Author Topic: Advice on getting an appraisal done on our buses  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Christyhicks

• 1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL
Advice on getting an appraisal done on our buses
« on: September 26, 2008, 04:45:43 AM »
Well, I received our motorhome policy renewal the other day, and was suspicous of the wording "actual cash value", so did some investigation and much to my surprise, what was supposed to be "agreed upon value" had transformed into "actual cash value" after the first year of coverage.  After receiving a revised quote, the premium increase was substantial enough to send us over to Progressive.

Progressive requires an appraisal on both TempBus, which is a factory conversion, and the current value of "BigBus", which is under conversion.  They tell me that an internet appraisal is fine, so now I need suggestions on who I might contact to get this done.  I appreciate any advice or contacts.  Christy Hicks
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
Re: Advice on getting an appraisal done on our buses
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 05:04:39 AM »
We used these guys when we bought our bus.

http://www.automotiveappraisals.com/id9.html

we bought extra copies and used for loan and for insurance and was accepted by both.  Credit union really liked.

We used a disposable 35mm camera to take pictures and have a local newspaper of that day in at least some of the pictures, particularly the odometer (like it matters on a bus)

they were nice and pleasant to work with

Good luck
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 05:16:40 AM »
Christy,
   We used ADP.  I was given this companies name by AOn, who is the insurance company we have our coach insured through.  We are on the road and all my appraisal paperwork is home in my file cabinet. You can probably get the contact information for ADP through AOn.  We were very pleased with their appraisal process and valuation of our coach.  We had to fill out a lengthy form and return it to them with numerous photos.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 05:28:51 AM »
We used these guys when we bought our bus.

http://www.automotiveappraisals.com/id9.html

we bought extra copies and used for loan and for insurance and was accepted by both.  Credit union really liked.

We used a disposable 35mm camera to take pictures and have a local newspaper of that day in at least some of the pictures, particularly the odometer (like it matters on a bus)

they were nice and pleasant to work with

Good luck

This is who I used and they are top notch!
Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 05:46:09 AM »
Well Christy as usual Newbee, Jack , and Nick are on top of it faster than I could find my info.

And I see Nick & Newbee used and were well pleased with the same outfit. That right there says a lot for them.

Now I haven't used them but I do know that Michaud Bus Sales www.busesonline.com does appraisals too.

Now again I must ad the disclaimer about not owning a conversion bus, so I can't tell you from personal experience who's good or not!

But I will tell ya I just had really cool idea for a rally feature! You could contact an appraiser and see if they would be interested in coming by the NJT Round Up and do appraisals for folks that attend! I'd be willing to bet if the price was economical that just about everyone in attendance would have it done, just to have for future reference and to have a documented value of their bus.
Just a thought, might wanna check into it.

;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 06:13:46 AM »
Good catch Christy!!! and thanks for posting and pointing it out. The dirty corporate scumbags will do anything to cheat people.  Jim
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 06:34:07 AM »
Yea Christie the "agreed on value" policy is fading into the sunset I knew of 11 states where it was changed so now it will be 12 with OK it is going to be tuff to get a $100,000 worth of insurance on a 70 model converted bus now they are looking and comparing the price of late model bus conversions for sale and even with a appraisal  it doesn't mean much when crunch time comes they are going to send their own appraiser out     have a great day

Offline Christyhicks

• 1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 07:57:12 AM »
Well, Allstate didn't do away with agreed upon value, here's what happened:

When we bought the bus, told the agent I wanted "agreed upon value", so they put the purchase price down on the policy and everyone was happy. :)

policy renewed again this year, I specifically read the policy and noticed "actual cash value" listed under TempBus,  ???so I questioned the agent.  She did some research, saw where the purchase price was originally listed, :) did some more research, and found that it was listed as "actual cash value" and subject to depreciation or "whatever." 

Allstate re-quoted the policy with "actual cash value" and bumped the premium over $200 a year. >:(  Meanwhile, I had been researching Progressive's rates and had gotten a quote, so I switched over to them.  The difference is that Allstate had allowed us to suspend collision and liability on BigBus, since it is stored inside a building while being in the conversion process.  Progressive does not allow this, HOWEVER, Progressive's rate, with full coverage on both BigBus and TempBus, and liability only on the MCI-8 that is for sale, was still less that Allstate's rates, (with collision and liability suspended on BigBus.)  Progressive just seems to be more knowledgeable about these bus conversions and set up to deal with them.
Progressive does need a written appraisal for the full coverage on both buses, so we do need to get that for them, which is why I posted.  I will check out automotiveappraisals and anyone else that someone suggests, as we have not quite a month to get this together.  Thanks for any and all suggestions, Christy Hicks
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 08:14:57 AM »
Good to know that OK hasn't let the insurance co do it yet but if the insurance co and the commission get together it will probably happen down the line  a few bad apples in the basket and the good folk pay for it somewhere down the line  have a great day

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 09:25:43 AM »
Christy, You are lucky you found out about this with a renewal notice & not while you were in need with a claim. Based on personal experience, that sounds like what I'd expect from allstate. I suppose that's good for allstate, but it's a shame when you find how little coverage is there after all the fine print.   :(

Here's hoping none of us EVER has an occasion that requires us to file a claim!
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 11:32:20 AM »
Christy, Bryce mentioned Michaud Bus Sales.  I bought our 4107 from Spike.  The first bus company I worked for (almost 40 years ago) was one of Michaud's competitors, and they've always had a stellar reputation.  He went above and beyond to get work done on the 4107 before we flew to New Hampshire to pick it up.

Spike does, indeed, do appraisals.  Their website is busesonline.com; phone is 877-642-4283.

Arthur   
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 11:39:48 AM »
Christy, Kraft Tours in Tulsa did appraisals at one time also check with Jefferson in OKC he may know of one in the OKC area  good luck

Offline JimC

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 06:01:50 PM »
But I will tell ya I just had really cool idea for a rally feature! You could contact an appraiser and see if they would be interested in coming by the NJT Round Up and do appraisals for folks that attend! I'd be willing to bet if the price was economical that just about everyone in attendance would have it done, just to have for future reference and to have a documented value of their bus.
Just a thought, might wanna check into it.

JACK CONRAD,

BK, just might be on to something there, any thoughts on contacting someone for your rally?
We are planning on attending, and I would be interested, my appraisal is about 12 years old, and that was done before it was finished. (ok its not finished, just more finished)
Jim
4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 07:05:36 PM »
What would you pay for an appraisal?
Seems to me that it should take a couple of hours for the appraisal to be able to distinguish the difference between a rebuild & a cover-up. . . . .

Many decline $50 for a service that tells you the weight on each tire.

Most are very frugal with what little $$ they have left . . . . .
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 05:31:09 AM »
yup, Kyle is right.

Busnuts are frugal....

Best to take firm orders, cash up front, or the appraiser will be twiddling his thumbs....

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 08:09:56 AM »
Quote from: kyle4501
What would you pay for an appraisal?
Seems to me that it should take a couple of hours for the appraisal to be able to distinguish the difference between a rebuild & a cover-up. . . . .

Many decline $50 for a service that tells you the weight on each tire.

Most are very frugal with what little $$ they have left . . . . .

Quote from: buswarrior
yup, Kyle is right.

Busnuts are frugal....

Best to take firm orders, cash up front, or the appraiser will be twiddling his thumbs....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Yup you are both right! But I'll bet my first Social Security check that if you get say 6 solid commitments. And an appraiser did in fact show up and start doing the appraisals. That before he was done with the pre-scheduled ones many busnuts would be begging their significant others for permission to "go ahead and have it done while he was doing it. JUST FOR FUN and to get a documented current value of our coach." Now I know that all of us are a bunch of tightwads, but I also know that many will do it just because so & so is too! Shoot Kyle you could have all of yours towed down and  "kick start" the whole thing!  ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal