Author Topic: Framing in the roof hatches on a 102A3 for AC units,tips and pics please  (Read 4662 times)

Offline bigtim44

• Red buses go faster!
    • big red bus conversion
I'm going to put 2 roof top AC units on our bus,and fit them where the escape hatches are.I first need to weld up a frame for the 14 inch hole for the AC,then skin over the remainder of the hatch.
I'm sure there are photo's of this being done,Any tips and pics appreciated.

Tim
Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/

Offline Danny

• 87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...
    • Personal Web Page
I am getting ready to do the same thing with the same bus.  I panned over the windows with .080 aluminum.  It seemed think enough to handle the weight with supports.  I am going to use Sikaflex for fasten the metal to the top.  I am using this same product for the windows and it works great.  If you place a cross brace for the other end of the AC the existing brace can take care of the other side.  That is what I am planning on doing.

Good luck,
Danny (Tennessee)
I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
 I moved my rear hatch forward, and covered the old hole. Not quite the same as what you're doing , but close.  There are photos located in the conglomeration of photos on this link:  http://www.gumpydog.com/bus/Uplink/uplink.htm  About midway down the page.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline 86neoplan

• My Little Bus
This subject is very interesting to me, as I will be doing the same thing. I was wondering how I was going to do this as well...

shawn
Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...

Offline TomC

Tim- Since the roof hatch is already reinforced, just use the proper thickness of wood to frame it down with angle iron supporting the ends screwed into place.  I realize that welding is always the best way, but remember, the bus doesn't ride like a truck, nor are you going to put hundreds of thousands of mile on the bus.  I have three roof A/C's.  I cut the holes right up against the roof bows and then just framed it in with 1x2 fir strips-like I used in the entire bus screwed to the support beams.  With the foam in place, the A/C's don't bounce at all (and I've been over some bumps and watched the A/C's [when the road was clear]).  Doing it with wood is the easy way and it works, welding in a new frame is the best. You decide.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
Like Tom said, I framed mine with wood.  Make sure it is slightly higher that the rest of the roof to avoid any puddling.  I removed all the hatch framing, and I framed the hole first then glued and riveted a sheet of aluminum over it and cut out the hole when ready to install the AC.  This is on an eagle, so your's may be slightly different.  The concept is the same, however.  I believe my installation required a 14"x14" hole.

If you notice the green primer paint at the end of the lumber, I welded in 1.5"x1.5" angle to screw the lumber to the frame.

David

Offline bigtim44

• Red buses go faster!
    • big red bus conversion
All good info ...thanks

Tim
Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/

Offline 86neoplan

• My Little Bus
yes, thanks for the info. I only have 2 to install, so I think I will go the wood route, since I dont own a welder.

shawn
Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal