Author Topic: Holy Cow. $3.959 per gallon  (Read 23935 times)

Offline D0ggSh0

• Marvin J. Gerald
Re: Holy Cow. $3.959 per gallon
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2008, 02:45:34 PM »
Actually, whether is costs more to produce diesel or gas, or whether the refinery is getting rich, the gas stations are getting rich, or OPEC (where they build luxery condos out of sand and money) is getting rich is not relavant....

I beg to differ on a few fronts here; first, whats relevant criterion to one is not necessarily relevant to another. Second, when the public (tax payers) money (investment portfolios) is used to finance risky exploration on "public land", I don't "think" I or we have a God giving right to demand to know. On the contrary, I "know" I or we have a God giving right to demand an accurate and full accounting of how, when, where, and why the hell our money is going in one way and not returning so much as a "break-even" on it's principal.

I don't mean to sound incendiary, but I'll never-ever lose sight of my soul to invest in a megan like ExxonMobile. Lets face it,  big oil can never profit from sales volume anymore as long as the commodity is depleting; so they make it up by mark ups in the profit margins. In a nut shell, the scarcer oil becomes, the higher the price to pay for it.

I'm no longer expecting an answer to my original question in this topic as I sort of searched and asked around other places. One thing I can tell you is that I'm not alone in wondering why D was cheaper than G and now G is cheaper than D though the costs of refining them remain the same through out and through on.

Merry Christmas :-*
MjG

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2008, 05:34:22 PM »
My opinion is that the U.S. should drill. I have heard the there is as much oil under North Dakota as there is in the middle east (remember that is just hear-say). If the states would actually do the smart thing and drill I think that much of the problem would be solved. Of course our government isn't helping anything (more regs usually don't help, just more control...I know lets not have Congress in session next year...no new rules...LOL...but then again, who voted them in???)

Oh well enough for now.
That's just my .000002 and JMHO.

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2008, 06:30:22 PM »
Shodogg - you evidently searched in the wrong places and found some bad info - FWIW
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2008, 07:44:12 PM »

Actually, whether is costs more to produce diesel or gas, or whether the refinery is getting rich, the gas stations are getting rich, or OPEC (where they build luxery condos out of sand and money) is getting rich is not relavant.  what matters is what we pay and where to get cheap stuff.  Everything else is out of my control and i suspect everyone else's on this board.

the bottom line is you want it, they have it, what will you pay?  and where is that cheapest price in case i'm gonna be there? 

$3.49 here in Ohio.
[/quote]

what i should have added is that the debate about how it's made, cheaper or more expensive, and who profits, is irrelevant on this discussion and on this board under this subject.  the debate on who is screwing whom is best discussed on yahoo or msn or someplace else other than a bus bullitin board where no one is an expert (that i've heard) on oil production, just buses.  i'm not trying to pick a fight cause i have no solution to why and i don't own enough of anyones stock to make a difference if i thought the company was gouging.  i just have to buy diesel. 
Just like milk, i don't know if the cow, the farmer, the dairy, the distributor or the supermarket is screwing me, i just know they are all eating on my nickel (or dollar) cause i want milk with my cookies.  my 2 cents and imho
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline D0ggSh0

• Marvin J. Gerald
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2008, 06:07:05 AM »
FYI guys, my family is heavily invested in the truck stop business, and I do have up front explanations as to why D is no longer cheaper than G even though D is cheaper than G to refine. Come on fellows we're in the info age here, and this info is no secret. As long as you are needy and desperate, the seller is in power to screw you over; and that my friends is one of the main reasons (in my opinion) why this free market will collapse if not equalized. So actually my original question is relevant here as far as diesel (for the bus and trucks) and gasoline (for gens and tows). I just wanted to know if anyone else here shared the same concerns as I did. ::)
MjG

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2008, 09:15:56 AM »
There is only one reason diesel is more expensive than gas.  Commercial operators HAVE to have fuel and homes in winter HAVE to have heat.  We can be far more flexible in our use of gasoline.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline D0ggSh0

• Marvin J. Gerald
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2008, 03:59:19 PM »
There is only one reason diesel is more expensive than gas.  Commercial operators HAVE to have fuel and homes in winter HAVE to have heat.  We can be far more flexible in our use of gasoline.

BINGO !

That is by fare the most accurate consensus I've compiled. The rest is just nonesense. Folks are trying their best to explain away the true reasons behind this obvious discrepancy. The most easy and famous of them all is "price gouging". I tell you if we sell our fuel any cheaper, we'll just as well only be passing it along to the consumer without a penny in profit. Consumers need to understand this, that owners will only be letting customers use their tax status to purchase whole sale fuel (if sold as low as paid for). The least that can be done is to charge for the paper and or computer work, and elecricity exspensed in ordering, storing and dispensing of a commodity. I'm sorry good folks I don't mean to be ranting on this very good site. Thanks for a lending ear and patience.
MjG

luvrbus

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2008, 04:09:10 PM »
There is not that much difference in diesel and gasoline prices in Phoenix average about $.12 a gal check Flying J prices in Arizona and take $.08 a gal off diesel for RV use.FWIW ULSD is far more complex to refine than heating oil some refineries in the US don't refine it only heating oil and off road fuel  good luck

Offline belfert

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2008, 11:50:13 AM »
The crude oil we are processing right now cost us around $100 a barrel (you have to order it and pay for it in advance). That means we paid $2.38 for a gallon of it.
It costs us about 19 cents per gallon to process it and turn it into a good clean fuel. That is very efficient BTW.

Why does the wholesale price and therefore the retail price of diesel rise and fall based on today's future price if the refinery is consistently refining oil bought at prices that are as much as several months old?

Your explaination that the refinery is currently refining $100 a barrel oil means that when oil hit $145 the refinery was probably refining $120 or less per barrel oil and thus making a huge profit at the time.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2008, 01:18:53 PM »
and now for the important stuff that we can all utilize versus agonizing over refinery versus well price vs oil futures:

i paid $2.29 for regular.  at the same BP station, diesel was $3.01.  too bad i have full tanks of 4.01 biodiesel.  first time i have filled up the van with gas in a while that i didn't have to swipe the card thru twice.  ;D

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline belfert

« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2008, 01:39:38 PM »
I paid $2.99 for diesel today and gasoline was $2.09.  I still think diesel is overpriced, but that isn't a big deal.  I am VERY upset that diesel prices are 90 cents a gallon more than gasoline!  I've actually been considering trading in my diesel vehicle that gets 36 MPG for a gasser tah gets about the same MPS to save on fuel.  Of course, diesel prices will plummet the day I do that.

Yes, it is fall, but diesel prices have never been so much more than gasoline in the past.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline quantum500

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal