Author Topic: speedo question, metric to english  (Read 4595 times)

Offline 86neoplan

• My Little Bus
speedo question, metric to english
« on: June 17, 2006, 11:48:47 AM »
As most of you know, I recently bought a 91 new flyer, which was built for GO Transit in Ontario.

It has a metric speedometer. I have a extra speedometer from the neoplan. it is english.

would that read accurately?

shawn
Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...

Offline coachcrazy

Re: speedo question, metric to english
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 12:04:30 PM »
if the tires and wheels have the same overall dimensions it should  provided its compatable with the engine

Offline Clarke Echols

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 01:13:55 PM »

Digital speedometers use computer pulses from the sender at the transmission output to
drive the rate counter in the speedometer unit itself which in turn controls the speedometer
needle or display.  Neoplan no doubt buys that unit from someone else, and it is probably a
"universal" controller that can be fitted to a metric Km/h or English/US readout in MPH.

The speedometer probably has a DIP switch (DIP means dual-inline package) that must be
set to match the pulses per tire/driveshaft/whatever they use coming from the sender.
The new speedometer is probably compatible with the sender as well, but you may have
to set the switches to get the correct speed readout.

I'd set the speedometer in place, get the bus out on a straight stretch of highway that
has mile markers, put it up to 60 mph (or 45 or 30) and time it.  60 mph = 1 mile/minute;
45 = 1 mile/1.5 minutes, 30 = 1 mile/2 minutes, etc.  Then check the odometer against
mile posts on an interstate highway over a distance of 5 or 10 miles to verify accuracy.

It's not rocket science, but it's worth the trouble to know your speedometer and odometer
are accurate.

Clarke

Offline Hartley

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 03:01:08 PM »
Rocket Science = Use a GPS to check speed and distance.

No counting mile markers and looking for them when the nut case on his cell phone cuts you off and you aren't paying attention...

It's tough enough if you ARE paying attention....

Have Fun...

ISSPRO makes a programmable Speedo/Odometer that I have installed in Flyers.
The one I worked on had a pulse-tone ring on the drivers front brake drum with
a magnetic pickup. Lot's O Pulses per mile.. Something like 10,000 or so.
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline Stan

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 07:04:36 AM »
My experiience with North American made speedometers is that the only difference is the numbers on the dial. The pointer is in the same place at a given speed and whether you call it MPH, KPH of feet per minute makes no difference.

My car sold in Canada has the KPH in large numbers and MPH in small numbers. The same model car sold in the US has MPH in large numbers and KPH in small numbers.

Offline coachcrazy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 07:10:19 AM »
eh just buy a full set of these guages http://www.autometer.com/demos/nexus/

i think they are briliant, other then the speedo and tach having more numbers then you'll ever need on a bus the features are just plain neat

hers the link the the info page on em http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugeop.aspx?sid=42

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 08:19:51 AM »
I sell Salvaged Monaco Dash Gauge sets and I've always used the following to check/calibrate/set tachs and speedo

a simple little 12volt dc power cube that plugs into the wall outlet
almost 100% of them are full wave rectified with no filter - which equals 120 cycles per second - pulse wave

120 cps = 7200 pulse / minute

setting the speedo switches to 10,000 pulses/mile or 10,000 pulses / minute at 60 miles per hour

still with me

then the speedo should read ---> 7200/1000 x 60 miles/hour or 43.2 miles per hour

you can apply the same logic for most speedo (pulse/mile) ranges

"you can take the instructor out of the classroom - but - you can't take the classroom out of the instructor"
--- 30 years - IBM Systems Engineer/Instructor---

Pete RTS/Daytona
If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal