Author Topic: pro's and con's regarding external radiator side air dams for extra cooling  (Read 13821 times)

luvrbus

Re: pro's and con's regarding external radiator side air dams for extra cooling
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 05:01:47 PM »
Rick, I have side cameras on my Eagle but still have the mirrors mine have to be switched manually ,they have a system now that automatically changes when using the turn signals next on my list of got to have

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 05:19:46 PM »
You want to kick whoever suggested to you that the mirrors obstruct enough wind to harm your fuel economy by a mile to the gallon. NOT true.

Folks, there is little that we, or the original owners of these coaches, who had a far bigger fuel bill than we'll ever see, can do to improve the fuel economy, short of just running the engine in the sweet spot, which means slower than the Warp speed that North Americans seem addicted to.

No effort or money spent by a busnut will ever be recouped in enough fuel savings to pay for the job.

Don't run the engine except to push the bus. stop idling. 8 cents of fuel a minute goes out the pipe on the idle, more on the fast idle. Accelerate with a gentle foot, don't floor it. Run at or below the speed limit, depending on your gearing. Nobody will mind, if you drive over in the right lane where a slower moving vehicle belongs. What treasures are you dragging around in the coach that should be staying at home?

Pushing wind, speed is your biggest variable, putting the coach on a diet will help a little.

As for the radiator scoops affecting fuel economy, the rad already sucks in vast quantities of air, which is as good as a wall, the scoops just make it easier for the fans to pull in a little bit more. You won't be able to measure the difference they may make in drag using your fuel bill.

So, here's another bunch of stuff you've read....

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 06:37:15 PM »
Like Lin said, you need them most while climbing and that is when the speed is slow, so there will be little ram air effect.  Check out these old posts.  Maybe they will help.

David

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=1464.0

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4808.0

Offline belfert

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 08:27:10 PM »
Holding my throttle wide open and anything over 180 degrees.

If you are scared of anything over 180 degrees you would hate my Series 60.  It runs at 195 degrees all day long.  The mechanical temp gauge in the rear reads slightly higher.  Even crossing the Rockies on I80 I only went above 195 on one grade outside Salt Lake City.

Busted Knuckle says every factory installed Series 60 he has driven runs 195 to 200 all day long.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 08:49:09 PM »
doesn't hurt a 2 stroke to run 195 all day either, I am not one for the band aid fixes i see guys running with the tail gate open spraying water with mister systems and home made air scoops if the engine is running hot there is a problem fix it and forget it

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 08:55:16 PM »
Holding my throttle wide open and anything over 180 degrees.

If you are scared of anything over 180 degrees you would hate my Series 60.  It runs at 195 degrees all day long.  The mechanical temp gauge in the rear reads slightly higher.  Even crossing the Rockies on I80 I only went above 195 on one grade outside Salt Lake City.

Busted Knuckle says every factory installed Series 60 he has driven runs 195 to 200 all day long.

Brian while it is true that I did in fact tell you this. It was before we replaced the air to air charge cooler, and thoroughly cleaned the radiator out on my '95 Setra 45' 60 Series and B500! It now cruises all day long @160-165-170 while on cruise control.(yes I do use it as it saves fuel @ 74 instead of 80+/- mph). And for those time when I put my foot in it and "let 'r roll" at +/- warp speed it still never gets over 180-185!
So while all the others I have previously operated have run 195-200 all day long (including my 45' Setra running 200-210 all day long before the cleaning of the radiator and replacing the air to air cooler!), I have since found out that when RIGHT they do run cooler and better! FWIW ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline belfert

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 09:00:38 PM »
I've had the intercooler cleaned and holes fixed and replaced the radiator, water pump, and thermostats and it still runs at 195 degrees.

I'm not worried about it since it no longer rises above 195 degrees.  It used to start rising on the slightest grade.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 10:07:26 AM »
BK,
     Are the scoops you have like the ones on Fred Hobe's site?  I though his were actually built onto the screen.  If they would work with my 5a, I'll take them if they are not spoken for.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 03:10:21 PM »
BK,
     Are the scoops you have like the ones on Fred Hobe's site?  I though his were actually built onto the screen.  If they would work with my 5a, I'll take them if they are not spoken for.

Lin,
I believe you meant BW, as I don't have any! No problem, just thought I'd correct it so BW would get the credit.  ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 04:06:26 PM »
Boy, is my face red!  I've got to learn which way to point that rattle can.

BW, are you out there?

Offline buswarrior

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 04:24:16 PM »
I have a pair of the smaller fibreglass ones that you rivet or bolt up to the back of the screens hiding somewhere in the shop, not the bigger ones that Fred has shown on his site.

As for the slower speed of hill climbing, you still get a breeze at 30 mph that can be taken advantage of...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 04:57:23 PM »
If I am going to do it, it might as well be as large as reasonable.  Besides, I like the idea of having them built onto the screens.  Thanks,

Offline Tony LEE

• Photo Albums
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 12:45:37 PM »
Don't know about there, but here in Oz, only side-lights and rear-view mirrors are exempted from the width measurement. Anything else sticking out has to be within the 2500mm (98 1/2") maximum width. Adding a couple of Fred's scoops would put it over the limit.

luvrbus

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 12:53:45 PM »
Tony, here it is 102 inches and mirrors are exempt   
good luck

Offline buswarrior

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 01:28:21 PM »
Fred's 3" scoops on a 96" wide coach keep it within the allowable North American 102" width.

The newer 102 wide coaches have larger radiators to begin with, so the playing field starts off on higher ground if you are in need of re-power cooling.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal