Author Topic: Torque Multipliers How Big is good?  (Read 17109 times)

Offline scanzel

Torque Multipliers How Big is good?
« on: September 28, 2008, 07:01:28 PM »
I want to but a torque multiplier to help me remove my wheels for inspections etc. I see quite a few on ebay. How big do I need? Is 1200 ft lbs good or is 2200 ft lbs better. :o
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
Re: Torque Multipliers How Big is good?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 07:08:50 PM »
I just use a fence post on the breaker bar. And the kids even did it when they were smaller.

Don't let anyone put the wheels on with a gun, and you'll be fine after the first time.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline quantum500

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 07:10:30 PM »
If you have a decent air compressor and 1/2" hose a 1400ft/lb  1" inch drive impact is usually just right especially if your just using it at home.  Its actually cheaper than a torque multiplier!

Offline Bob Gil

• Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 07:14:43 PM »
I bought a 4 way lug wrench at the auction last night for $10.00 I figure that and a 8 ft section of pipe i should be able to get about any of them off.  That is if they don't get crazy with the big air impact.

I have gotten every one that i have tried to get off with one of these big 4 ways, a section of pipe and a jack stand.  you would be surprised what you can do with what you have on hand when you have too.

Bob
Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator

Offline roadrunnertex

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 07:19:50 PM »
I own a 10:1 torque multiplier made by Proto
1/2" drive input and a 1" drive output for up to 1000 pounds final torque.
I found it at a Hock Shop the owner thought it was a torque wrench and I was able to buy it at a very good price.
It will remove and reinstall the Budd nuts with no problem.
Handy to have when the tire service truck can't make the service call until later!
jlv

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 07:34:34 PM »
I bought a 2200 ft-lb Sweeney off eBay for ~$200. It doesn't take much effort to turn the nuts, but it is heavy!

I found another Sweeney that was aluminum & 1200 ft-lbs. Light weight & a breeze to use. I wouldn't want it any other way - no power needed & nothing heavy (except the tire  ;D ) to lift. & I got it off eBay for ~$160  ;D

You have to be patient to find those deals, but you should be able to get one sooner for less than $300.

eBay #'s

370083903928  - 1000 ft-lbs

370083903920  - 3000 ft-lbs
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Online HB of CJ

How Do Torque Multipliers Work?
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 12:40:45 PM »
I actually don't know for sures, soosss....How does a torque multiplier work?  Is it just a gear box or is it something else?  The World Wonders. (and so do I)  :) :) :)

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 01:07:09 PM »
Yep, it's a gear reducer that has a female square drive input & a male square drive output.

Online HB of CJ

Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 06:51:21 PM »
Thank you.  I kinda thought sosss but.....Sosss a 1000-1200 ft lb aluminimimumm light weight type will work dandy and be..well..light weight and work busting the Budd Nutts off your Alcoas (or Budds) in the dead of night when we always get our flat tires.  Cool.  :) :) :)

Offline quantum500

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 10:33:58 PM »
Why is everybody against or at least not talking about air impacts.  We all have a ready supply of air and as I mentioned earlier a HF air impact is actually cheaper than a torque multiplier.  You have to add hose but honestly how much easier does anyone want it?  The likelihood of a flat tire and a dead compressor is so small that everybody should be easily convinced to carry a big impact.  Cuts changing a tire by at least 75% compared to the old armstrong technique.  I just don't get it?

Dreamscape

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 03:11:56 AM »
Using impacts is an art which most tire shops don't have. Impacts will stretch bolt threads if used incorrectly. Installing a monster tire and wheel such as we all have can be removed with an impact, install with an impact just before it seats, then final torque applied by hand. You can easily overtorque with an impact and cause severe damage to the threads and the seat on the wheel, especailly on aluminum ones.

I have never done one on our coach, my experience is what I know about using an impact.

I'm sure others who have actually done the work may have additional information, ;)

Paul

Offline scanzel

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 03:52:10 AM »
If I happen to need to change a tire away from home I think it would be handy to have along. A large impact gun is no good on the road unless you have a big air supply. Why not have both? Plus you cannot ever have to many tools. My wife keeps asking me if there are any I don't have, and I say yes this one. ;D
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 05:23:00 AM »
Well, I wondered how long the replys would stay on topic & answer the question posed.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
I just assumed Scanzel already had one & wanted another tool.  ::)

I have both, but I prefer the multiplier, it doesn't seem to visit as much violence on the rim.

The GOOD impacts that will provide 1000+ ft lbs are not cheap. The china freight ones are usually air hogs, sometimes you can get lucky but you can't plan on it.
Then you need to consider the air hose & punk tank & the space they take.  :(

My multiplier is much smaller than an impact gun.

I use my De-Walt 18V cordless drill to run the nuts off & back on to speed things up. I'm not leaving home without my De-Walt.  ;D

Online HB of CJ

Torgue Multipliers VS Air Wrenches
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 03:00:33 PM »
Very good questions raised.  I would prefer a manual breaking bar/torque multiplier over an air wrench because...1) If I'm jacking up the Bus Conversion....I don't want the engine running.  Too many things can go wrong.  2) Not enough air volume at high enough pressure to do any good, thus requiring running the engine jacked up.

3) KISS with regards to carrying spares, tools, parts and stuff.  4) A lack of storage space to store all the extra stuff anyway--no room.  (Crown Super Coach)  4) Low probability of ever needing the breaking bar/multiplier to begin with.  All subjective and may change based upon experiece which I don't have.  Thanks. :) :) :)

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 04:31:36 PM »
Why is everybody against or at least not talking about air impacts.  We all have a ready supply of air and as I mentioned earlier a HF air impact is actually cheaper than a torque multiplier.  You have to add hose but honestly how much easier does anyone want it?  The likelihood of a flat tire and a dead compressor is so small that everybody should be easily convinced to carry a big impact.  Cuts changing a tire by at least 75% compared to the old armstrong technique.  I just don't get it?

I carry a 3/4 inch harbor frieght impact and a small air compressor. I can take lug nuts off with it!!!! No I'm not full of it, I can do it. Not as quickly as a 1 inch Ingrosoll Rand with a 10 HP compressor. But it works, once you learn how to use it.                                                                                         Jim
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal