Author Topic: Big Blow (Fay) Coming  (Read 9231 times)

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
Big Blow (Fay) Coming
« on: August 16, 2008, 07:09:27 PM »
Well, guess it time to figure out how to get this big blue bus out of the backyard.  If you will remember, I drove it down the alley, turned it into my 50foot deep backyard.  Where I have been happily parked under a huge grandfather oak tree for the last two or three months.  I'm thinking this is not a great place to be, during a CAT 1 Hurricane.   >:(  So tomorrow, I will see if I can get it out, and back down the alley....

Plan Monday to move to the other side of the bay,,,a little more away for the coast.    If the storm comes my way, I may move father inland.

Hummmm, does a 40ft bus, backout in the same tracks it came in on   ???   Guess I will find out tomorrow.

Bill
Gulfport, St. Petersburg, Florida

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline NJT5047

Re: Big Blow (Fay) Coming
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 07:43:59 PM »
You're in luck Bill, it'll back out of tighter places than it'll drive into.  You shouldn't have any problems backing out.   Just keep the inside drivers tight...or close to whatever fixed property you gotta clear...you know..like my wife sez so often...'just do it this way...!'   Get your spousal component out there with you....she'll tell you how to do it.  ;) ;D :D
Looks like the storm is going for us after it kicks ya'lls butt.  I cannot believe that a cat 1 setn from Florida will do much damage at all up here in Charlotte...probably be wet.   
I hope it doesn't 'bloom' once over the Florida Straights.   That water's 90*...couldn't be better for building storms. 
Hope it misses you!   
Good luck, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Dreamscape

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 07:51:38 PM »
Hey Bill,

Like JR said. Keep the drivers close and you should have no problem.

How well do you take directions from your significant other.  ;D

Good luck and hope it don't blow too hard.

Paul

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »
Don't forget to look UP!

more eavestroughs torn off by busnuts....

how does this turning tighter in reverse work?  ;D

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

captain ron

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 08:31:49 PM »
I have to disagree with you guys on backing out. that front end will swing really wide in reverse.  The rear wheels are like a falcrome point and the front end swing really wide.

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 08:38:35 PM »
Hey Bill,

How well do you take directions from your significant other.  ;D

Good luck and hope it don't blow too hard.

Paul

God didn't intend us bus drivers sorts to take directions from our SOs!   
For 30 years Terri and I have been traveling in RVs of some sort.  Good time for the most part. The bad times usually involved backing into campsites.  We've gone from Terri flapping her wings because shes feels that I'm not paying proper attention to her input...to a fairly sophisticated private  electronic bitch session now.    She'll start screaming too...even though I couldn't hear her, when I look in the mirror and see her doing a chicken dance, shes probably making some noise.  That's a major bummer!  Like I'm going to hear her when she's 20' behind the bus.  She forgets that I can see what's going on in the backup  cam.   That just doesn't connect.   ???
Way back we tried the little FM talkies, and they worked fine.  But, I couldn't answer her fast enough...it had to be keyed to talk...PTT.   So I mostly listened.  'Listening' isn't sufficient feedback for Terri.  She wants verbal acknowledgement.  NOW. 
Now we're using bluetooth cell phones  so we got handsfree duplex comm.   That allows us to both get as nasty as we want, without disturbing the neighbors.   Cool huh?  ;)
Alas, I have hijacked another thread!  Sorry!   :P
Chicken dance or otherwise, I'd get someone to spot you that has the ability to stay within your view in the mirrors.  Save a lot of potential embarrassement. 
On rare occasions, Terri has kept me out of tree branches or some odd hazard. 
Feel free to park your bus up here!  About a nice days ride from Tampa.   
Cheers, JR

BTW, BW, you're right with what your thinking...the bus actually tracks in exactly the same tracks either way...just easier to 'follow' the drivers out than to guess at where they'll end up when going forward in really tight areas. 
Exception...I can back into a campsite that would be totally impossible to drive into and get squared up. 
One thing's for sure...if it drove in, it'll back out.   
Ron, the 'swinging' front end is what makes backing out easy.   Isn't that related to the 'Fork Lift Steering Rule'?   They steer better from the rear.   ??? ;D

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Dreamscape

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 08:40:09 PM »
I agree with the front swinging wide in reverse, it also swings wide going forward in a tight corner It's all about the angle of attack. You just have to try and keep the same tracks going out as you did going in.

Maybe if your tags are off the ground it might be easier,dunno.

It's hard in a tight spot no matter what you do.  ;D

Paul

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 05:25:57 AM »
How do I release the air out of the tags ???   MCI-9

Didn't think about that,,, thanks

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 05:27:14 AM »
Paul

tags off the ground???  my Eagle doesn't do that.  Does yours?

Bill, Jack, Ray, Florida Cliff, and JR - you're all welcome to park here while the storm plays out.  We're just a couple days drive north, 20 miles from Lake Erie.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline Green-Hornet

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 07:01:55 AM »
A heatly old growth oak sould stay put. If that tree has been there for more than 4 years than it has already past the test ;) Wilma,Jeane and Francis! It would probably protect it better from flying debris than keeping out in the open. I would like to have it real close in case I had to "get outta Dodge" in a hurry.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 07:11:57 AM »
How do I release the air out of the tags ???   MCI-9
Bill

Bill,
   There may be a switch on the panel to the left of the driver's seat.  If not, there are 2 manual air valves inside the side engine compartment door on the passenger side of the bus.  Open the door, stick your head in there and look toward the front of the bus.  You should see a couple valves that look like the valve that controls the air tensioner on the blower belt. 1/4 turn on each valve dumps the air from the tags.  This can help with tighter turning radius.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 07:23:09 AM »
Quote from: Kwajdiver
How do I release the air out of the tags ???   MCI-9

Didn't think about that,,, thanks

Bill

Like Jack said! There should be a switch about next to your left elbow when hands are on the wheel. Most times they had a red cover over them and make a lot of beeping when turned on! This will let the air pressure off and let the tags slide easier. But becareful as it also has a teeter-toter effect and takes weight off the steers too! Allowing those to swing wider from lack of pressure to make 'e bite! FWIW ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 07:38:10 AM »
Bill, Jack, Ray, Florida Cliff, and JR - you're all welcome to park here while the storm plays out.  We're just a couple days drive north, 20 miles from Lake Erie.

Gee Tom,
   We were going to invite you & Fran to join us for the thrill of seeing a TS/Hurricane first hand.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Dreamscape

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 09:58:08 AM »
Paul

tags off the ground???  my Eagle doesn't do that.  Does yours?

No, mine is not capable of that either. I was referring to an MCI, thinking that might help Bill out.

Paul

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 10:15:30 AM »
Hey Tom

You wrote --> "....Bill, Jack, Ray, Florida Cliff, and JR - you're all welcome to park here while the storm plays out..."

What about me and  Janice here in The Daytona Beach area- No RTS's allowed ??  :-(

Pete
If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal