Author Topic: eBay MCI conversion  (Read 9371 times)

Offline twobear

eBay MCI conversion
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »
Been lurking the site, but just registered. Lots of great info!  Contemplating used bus conversion purchase in the next year or so.  Looking for thoughts from you experts on this MCI conversion on eBay as a possible first bus.   Thanks! 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230146308815&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

Offline JohnEd

Re: eBay MCI conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:10:33 PM »
2B,

That is the nicest 5 I have ever seen.  It has a lot going for it in a lot of ways.  If it were a lot cheaper i would jump at making an offer if 35 feet is enuf.  Today you can get a Prevost for just a little more so look at financing.  If you have 45 to play with you are in a much better league.  Nice 5 though.

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Hobie

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 06:33:40 AM »
Check the sellers feedback.  Appears the bus had some title problems in 2005.

Offline quantum500

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 07:15:54 AM »
Nice bus waaaay over priced.  That one should be in the $20k to $25k.  I'm sure the guy that owns it would be completely insulted by that price too, but thats the market.

Offline compedgemarine

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 07:18:44 AM »
If I am not mistaken that bus was a 'Bus Conversions Magazine' centerfold a year or two ago. If I can find that copy or someone has it it would tell you alot about it.
steve

Offline quantum500

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 07:26:53 AM »
Here is a nice one that is a little old but well priced. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/822843486.html

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:46:42 AM »
Twobear, The seller used to post here I think. He has had it for sale for a year or so as he started working on a 9. This may have a 6v71 ( I did not read the ad) if so not over powered.  Tom Y
Tom Yaegle

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:03:48 AM »
He really lost me with his way over the top ad.  To me it was too effusive, like a car salesman wearing a plaid jacket, fake grin, lousy toupe and acting like he is my best friend. 
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

Offline Fredward

• 2000 Country Coach Magna (not a bus)
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 10:07:17 AM »
I agree on the way the ad is written. Also, the 671 coupled to the Allison would be underpowered by today's standards I think. My MC-5 has an 8V71 with Spicer 4 speed and it goes along well on the flat but is a little pokey in the hills or when towing the car. FWIW
Fred
Fred Thomson

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 10:14:11 AM »
Welcome Twobears.  Only $45K for a Saudi 5C, Wow what a deal!!!!    I know some of you guys will cliaim I'm biased because I have a Saudi 5C, but I'm not ;D
 Take your time looking. If I ever get around to buying a house mine will be on the market also. The guy did a great job on the ad, I need to figure out how to copy it for when I put mine on the market.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline coachconverter

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 12:38:17 PM »
A pretty decent looking MC5C shell didn't sell, yesterday on ebay with a starting bid of $3200.00  I would have bought it if it were closer, it's in Missouri.

The seller of this conversion, huhhum, has some interesting choices in color, style and ramblings, but to each his own.  I think it's overpriced, but I wouldn't build it for that little of money - if that makes sense???

The 5 series buses are my favorite in the older coaches, but without a turbo, they are dogs. I've had 3 5C buses, one with a 6V92 and it was the only one that was fun to drive.  I have a 5a with 8V71/545 (I think) in it and it ran like a scalded dog!

Todd

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 01:08:14 PM »
Twobear,
If you like it, make him an offer!  I bought my first bus about 6 months ago.  The most valuable advice I ever heard, from a seller, actually, was "You ought to look at a LOT of buses before you buy one".  So far, it seems to have served me well.   Other than that, the most valuable thing I did was to have followed this board religiously, for a long time!
Thanks, everybody!
Dennis 
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

Offline twobear

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 08:09:23 PM »
Thanks to all for your time and advice.  You confirmed things I'd thought of (like can I get past the over-the-top ad) and learned things I didn't know.  Didn't realize the engine/drive train setup might be a little weak.  Also great pickup on his eBay feedback glitch which I missed.   I'll continue my research and dig deep into the forum archives.  Might still check his bus out in person, but I'm half-way across the country.  Ted

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 08:24:43 PM »
This is not new.  It has been on Ebay for possibly a couple of years listed at $59,000.  I spoke to him a long, long time back.  He said he was converting a larger bus at that time.  I don't think that advertising is an issue, he seemed like a nice enough guy.  The price was way to high before. 
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 08:34:45 PM »
yep it's been for sale for better than 3 years.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal