Author Topic: BIG HORSIE POWER  (Read 12191 times)

Offline REK

Re: BIG HORSIE POWER
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 07:31:59 AM »
Quote:  .   .   .   only set back I can for see are the insurance claims for melting the front end of the cars that love to tale gate your bumper at highway speeds   .   .   .

Van:

Back in the middle / late 70's my Dad converted a '54 Flxible 'Chest Cruiser' with a little GMC V6 (401) with some minor carburetor ~ issues ~.  Dad settled on a pair of glass packs after burning out a pair of very expansive Walker mufflers.  Did I mention that the exhaust system amounted to a 12 to 18 inch drop, a 90 degree elbow and the muffler.  Every time he backed off the throttle, it belched fire behind us 5 or 6 feet.  When traveling, he found that people only tailgated him once   ;)  For those of you who know Bob Stirling, ask him about about the Chest X-Ray Cruiser, Conjob.

Rick

Now I return to my lurking   :P

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 07:35:12 AM »
Was the name of the yacht the "Detroit Eagle" or "Detroit Princess"?  or something like that?  If memory serves (which is always wrong!) didn't that boat have four (4) 16V149TI's?  Pumped WAY up!  Anyway, 50kts at light load and could cross the Atlantic at 20 kts.  Wow!!!  Wish I was that rich.  He he he.  :) :) :)
Yep, that was her name. My memory, or what is left of it, says V-24's but maybe not.

Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 08:16:48 AM »
Looks like it has been upgraded.

http://www.yachtingmagazine.com/article.jsp?ID=21014925

Built entirely of aluminum, Detroit Eagle is powered by two of DDC/MTU's largest marine diesels, the 16-cylinder 4000 series, which put out 3,650 hp each.

The diesels push the yacht to an easy, all-day cruise speed of 23 knots at 1850 rpm, but occasionally Penske wants a little more. That's when the centerline surprise, a Lycoming TF-50 gas turbine, kicks in to contribute an additional 5,600 hp. For the combined diesel and gas turbine package, fuel burn at full power is nearly 750 gph. Long-range cruising at 14 knots consumes a much more reasonable 65 gph.

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 08:48:22 AM »
Looks like it has been upgraded.

http://www.yachtingmagazine.com/article.jsp?ID=21014925

Built entirely of aluminum, Detroit Eagle is powered by two of DDC/MTU's largest marine diesels, the 16-cylinder 4000 series, which put out 3,650 hp each.

The diesels push the yacht to an easy, all-day cruise speed of 23 knots at 1850 rpm, but occasionally Penske wants a little more. That's when the centerline surprise, a Lycoming TF-50 gas turbine, kicks in to contribute an additional 5,600 hp. For the combined diesel and gas turbine package, fuel burn at full power is nearly 750 gph. Long-range cruising at 14 knots consumes a much more reasonable 65 gph.

WOW!!!!  Is all I have to say. 

luvrbus

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 09:33:21 AM »
Just think guys all of that power for a mere 40+ million

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 01:24:22 PM »
Regarding that boat...Wow!!, more wow and more more WOW!  It would be sooss neat to be soooss $rich$.  Notice that the yacht employeeees 471 Detroits for the APU's?  It think it is neat that the owner held out for that cool "retro" sound when the gen sets are running....if one could hear them a all.   :) :) :)

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 01:32:25 PM »
Just think guys all of that power for a mere 40+ million

That's the lady. I suspect that the writeup is on a second yacht he had built by FedShip, who is the premier yacht builder in the world. I guess you could compare them to Rolls Royce in the automotive industry.
I left the industry about the same time this yacht was launched and I doubt if I ever saw her but I suspect that my equipment was on board this one also. Good to reminisce about the good times.

Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 01:38:26 PM »
Regarding that boat...Wow!!, more wow and more more WOW!  It would be sooss neat to be soooss $rich$.  Notice that the yacht employeeees 471 Detroits for the APU's?  It think it is neat that the owner held out for that cool "retro" sound when the gen sets are running....if one could hear them a all.   :) :) :)

I can assure you that you would never hear the 471's unless you were in the engine room and I really do not know for sure about that. You have to really see one of these beauties to really appreciate it. Some of my most memorable experiences are from the times I attended the Monaco boat shows and got to tour all the super yachts anchored there.

Richard

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 01:42:02 PM »
I could retire on the fuel bill  :o

At 12,650 gallons  -   over $60,000 just to fill it up!

4.6 gallon per knot at the efficient speed of 14 knots . . . . .

35 knots at full power & a fuel burn of 750 gallons per hour! ! ! ! 20+ gal per knot!

So that is what it's like to be really rich!  8)

I'm guessing he didn't make many friends at greenpeace or the sierra club when he bought that one  :o
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 03:59:03 PM »
One thing that you may not be aware of is that most yachts are not sailed across on their own bottoms when they go to the med in the spring and back to the Caribbean in the fall.

There is a company that has a special boat that they can add water to the bilges and sink it several feet. The yachts to be transported are then floated in and then secured with cribbing and lines and then the mother boat pumps the water out of the bilges and rises and all the yachts on board are high and dry. One way passage for a 100 ft yacht is approximately $100,000.

I can brag that I got to pat Ivana (Trump) on her bottom one time. LOL

Offline TomC

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 06:20:09 PM »
As stated previously- I think the Detroit Series 60 (2645lbs)or DD15 (3,000lbs), the Caterpillar C15 or 3406 (2950lbs), 3408 (3250lbs), the Cummins ISX (3,000lbs), N14 (2875lbs), etc are physically to big and heavy for the usage we are giving them.  The current engines I'd use is the Cummins ISM (2,220lbs), Mercedes-Benz 4000  Series (2200lbs), or the Caterpillar C12 (2300lbs).  These three will fit in the height of a Detroit 2 stroker, will give alot better fuel mileage and will pull like bull.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

van

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 11:30:49 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal