Author Topic: Motor is very tired... (so am I)  (Read 9515 times)

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
Motor is very tired... (so am I)
« on: August 12, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »
Well, as promised, I'm writing to tell you guys about the motor................not good.

My mechanic, Dale, just called and told me what he found. Seems the compression is about 250 on the back cylinders (closest to bumper). He didn't check the ones toward the bulkhead as he said that was enough to tell him what he needed to know. I guess they are supposed to be about twice that.

The injectors were fine. (joy)

He said he priced a pistons and liners kit and it's about 4k. Then with labor and the possibility of the normal other things that are wrong, he said I should prep myself for about 10k if I want to redo it. He doesn't think it should be that much, but just wanted to fore warn me. (better to be prepared for the worst.)

The reason I was considering having it rebuilt was for a better resale. I know... that can also bite me in the @$#, but I just want to do right by whoever might want her. And having a fresh rebuild and the benefit of as good a gas mileage as you can get, might be a selling point................. or not. I'm still considering maybe a good takeout might be a better deal, but not sure what to do. I know there were a few threads posted about such motors - military, NIMCO, etc.

The last option - and probably the most realistic - is to strip her, sell the good stuff and drive her to the bone yard. It just makes me hang my head to even think about that.  :'(  That is SO, SO, SO, NOT like me......... but it seems like that is what a few people have talked about since the market is so soft. It's just a damn shame.

He said I could pick her back up this weekend. I don't really have to do anything right away - I guess - but I need to start thinkin. What do you guys think? I know opinions will vary, but I appreciate every one of them.

I gotta be honest, I had anticipated a major on the motor at some point - probably sooner than later - but after last weekend, I'm just not up to it. The wind is completely out of my sails. If I could hermetically seal her, and store her for a loooong time till I was back up to it, I would probably keep her and see what i could do in the future. But then, sitting doesn't do her any good either.

Anyway........ I'm feeling as tired as she is and I'm startin to ramble. Time to go horizontal.

If ya got time, let me know what ya think.

Thanx for thr ears,
      Chaz

p.s. I also understand that "could" be the reason for the heat issue.
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: Motor is very tired... (so am I)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:34:48 PM »
Hi Chaz,

Sorry to hear this..  The engine is not dead yet. You can still use her in cooler weather for a while.

Don't make any quick decisions. Wait for some replys here and I'm sure our folks will give you some alternatives.

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 07:42:05 PM »
Chaz, do you still have your first pair of shoes?

IF you have to sell, try to look at it as a steping stone to your ultimate 'bus' as you have out grown this one  ;D
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 07:53:30 PM »
8V71s can be repaired yourself cheaply. Inspect the rings, there must be some broken ones. 8V71 pistons and rods will drop out the bottom of the engine if you roll it just right. Drop the suspect pistons and hone the cylinder from below. Shove a new piston and rings in it and maybe some bearings.

Spending alot of money on that engine is a shame. The technology is obsolete.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 07:58:51 PM »
I agree with Nick.  Don't make any hasty decisions on it.

A little theme music for while you read:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26h3Jd2LKlE

Park it for a few months.  Seal off the air intake and exhaust with plastic and anything else that is recommended for long term storage.  Block it up.  Put something over the tires to protect them.  See what you can find out about a good take out motor, it will be cheaper than rebuilding that one.  Find out the price now for your own edification on what the actual cost would be, but don't buy it right now.  Leave the bus alone for a few months.  To the extent you can, forget about it.

Then in a few months, go out and look it over again.  See what you feel when you get close with it again.  Do that each day for a week.  Then make up your mind.  If you want to keep it, buy and put in the good motor.  Fix any other issues you find and after that you should be set for more reliable bussing enjoyment.

Good luck and hope to see you in here.  You are certainly among friends here.
Mike

Blacksheep

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 07:59:27 PM »
Chaz, it could be a lot worse! It still runs which means a lot less  $$$ even at 10K! Have you priced a new car or truck lately? I'd much rather spend 10K and know what I have than to not spend it and know what I have and can't use!
Since you were planning a re-build anyway, why not now and since you sound like a nice family guy, keep this in mind, do it now, enjoy it, and most of all share those good times in it with your family! You'll be glad you did rather than sad you didn't!
Ace

Offline quantum500

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 08:07:35 PM »
I'm assuming that your buddy Dale doesn't know any better but piston and liner kits can be had for under 2k.  Here are some running take outs for $1500.  http://www.commercialsalesinc.com/inv2.htm#Engines  Don't jump into this blind, or at least taking some other persons uneducated guess as the truth.  Most of the cost is going to be labor.  Parts are cheap.....!  Tell me this is not a give away price especially compared to your buddy Dale's quote.
 http://www.dieselpro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1382&HS=1
If you copy and paste the link full in frame kit is $1267.13 including all the gaskets.  I wasn't being sarcastic about Dale in my first sentence.  Most of these old but very good mechanics just don't know how to shop on the internet and from my experience are very grateful for the resource you can provide them.  I have even got parts for below cost just for providing them with a source for cheap parts.  Chaz I'm telling you once your done with this rebuild you're gonna fall in love with her all over again.  Mark my words!

Fixed links. Richard

luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 08:14:25 PM »
Chaz, I would take the bus some other place that guy is blowing smoke at 250# of compression the engine would look like a fogger going down the road never have I heard of compression check on just 2 cylinders and you can buy inframe kits for the engine for under 2gs everywhere I have seen them at 1500 bucks DD may be a little higher if they had one, or it could just need a valve job I would go somewhere else mechanics are like doctors get 2 opinions(no offence Don)

cody

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 08:21:42 PM »
Chaz, I'm reading this all to mean you have a plateful and somehow got served seconds on a full stomache.  I understand what you are going thru, at least I think I do.  Sometimes things pile up on us and it seems like the best thing is to thro in the towel and try to move on, if thats the case I've been there lately myself.  I got dealt a major heart attack while I was waiting for a chance to get a brain tumor removed, now I'm sitting on that as well as the need for a double bypass and valve that can't be done for a few months or until I'm stronger, I'm told my heart attack is a direct result of my parkinsons.  To make the mud a little thicker, my only source of enjoyment has what appears to be a sick turbo and it's all beyond my financial or physical ability, kind of piles up fast doesn't it, I'm told that every dark cloud has a lot of rain in it but here on the board are friends that not only are good mechanics but also great sounding boards, any time you want to vent or just praise the great unknown forces that seem to look for weak times just pop into the chat room and we'll pick on whoever isn't there, it always makes me feel better.  Just don't do anything rashly, things sometimes have a way of turning around quickly, give it some time to sort itself out and remember your among friends here.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 08:32:39 PM »
If I was buying a bus... I'd rather buy one with a known tired motor and get my own motor work done, than buy a bus with an unknown motor done fresh by someone who is planning to sell.

The discount for a poor motor isn't as much as the price of a properly done new motor, and I'd not pay you for it anyway.

Get a proper evaluation of the motor, make your decision, and if selling, sell it honestly the way it is.

Lots of buses out there, now and moving forward, don't need to put the handicap of old pain into it when you get going on being a busnut again.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline quantum500

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 08:53:51 PM »
If I was buying a bus... I'd rather buy one with a known tired motor and get my own motor work done, than buy a bus with an unknown motor done fresh by someone who is planning to sell.

The discount for a poor motor isn't as much as the price of a properly done new motor, and I'd not pay you for it anyway.

Get a proper evaluation of the motor, make your decision, and if selling, sell it honestly the way it is.

Lots of buses out there, now and moving forward, don't need to put the handicap of old pain into it when you get going on being a busnut again.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Thats a great point.  Honesty is always the best seller.

Offline TomC

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 09:17:14 PM »
There is a real good reason the V engine was tilted towards the rear-so you can work on it while still in the bus.  I would bring the bus home, pull the heads and check for cracked heads.  Then pull the pistons and JUST replace the piston rings and bearings.  Since the injectors are alright, if you get the cylinder heads sound, new rings and bearings, that would be enough to get you through a few more years (I'm of the opinion you should not sell it-these are GIANT projects that have ups and downs.  I can tell you that when it is done-it is absolutely the BEST!) until you can overhaul the engine the complete way.  Go for it and KEEP THE BUS!  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »
4G's for pistons and liners?  Ah come on now! I don't know how well you know Dale, but I'm gonna tell ya he ain't even given ya a reach around! Sorry I don't mean to be sarcastic or insulting, but I have mechanics tell me all the time that the parts can be bought for $150-200 a hole for relining one. Then ya add labor which shouldn't be more than a couple grand at most! Whew Chaz, if I were you I'd call around! I can point ya at 3-4 old timers who'd do ya better than that! (problem is they are all down here in TN!) What you need to do is find ya an old hand in yer neck of the woods who has been around old sawmills, coal trucks, or river boats. Those guys will know the how to's and where to's of rebuilding yer mill right & cheap! JMHO!  :-\  BK :-\
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
With winter almost here a good number of us park our buses and wait for spring, and if you do the same that is time the bus would have sat anyways. The RV season is over and that will add to the already low prices that conversions are bringing. Winter will allow you to look around and find a good take out if you go that direction. It looks like there are plenty of sources out there.  A few months of down time might be helpful in making the best decision. If I had to mothball mine I would still keep it. After all, for what it would bring, I couldn’t build a shed as cheep.  In the meantime, loan/rent it out to some buddies that could use it for a hunting lodge. When you’re down it really sucks and many of us have been there, and will visit it again unfortunately, possibly many multiple times. I can be my own worst enemy in times like that. We would hate to see you leave and with out a bus you could easily fade away. Look how much you have contributed, one more post and you will hit a thousand. That’s a big accomplishment.

To my brother in buses,

Laryn
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline Brassman

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 10:13:53 PM »
When i did 71's it was a $100 dollars a hole but that was in the early eighties. What you got was a liner loaded with a piston & rings on a conrod w/ brgs. If the crankshaft journals were good you'd do the holes and exchane the heads. 71's used to be cheap and easy & would work like a dog, but run 'em on low load--trouble.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal