Author Topic: BIG HORSIE POWER  (Read 12148 times)

van

BIG HORSIE POWER
« on: August 15, 2008, 02:34:16 PM »
  Just curious,if given the oportunity to a free BIG hp motor upgrade(YEH I Know)what motor would of choice would you pick to have installed?,DD15,Cat,Cummins,Etc?

Perspireing mind wants to know

Van 8)

cody

Re: BIG HORSIE POWER
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
Perspiring minds want to know is a variation that really doesn't fit a busnut, my preferance has always been "expiring minds want to know" but thats ok cause we all do things our own way lol.

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 02:45:37 PM »
If you have a cash cow to milk to feed the big horses they are all about the same but I would not count on getting a DD15 only 6818 have been manufactured so far as Aug 12th

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 03:15:31 PM »
Hee hee hee, I love a good plan.  If $money$ was no concern, a "Pittsburg Fuel Injection Special" based upon a "pancake" (horizional) Cummins Big Cam 2 would be ideal.  I would settle for the "street version-- daily driver" model producing "only" about 750 hp and 2200 pounds of torque.

Would need a heavy duty tandem drive rear end, an appropriate overdrive 10-speed Roadranger, suitable U-joints and driveline, a big enough clutch and a three stage Jake.  Let's see... 3.08 drivers, a 34% overdrive 10th gear and 12Rx24.5 tires should equal about 130 mph at 2400 rpm.

Don't know how exactly it would be properly cooled.  Suspect it would take a large dedicated second radiator along with a huge air to air intercooler.  Wonder what the fuel mileage would be cruising at a cool 100 mph?  Three to four mpg?  How about flat wide open at 125 mph?  My feeble mind boggles.  :) :) :)

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 03:30:17 PM »
ABC Bus here in MN has a number of Cummins ISM motors with Allison B500 transmissions attached to them.  All ready to go!

Check out my conversion:

http://home.earthlink.net/~diehls0792_1/BusSection10.html

Offline Michael_e

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 04:09:09 PM »
I guess i don't get out too often. I've heard the words Cummings & Cat before, but what is DD15??

Thanks,

Mike
1955 GM Scenicrusier, 8V92TA & Allison 754. Totally rewiring all 12v systems and lots of questions.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 04:38:31 PM »
I guess i don't get out too often. I've heard the words Cummings & Cat before, but what is DD15??

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,
And not trying to make ya feel bad, but you must be correct about not getting out much! First off even if the # is a new one. What is the name of the most commonly talked about bus engine. Which engine is most commonly found in buses, unless special ordered or swapped by a busnut? Which engine just screams & screams & screams and the more ya make it scream the more it likes it?

Detroit Diesel! Now I know that the #15 could throw ya temporaily, but how ya miss the DD?

It's ok though, we all gotta learn sometime.
And several things gramma used to tell me.
#1) The day ya stop learn'n somethin new everyday is the day they should put ya in a hole!
#2) Just 'cause a mans got all kinds of books and college degrees don't mean he's got any smarts, just $!
#3) Nobody's perfectly worthless, they can always be a good "bad example"!
Now many times when I was in my 20's I heard #3 over an over. funny thing is, she wasn't talk'n too me. But rather my younger cousins, while look'n at me! Hmmm wonder was she try'n to tell them something that I never caught onto?

OK now one of my personal sayings I don't even remember where I first heard it, is "The only dumb or stupid question is the one that's not asked!

;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 05:23:34 PM »
yeah, what BK said.

In shorter form: the DD15 is the replacement for the Series 60.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 06:30:06 PM »
Just keep the one you have
and add a gallon of this- http://www.unbelievablerc.com/detail.php?pid=3  ::)
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 07:12:20 PM »

;D ;D ;D

That HAS to be somebody's left over April Fools Day prank!

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 08:53:53 PM »
The stuff is truly amazing, but it only works on body parts ;), unlike what the ad says about your nitro powerplant ::)

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 07:32:12 AM »
Cool site.  Seems to me someone was asking about muffler bearings in an earlier post.  They've got them and only $12.95.  Keeps your exhaust moving freely and smoothly.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 08:25:03 AM »
Let's not miss their overnight weight reduction soak.   ;D

http://www.unbelievablerc.com/detail.php?pid=5

But the absolute best one of all (and it even makes sense in an abstract sort of way):

http://www.unbelievablerc.com/detail.php?pid=1

Use it instead of foam or rigid foam insulation and watch your mpg get MUCH better.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Michael_e

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 09:40:54 AM »
OK, ya guys got me on that one. Guess i needed to be a bit more specific. I DO know that DD is Detroit Diesel, but didn't know what the 15 meant. 15 Liters? 15 K more dollar? And ya can keep ribbing me when i goof up as long as i end up with the info i need, what's it gonna mean in a hundred years? 

Here's a really weird question; Has anyone ever taken a bus to Bonneville and run for a world land speed record??

Thanks,

MIke
1955 GM Scenicrusier, 8V92TA & Allison 754. Totally rewiring all 12v systems and lots of questions.

Dallas

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 09:43:16 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal