Author Topic: Cost of a clutch installation  (Read 12398 times)

Offline platinum mci

• Platinum RV Center
Cost of a clutch installation
« on: September 21, 2008, 04:44:15 PM »
HI new to the group I have a 1975 o5 eagle 4 speed transmission and it needs a new clutch the one in it now is none adjustable does anybody know the average cost of a clutch replacement?

luvrbus

Re: Cost of a clutch installation
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 05:01:06 PM »
P Eagle why is the clutch not adjustable is it wore out Eagles have a 2 disk type clutch that is adjustable from the clutch cover on the bottom  good luck

Offline lostagain

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 05:10:23 PM »
We had to have a clutch replaced last year on a MCI 102D3: $8000.00 and change. About 40 hours labor. I confirmed that with a couple of other shops who said yea, it takes this long. They take the rear axle out, then the transmission, to get at the clutch. The bad clutch had been installed backwards by so called professional mechanics...! The good thing is, we are good for a long time now. I tell my drivers to use 1st gear to start unless the bus is rolling already. It is a hockey team bus with several volunteer drivers.

Of course an Eagle is probably different, but this will give you an idea untill an Eagle guy pipes up.

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 05:17:47 PM »
On a Eagle you remove the engine and transmission as one unit it is about a 20hr job or less if you have the dolly   good luck

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 05:27:39 PM »
We had to have a clutch replaced last year on a MCI 102D3: $8000.00 and change. About 40 hours labor. I confirmed that with a couple of other shops who said yea, it takes this long. They take the rear axle out, then the transmission, to get at the clutch. The bad clutch had been installed backwards by so called professional mechanics...! The good thing is, we are good for a long time now. I tell my drivers to use 1st gear to start unless the bus is rolling already. It is a hockey team bus with several volunteer drivers.

Of course an Eagle is probably different, but this will give you an idea untill an Eagle guy pipes up.

JC

They do WHAT?! I ain't never! We usually just pull the drive shaft suspend the trans and swing it out of the way, put a clutch in and reinstall the trans! ON AN MCI that is! As I've never replaced one in an eagle myself personally! But I know dad & Robert have, as Robert used to think EAGLE was THE only bus to own & had 9 of them at one time! (back before I quit trucking and started punishing my self with buses! LOL!)
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 05:36:28 PM »
BK,
     So you do not actually remove the tranny?  How many hours does it take to do your way?  Would that work on a 5a also?  I do not have a clutch problem yet, but from some of the things I heard, it seemed that putting in an automatic would cost about the same (plus the part, of course).  Your method sounds like it is less than a catastrophic repair.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 05:36:46 PM »
BK, if you could swing the transmission in a 05 Eagle that would be a fast change but with the drop box the engine has to come out on a 01 they swing the transmission.I gave the guy a high estimate I watched the mechanics at Trailways in Dallas do it 5 or 6 hrs but the were equipped to do it

luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 05:39:32 PM »
Lin, your in the same boat as a 05 Eagle you have a drop box

Offline platinum mci

• Platinum RV Center
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 05:51:18 PM »
more info the transmission will shift into the gears but when you let out on the clutch the bus does not move checked the brakes and it will roll, so the brakes are not locked up

luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 06:31:28 PM »
P Eagle if you have the eagle book adjust to the instructions may work if no lining are in the bottom as silly as it sound that is a pull type clutch with a adjustment ring to adjust with but you need the manual.One thing I would check is to see if the drive shaft is turning if it is turning that is a different story

Offline platinum mci

• Platinum RV Center
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 06:35:52 PM »
i was able to get it to go in reverse at one time but cannot get it to go forward or back in reverse

Dreamscape

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 07:20:06 PM »
Have you checked all linkages and your clutch pedal?

Do the simple things first. Can you access your tunnel? Can you crawl under and access your clutch pedal assembly?

I have an 01 and your situation scares me!

Please let us know what you find out.

Paul

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 07:54:03 PM »
Clifford,
I agree with you that shops equipped right and with very experienced technicians can do it in a single shift (8 hrs). But those shops are getting fewer and farther between. I also agree with your 20 hr estimate! As that is the ball park I would probably quote, and I would say is probably average most places.

What I can't believe is that they told him the rear end had to come out!
That's the first time I ever heard of that! And dumber than Woody & Robert dropping an Allison 740 on the ground out of a MC9 while I was away on a trip. And then calling me and telling me "hey  we got the transmission out of the bus. By the way any ideas how to get it out from under it?"
Oh let me tell you it really pissed them off when I laffed for about 5 mins straight before asking "you mean to tell me you didn't pull the eng/trans together?"
Needless to say it sat right there blocking the whole shop until I got home and VERY carefully repositioned the bus where the rear would just barely clear a roof truss. And then VERY carefully jack and blocked it, and jacked and blocked , and jacked and blocked until the roof of the bus just almost touched the next truss forward. Then we had maybe 1 1/2" s of clearance and used a chain and the tow truck to winch the trans out from under the bus. Then put the new one on a "SLIP & SLIDE" (kids yard water toy) and used the wheel lift and about a 6' long 8" X 12" timber to shove it back under! Then the timber cut an angle sliced of it and it became a "ramp" (or in this case a wedge) which was shoved under the trans with the wheel lift while the trans was chained of the the back of the tow truck. Once it was up enough we blocked the trans up and shoved the wedge on out from under it. then we were able to get under it with a large floor jack with a custom made plate to chain the trans onto it. Then we just jacked it up aligned it and reinstalled it!
I can assure you an engine nor transmission has NEVER been pulled by itself in my shop since then! LOL!

And Lin as Clifford pointed out that with the drop box the MC5 is in the same predicament as an Eagle!

P Eagle what part of the country are you in? Maybe one of us knows of a reputable shop or mechanic to recommend to you! FWIW
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 10:17:08 AM »
Good job, lostagain.

Those 7 speed transmissions are a pain, first is a little too deep, second is just a little too tall to start with a load, (if you are paying for the clutch... ;))

Best they don't get it in their heads to start in 2nd.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline HB of CJ

How Many Hours For A Clutch R/R?
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 09:01:57 PM »
At first I wasn't going to post this.  Decided to go ahead.  It took the owner and I about 6 hours (12 hrs total) to replace the clutch on his '69 Crown Super Coach.  We had no idea what we were doing.

One (1) hr was spent jacking and lifting up the coach.  Very low ground clearance.  After safely lifted using RR ties, we dropped the driveshaft and unhooked and removed the tranny.  Fuller T905M.  Lots of blocks. Cummins 743.

Very heavy.  Then did the R/R thing on the clutch.  Some sort of weird pull-type Spicer.  He provided it. Fuller tranny. Go figure.  Two people.  Old Crown.  Used sandpaper on the flywheel.  Took multiple trys to hang the Fuller.  AUGHHH!

Speedo cable.  Driveline. (1710's)  Tranny shift rod and stuff.  Clutch linkage.  Adjustments.  Three (3) driving attempts.  Adjustments.  Final success.  Again, about one full day or 12 hours for us complete fools. Six hours running time.

What am I missing here?  Of course we had to rig a make-shift tranny gadget to hold/move the tranny.  Extra time. The driveshaft weighted over 100#.  Augh again.  How much shop time were you charged?  :) :) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal