Author Topic: Looked at the first bus  (Read 7710 times)

Offline Peabody

• Bus wannabe,Gillig chassis,3208 cat
    • Opal Dragon Creations
Looked at the first bus
« on: September 28, 2008, 05:37:41 AM »
I wasn't  expecting perfection just something with good bones that If necessary I could slap a new paint job on and do some minor updating on the inside. Sorry to say that's not what I found,What I saw was a bus conversion in need of some serious TLC. I don't know  where this bus has been but it had serious bad corrosion inside and out  not a lot of rust that I could see but I didn't look that close.Couldn't get past that white crusty looking stuff all over the bathroom, kitchen,engine and storage compartments.It looked like that stuff that will build up on the battery posts if you don't keep them cleaned. There is way more things but I'll leave it at the corrosion.Needless to say I won't be buying the first bus I looked at.Oh well,back to checking all the classifieds for my new home. Peabody
Enjoy Life...This is not a rehearsal!
Want to make God laugh?        Make plans

Offline travelingfools

Re: Looked at the first bus
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 05:49:13 AM »
Every bus that we looked at before we purchased one was an education. The very first bus we looked at was a Prevost 10 min from home. We thought it was an awesome deal. Had the cash in hand but thought we'd take the advice of many and I grabbed a mechanic buddy to take a quick look just in case. After less than a min laying under it he stood up and gave me a look... We left and as we were driving away he told me all the "critical errors" that I never saw that would've cost more to fix than we would've paid for the rig!! When you find the right one you will know it.
John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT

Offline expressbus

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 05:52:39 AM »
Peabody,

Take your time. Don't be in a rush. If possible, take a fellow BusNut to look at the candidate with you. It took almost two years before finding the one that both of us liked. The travel to find a bus provided almost as much excitement as actually finding the bus. Our trek took us from NC, to SC, to FL to TN, to MI, to KS and lots of places in between. We saw every imaginable bus condition except one - burned out!

Get a PDI done on all the systems in the candidate.

Now that I stop to think about it, the quest to find a bus probably cost as much as the bus!

Will
Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach

Offline tekebird

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 06:01:45 AM »
what was it?
share a link

What kind of budget do you have.

budget and ammount of "walk and run away options is inversley proportional

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »
My search for a bus took me from Arizona to Wahington, I was looking for a 35 foot bus so my choices were fewer. The first bus I looked at was advertised as a professional conversion, someone had hacked the door opening and installed a house type door!!!!
 It seemed at the time that the worse the bus was, the more money they wanted. It was a fun adventure and I got to spend some time with friends I might never had seen again.
 When I found a bus I liked, I contacted a bus mechanic and he told me to buy it, he had worked on the bus for 10 years, there was nothing wrong with it, he did not charge me for his advice. He was right it has been a great bus.
                                Enjoy the journey  Jim
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
I searched for the "right" bus for us for a year.  The one I found was 2700 miles away.  I spent more money finding it and bringing it home than what I paid for it.  But it has been a good bus.

Blacksheep

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 09:14:25 AM »
I'll never forget the first bus we looked at. It was a local pos! Susan thought I was nuts! Then I cooled it for a couple years and finally convinced her about another local buy! That wasn't good enough and went to Louisiana to purchase our Eagle! that was after 2 trips to Nashville! Then to Virginia for our latest!
Ace

Offline Peabody

• Opal Dragon Creations
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 10:38:18 AM »
The listing has been taken off or  I'd give you the URL.But certainly not looking for  anything new way out of reach for my pocket book.This one happened to be a 64-65 MC-5a that the owner said was in perfect  shape a real must see,lol.He truly loves this bus and sees no flaws it's a must sell due to  health issues.I have done research on the prices of these buses and as far as the price  went it was in line for what I was looking for, however this bus isn't worth what he was asking.I am in contact with a bus expert and he thought it was worth looking at however he hadn't seen the bus yet and only knew what I was told,and like others before him said not to buy the first bus I look at(that won't be a problem,lol)says it's a buyers market. So I'll keep looking and eventually I will find my new home.I'll keep you guys posted on my search and if you hear or know of anything out my way,Washington,Oregon,Idaho maybe even California that has good bones but might need a little updating inside let me know.I don't have a huge budget $30000.but I know there is something out there for me. Peabody

PS.By good bones I mean running gear in good shape, no rust or leaks,inside cabinets match and are in good shape plumbing not corroded, Ac's, furnaces,stove,oven,refer in working order.Electrical wiring in good shape.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 11:35:46 AM »
Peabody.
 drop me a note off the board.

Offline roadrunnertex

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 12:05:29 PM »
Not a bad deal it is a PD4107 serial number 012 never a line haul car converted from a new shell by Custom Coach.
ebay info below.

1966 GMC PD4107 BUS CUSTOM COACH ENTERTAINER RV   Item number: 150299392156

No I have no interest in this coach it's just a good deal on a Buffalo 35 ft coach.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 12:18:44 PM »
yep for 28k thats a steal. Just promise me you will take off those roof horns

Offline Bob Gil

• Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
If you take the horns off I would like to have them I like them.

Bob
Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 02:39:58 PM »
I agree that $28K fits with the condition of it if all is as was reported.  But also, in this extreme buyers market, I don't think I would be afraid to hold off, let the auction expire and then approach them privately afterward for an inspection.  Then make a lower offer ($18K) and see what they come back with.  They may counter offer with something in between.  Or they may get offended, but even that isn't the end.  Don't be afraid to walk away.

Then go kill a few days being a tourist in the area, visit some area bus nut(s) and maybe even look for other buses in their area.  Then call them up just to see if they have given any further thought to your offer.  In this market, time is on your side more than theirs.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 03:01:05 PM »
honestly it is worth a good bit more than 28k if  it is as reported, you could not buy all the stuff in that coach for twice that and certainly not the build quality

I would not go as far as saying it is a buyers market....thats when the buyer can set the price.

Rather the market is soft....as the # of buyers has declined over the years.

keep in mind a good quality coach is going to be worth a good bit more than an average one. Sure you can buy an MC-9 shell for less than 5k that will get up the road....but a pristine low mile unit will still run into the mid 20's ( sheel or seated), or if you'd like to go newer....you can get a mid 80's MCI A3 for 10k, but a realy good one will run you 50k

It all depends on what your willing to deal with and live with.  Some folks buy a coach as is and never do a thing to it...some will spend alot of money making it perfect.....and some are willing to pay for the one that is already perfect.

My Opinion: if someone is asking 28k...offering 18 is not going to float.  A good portion of the really nice coaches are in hands of people with some financial where with all......and they are less likely to dump something.  good deals like that only come from estates, divorces and people who need quick cash for business or health issues.

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 03:12:29 PM »
That is a nice looking coach and it's a no reserve auction.  If it appeals to you then bid on it.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 04:55:08 PM »
honestly it is worth a good bit more than 28k if  it is as reported, you could not buy all the stuff in that coach for twice that and certainly not the build quality

I agree.  But, in this market, you can very rarely sell a used bus conversion for what you have in it.

keep in mind a good quality coach is going to be worth a good bit more than an average one. Sure you can buy an MC-9 shell for less than 5k that will get up the road....but a pristine low mile unit will still run into the mid 20's ( sheel or seated), or if you'd like to go newer....you can get a mid 80's MCI A3 for 10k, but a realy good one will run you 50k

Probably right on that.  But there would certainly have to be a "burden of proof" on the seller to prove things were as stated.  The documents showing that it was converted from a new shell.  Complete routine/preventative maintenance records.  The paperwork (with serial numbers) proving that the engine was rebuilt at the time stated.  Receipt for the tires with enough information on it to make a reasonable verification that they are the tires on it now.  I hate to be so skeptical, but a good detailer can often make poo look like a gold brick.

I would not go as far as saying it is a buyers market....thats when the buyer can set the price.

Rather the market is soft....as the # of buyers has declined over the years.

My Opinion: if someone is asking 28k...offering 18 is not going to float.  A good portion of the really nice coaches are in hands of people with some financial where with all......and they are less likely to dump something.  good deals like that only come from estates, divorces and people who need quick cash for business or health issues.

I imagine you are right when it is someone with wealth willing to sit on a depreciating vehicle.  But for the rest, it is a buyers market.

Offline Peabody

• Opal Dragon Creations
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 07:20:28 AM »
Thanks for the info on the eBay bus. I know of a 81 bluebird too,has a 3208 cat fc with 125,000 original miles.However the bus expert  I have says it wont have enough power to haul what I want to haul.We are now not only hauling the Harley we are taking the vette too. They weigh less than 5,000lbs but than add the trailer weight.I've said before don't care if I get there fast but I do want to get there,where ever there is,lol. Peabody

Offline tekebird

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 07:57:14 AM »
although BB are nice for what they are they are not buses.  Keep that in mind.

Redneck,

It is not hard to tell a professional conversion from a home one.  Most home conversion have one or two segments of the conversion that are sub par ( interior, electrical or plumbing)  Custom Coach conversion are quite easy to pick out.  and this one on ebay is certainly a Custom Coach unit.

True burden of proof is with the seller but some of these things are not hard to verify without reciepts.

Tires can be inspected and date codes read,  a quick look at that engine is good proof that it is a low mile engine etc etc.

Unlike cars you can't detail a crappy bus into a gem.  there are things that are just to cost prohibitive to do to try to pull the wool over someones eyes.

I agree it is hard to sell a conversion for what you have in it, especialy an home grown conversion......but keep in mind, this is likely a well maintained, professional conversion that cost better than 300k in it's build year dollars

I can assure you if you ever have the chance to see a Custom Coach Conversion they are quit e robust in their build quality, and simple to boot, unlike alot of the Flashy companies that tend to do Prevosts.

I would say Easily based on the photos and info provided and gathered it is easily worth more than the 28k asking.

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 08:53:53 AM »

I would say Easily based on the photos and info provided and gathered it is easily worth more than the 28k asking.

I would agree with that.  However, I haven't seen a bus conversion sell for what it was worth all year.

I'm not saying it's "noble" or "nice" to make low offers to someone selling a bus conversion.  But in this market, a smart buyer doesn't offer full price.  It's the nature of negotiation - seller sets a price, buyer counter offers, then they try to find a middle ground.

A successful skilled salesperson will do exactly what you are doing, a technique called "value building" - build up the positive attributes rather than immediately negotiating down.  If he does it well, he will end up with a sale at full price or with minimal reduction.  A skilled buyer will always try to get a lower price by focusing the discussion on the age, style, dated interior colors, and any flaws they do find.

When a successful salesperson meets a skilled buyer, it often results in a "no sale".  Fortunately for the successful salesperson, there are unskilled buyers.  Fortunately for the skilled buyer, there are bus conversions and bus shells for sale by owners or less than successful sales people (or successful sales people under pressure to make a quick sale).

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 10:04:40 AM »
although BB are nice for what they are they are not buses.  Keep that in mind.
Redneck,

It is not hard to tell a professional conversion from a home one.  Most home conversion have one or two segments of the conversion that are sub par ( interior, electrical or plumbing)  Custom Coach conversion are quite easy to pick out.  and this one on ebay is certainly a Custom Coach unit.

True burden of proof is with the seller but some of these things are not hard to verify without reciepts.

Tires can be inspected and date codes read,  a quick look at that engine is good proof that it is a low mile engine etc etc.

Unlike cars you can't detail a crappy bus into a gem.  there are things that are just to cost prohibitive to do to try to pull the wool over someones eyes.

I agree it is hard to sell a conversion for what you have in it, especialy an home grown conversion......but keep in mind, this is likely a well maintained, professional conversion that cost better than 300k in it's build year dollars

I can assure you if you ever have the chance to see a Custom Coach Conversion they are quit e robust in their build quality, and simple to boot, unlike alot of the Flashy companies that tend to do Prevosts.

Doug,
While you make very good points here you are clearly mistaken and Blue Bird is a bus. It is only a school bus, but a bus none the less! I realize you probably meant it is not a MOTORCOACH, which it is not! Unless referring to the LCT40 or LCT45, while not widely know about they are a coach.
I now return this to our normal program. ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline josephgranzier

• 4106 fan
    • http://www.comtradesinc.com/
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 05:27:37 PM »
Alot of good information ,what I got of reading these post is this;

When It comes time to sell a bus - I want Tekebird to sell it and when I go to buy a bus I want a High tech redneck to buy it for me.
 ;D

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 07:56:12 PM »
Alot of good information ,what I got of reading these post is this;

When It comes time to sell a bus - I want Tekebird to sell it and when I go to buy a bus I want a High tech redneck to buy it for me.
 ;D

I agree I'd like to have Doug sell a couple of mine for me!
But when it comes to buying I'll always take dad with me! While I have been so PO'd in the past that I sulked and pouted all the way home once from Phoenix, several times from FL, several times from NJ, once from NY, 3 times from OH, 3 or 4 times from IL, all the way from our place to CA and home (AND I WAS DRIVING THE BUS I WANTED TO KEEP & FLYING HOME!), and was laffing all the way home from Houston once!

I tell ya if dad makes his mind up that it's worth X amount (and usually he does some research before hand, but most time he uses my own judgement and advice AGAINST me!) then by golly if the seller won't come to dad's terms then by golly we are coming home empty handed!

I felt like we were going to come home from ID when we bought our 45' SETRA S217 & the S215 40"er that came with the "parts bus" I just had hauled home! As a matter of fact I'd told my brother in law "might as well pack up tight like we did for the trip out here 'cause were all 3 going to be riding home together!"
And as we were packing the mechanic from the place came out and told me "Bryce yer dad needs you to come in and help finalize the deal!" I could have fell over, as when I went outside dad was telling the guy "This is how much we'll pay, not a penny more, and I want those extra windshields and parts out of the storage container Wayne (their mechanic) told us about AND THE FULL TANKS OF FUEL YOU AGREED TOO WITH BRYCE LAST NIGHT! And if that don't suit ya then we've wasted enough time here!"

Shoot the only reason we bought those last 2 MCI's is dad got the sellers's to give in to easily and got them both for 1/2 or less than they had told us they would take!

Yup dad in my corner anytime were buying! Now on the other hand dad wants to be to "FAIR" when selling if ya ask me! ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Songman

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 04:11:58 PM »
I'm on bus three and have never converted one yet. Don't feel bad about taking your time till the right bus comes along.

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 04:47:20 PM »
If you are not in a rush to buy, wait until the BUS'N USA rally next summer at Rickreall  Ore.  You can look at a lot of buses and there are always some for sale.  We just left the Seattle area on Monday to head south for the winter and i know i saw that 57 Eagle for sale but can't remember where it was. ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Songman

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 04:58:36 PM »
We saw an Eagle on the side of Hwy 5 somewhere up in Oregon. It was a blue Model 5 already converted with a Cummins and lots of new parts. I called the owner and he said the bus was new inside and still had plastic down everywhere. He was asking $89,500 but you might be able to talk him down. Seems like he said he was in his 80s and was ready to settle down! haha

His phone number is 505-860-8055.

I found it listed online for anyone who might want to look.
https://www.rvt.com/rvdetail2186683.htm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal