Author Topic: XANTREX 1500 WATT INVERTER/CHARGER Question  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Bob Gil

• Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net
XANTREX 1500 WATT INVERTER/CHARGER Question
« on: August 18, 2008, 07:21:43 AM »
I don't know any thing about inverter/chargers but I know that I need a good battery charger and to have 12 power when pluged in would not be a bad thing either.  I don't know if this would be a bargin or too costly to repair.

I am looking at a  XANTREX 1500 WATT INVERTER/CHARGER, model # 81-1522-12 (single 120V input, dual 120V output, with circuit breakers 20/15 amp).  It has a problem when in inverter mode (off grid) any outlet on the output side showed an hot/netural reverse.  But when on grid, all circuits were normal in the pass thru circuit.  But they are unsure if it was charging the batteries or not. 

Is it repairable and what would it be worth like it is?

I know these are not cheap nor are they really expensive, I am just wondering if I should worry with it or not or what it should be worth?
Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator

Offline belfert

Re: XANTREX 1500 WATT INVERTER/CHARGER Question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:01:13 AM »
Have you opened up the inverter where the 110 volt connections are to see if something is reversed?  I highly doubt something blew in the inverter to cause this.  I bet it was like this since first installed and nobody noticed it.

Someone (myself, my dad, or my electrician friend) wired the output side of my inverter backwards.  The hot and neutral were reversed.  I didn't find this until I turned off the breaker for a circuit and still got shocked.  It was fairly simply to change the wires although I had to remove the inverter from the compartment wall to fix it.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Blacksheep

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:13:50 AM »
I recently heard from a reliable source that Xantrax company has closed it's doors for good!
Anyone else hear this?
Ace

luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 11:16:18 AM »
No Ace they sold to a French Co.(Schneider Electric) for 500 million  and speaking with one of the techs he doesn't think it will be much change in the operations

Offline Bob Gil

• Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 12:02:30 PM »
Does any body know if these are repairable?

What would it be worth? 

I was told there was a set repair fee for getting them worked on, any ideas any body had one worked on that might know more about that?
Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator

luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 12:07:48 PM »
Bob go to the Xantrex web site they have a listing of repair centers in your area or you can call them direct with a question or download the trouble shooting manual      good luck 
send it back to Xantrex and they wiil rebuild it for less than 1/2 the cost of a new one
1-858-458-0223

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 12:22:19 PM »
Bob I bought a new DR3624, within the warrenty period it needed service.  there was no authorized serve shop locally so I had to send it to NJ.
 They called me and told me it looked like a rodent had gottten inside and done damage and that the warrenty was void that the repair bill would be $175. I had no reason to not belive them and had it repaired .  I took the cover off when it came back and could see where they had worked on it.
 It cost me $175 plus shipping both ways to have it repaired,  over $200. This involved no parts just repair.
 If you cannot find someone local to inspect it, you may have to ship it somewhere just to get an estimate. If you decide to go this way befor shipping it call a service center and make sure parts are still available for it.
 With my experience I would pass on a broken one and put the valu at $0. Not trying to tell you what to do, just my opinion.  There are refurbished units to be found on the web, that may cost you less headaches and money.  HTH  Jim
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal