Author Topic: What else do you love besides your bus.  (Read 12225 times)

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
What else do you love besides your bus.
« on: August 13, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
Mods, please move to OT if you don't think this is appropriate.

I know that many of you have some very interesting jobs or hobbies and I think it would make a great thread, maybe even a "sticky", to learn more about them.

I'm sure there are lots of old cars, race cars, motorcycles, boats, planes, art, sculpture, etc. that are a part of your passion in addition to the bus.  I for one would love to see some of them.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
Re: What else do you love besides your bus.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 02:30:29 PM »
    Currently or over the years?  Currently the bus, bluegrass music and still a little clogging. Over the years, racing MX, riding in rodeos, working as a cowboy on Florida ranches (for fun, not profit), flying (owned 2 planes), water skiing (tournament & show), boating, scuba diving (owned a scuba shop). 
    My grandparents raised me and my grandfather always told me "if you want to do something-DO IT, nothing worse than being old and saying "Man I wish I had done that"". So far, I don't think that will happen.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 02:31:54 PM »
I enjoy Mopar muscle cars of the period and have two, a '68 Dodge Charger and a '70 GTX. Maybesomeday I'll build a strip car.
Also mess around with home automation.
I also enjoy a film hobby although not much lately, no time. We have a full 35mm movie projector set up outside and a large screen and we have people over through the warm months and play our own version of a drive in.
Anyone wanna watch Batman Begins?

Used to be into planes but mine got run over by an errant DC 3 and got squished and I also lost a few good friends to crashes so I stopped flying.
I like Scuba but no time or money to go where I can dive although I did go to the Bahamas this year.

-Dave

Edit:

Forgot, we also enjoy training our German Shepherd in Schutzhund but have little time for that lately. Anyone else into that?
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:32:49 PM »
Don't even have to pause to think.  This is my passion:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bobfromthenorth/MoviesFromMara

We've got the ultimate ski tractor to pull me with - a Malibu Response LX.  Even owners of competitive boats will tell you that the SV23 Diamond hull has some of the softest wakes around.  I'm not very good but I take my skiing very seriously.  Ski wakes should be as flat as possible but there is always some kind of a bump in the middle.  The SV23 Diamond hulls manage to make that bump small and soft.  Some competitors appear to have a smaller bump but when you hit it you know you hit something.  The SV23 Diamond bump is just like butter and - on those rare occasions where I actually have my ski on edge - it slices through the bump like it wasn't even there.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Bob Gil

• Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 02:36:55 PM »
Real old MACK Trucks.  The BIG ONES

I own 3 a 1944, 1964 & 1965

My wife even thou she is a PIA almost as much as I am to her some times.
Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator

Offline rwc

• No longer will be Now AM
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 03:04:01 PM »
Geocaching  Uses GPS to find hidden caches placed by other people. Lots of fun and sometimes a real challenge. Course with gas prices have slow down alot.

luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »
retirement best thing I ever did just wish I had done it sooner and I love my grandkids they are fun

cody

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 03:26:45 PM »
Easy thread to respond too, I like sawdust, small piles, medium piles and even large piles of it.  I like taking an otherwise ussuspecting board, ripping it into smaller pieces and putting it back together in as many different shapes as possible.  Biggest problem I have with it is, I get bored with it quickly, once I create a pile of sawdust in the shape I want I feel compelled to walk away from it, leaving it to fend for itself and find a new home. Life can be so cruel at times.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 05:03:12 PM »
Hi Guy's,

Len, Good topic...

I have belonged to SCCA [Sports Car club of America] since 84' and I enjoy sanctioned events like club racing, formula cars and road rallies.

Recently, a wonderful road track has opened in my area, New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville, N.J. with two tracks called Thunderbolt & Lightning.

Since it's grand opening in early July, I have attended four events and am now in my glory and more active in my South Jersey chapter of SCCA. It's

time to blow off the dust on my Corvette and start racing again.. along with bringing my son and getting him into carting and racing schools.

Bringing the bus there is awesome too..

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 05:59:46 PM »
Don't even have to pause to think.  This is my passion:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bobfromthenorth/MoviesFromMara

We've got the ultimate ski tractor to pull me with - a Malibu Response LX.  Even owners of competitive boats will tell you that the SV23 Diamond hull has some of the softest wakes around.  I'm not very good but I take my skiing very seriously.  Ski wakes should be as flat as possible but there is always some kind of a bump in the middle.  The SV23 Diamond hulls manage to make that bump small and soft.  Some competitors appear to have a smaller bump but when you hit it you know you hit something.  The SV23 Diamond bump is just like butter and - on those rare occasions where I actually have my ski on edge - it slices through the bump like it wasn't even there.

Do you know Banana George?   http://bananageorge.com/

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 06:04:44 PM »
My wife, because she let me buy a bus.  Remember, if momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.

David

Offline Charles in SC

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 06:34:13 PM »
I cook competition bbq on the pro level ( although sometimes you would not know from my scores). I do about a dozen contests a year.
I am building a Van's RV 7 homebuilt airplane,  and play old time banjo
S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000

Offline happydays

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 08:08:08 PM »
  oh semi retired playing with ford tractor and all the attachments,cutting fire wood ,working in yard,snowmobile winter time.

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 08:18:59 PM »
I cook competition bbq on the pro level ( although sometimes you would not know from my scores). I do about a dozen contests a year.

Is it me or is this just really cool? To be able to make REALLY good bbq sounds pretty neat to me!

I'd love to hear tips and secrets.
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline Charles in SC

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 09:05:03 PM »
Paladin, beware it can become an obsession!
S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal