

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 07:29:56 PM »
Ahem,

Dreamscape... FLAME!   ;D

|@n

I guess that about says it all!

I@n, you are one heck of a guy!

Paul

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 07:32:47 PM »
Ahem,

|@n

Thanks I@N. As usual I agree with you 100%.

Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 09:53:38 PM »
I cannot adequately express my admiration for I@n and what he does out of sincere love for this hobby. I have been secretly wondering where the bbs might go if it was no longer supported by MAK. I feel better thanks to I@N and Nick. Now I can start to wonder about my fairly new three year subscription to the magazine.

Thank you all,

Laryn
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 05:30:48 AM »
My original post was mostly out of fear that this board might go away.  You guys and especially I@N have most certainly put that fear to rest.  :D (Couldn't find a smiley for "Ahhh, I can relax now")

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2008, 06:41:39 AM »
Some of us like to talk too much to let this board go away.   :o   ;D   ::)

Busnuts may be tightwads when it comes to $$$, but we seem to share our time freely to help each other out.

When times get tough, busnuts aren't left standing alone. (We may be broke, but we still have friends we can count on.)  8)

This is the best hobby I've ever had!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

luvrbus

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2008, 06:50:40 AM »
Len, the thing that bothers me is my renewal for the magazine is due in Nov and I have the online and hard copy I know Mike said he was going to keep  publishing till a buyer was found but I don't think I will take chance on a 3 year subscription again

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal