Author Topic: Towing a Honda Element?  (Read 4697 times)

Offline Merlin

• Run away before the kids come back home.
Towing a Honda Element?
« on: April 07, 2006, 05:20:44 PM »
Is anyone towing a Honda Element?  How about a 2006 model?  Reason I ask is Honda Corp seems to have pulled it's favoravble nod for towing 4 wheels down.  Previous years, 2005 on back are OK with Honda Corp if you follow their little "do this and do that" recommendation.

Ironically, the 2006 Element is exactly the same mechanically as the 2005 etc.

What gives?  Wonder if Honda Corp has decided the compliance with their towing guidance is not being followed and has caused them some tranny replacement expenses.  Or ... now for the paranoia in me to show ... maybe since Honda is now selling the Odessy engine and tranny to Saturn for the Vue, they want to allow Saturn to handle the market for "towables".

Anyway, I have decided to chance it and buy a 2006 Element anyway and use the old Honda towing guidelines.  I will have to live with the fact that my warranty will be void, but our past experience with Honda cars gives me confidence that probably this new Element will be the same even if towed four down.

Update:
After test driving many so-called towables, including the new Grand Vitara Luxuy edition, we decided to look for a 2005 Honda Element.  It still carries the OK from Honda Corp for being a "towable".  Like I mentioned above, the 2006 Element is EXACTLY the same drive train, but Honda Corp has now decided to not list it as towable.  The dealer where we located two 2005 Elements said he was shocked that Honda has cut off a really growing market segment (the motorcoach owners).  Our Element is essentially a new one with full warranty, etc. Only had 50 miles on the odomenter.  We got a huge discount on price ... we are happy ... dealer is happy.  Now to get it rigged with tow brackets and some sort of lighting hook-ups.
Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
Re: Towing a Honda Element?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 08:14:32 PM »
http://www.towingworld.com/DinghyGuide06.pdf

Not as good as it used to be

NewbeeMC9
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

JerryH

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 05:36:23 PM »
Hi Merlin:

I have a Honda Element '05 model.  I also want to tow it.  What did you end up doing ... flat tow, what kind of equipment, etc.?  How is it going?

I love the Element, hope you're enjoying yours as well.

Jerry H.

Offline CFine

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 09:23:38 PM »
We have an '04 Element 4wd auto trans and it tows perfect. My cousin is the sales MGR. at the local dealer and we talked about the NO TOW deal for the '06's. He says they went to a 5 spd. auto trans in '06 and that's the difference. I'd look for a low mile '05 and away you go!!  We have about 30k miles on ours and it is still the smartest car on the planet!!  Ugly as heck, but so practical. CF

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal