Author Topic: Still looking for someone to tow a bus...  (Read 11773 times)

Songman

Still looking for someone to tow a bus...
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:12:37 PM »
I've got to pick up the Model 20 by this weekend. Still looking for a reasonable way to tow it if anyone has any ideas we haven't already tried. The bus is in Gualala, CA which is on Hwy 1 about 2.5 hours north of San Francisco. Unfortunately there are no large towns around there. Heck, there are hardly any towns at all!  The cheapest I have found so far is around $3000. Open to suggestion...

Thanks.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Re: Still looking for someone to tow a bus...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:57:22 PM »
Dale call me!
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline ArtGill

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 03:27:42 AM »
 You may already know this , But!! If you have an Eagle model 20, there is an all wheels down towing connection behind the front license plate cover.  There is also an airline connector there. this may help for short or slow tow.

Art
Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:48:21 AM »
Unfortunately, towing a bus ain't cheap. The best I've found here on the east coast works out to about $2.75 per rolling mile of the tractor & landoll trailer. Another outfit charged $95/ hr PLUS a fuel surcharge PLUS a driver that took over an hour to back in the drive (only took 5 minutes after I made a suggestion  ::)).

If your 20 rolls, you might be able to find a cowboy with a big dump truck . . . . . Some heavy chain (& a pipe over the chain), bus brakes operated by the dump truck, & some really big onions is all you need.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Is there an option of having a mobile mechanic fixing what ails it? $3000 will make a good start at fixing a lot of stuff.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline quantum500

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 07:03:44 AM »
Unfortunately, towing a bus ain't cheap. The best I've found here on the east coast works out to about $2.75 per rolling mile of the tractor & landoll trailer.

Freight here is almost $5 a mile that is mega cheap.

Songman

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 07:07:40 AM »
BK, I will call you in a little bit.

I do know about the wheels down towing. The problem is that this bus is about 60 miles up Hwy 1 on the CA coast. It is up and down hill, sharp switchbacks with an ocean on one side and a mountain on the other. I didn't know how well it would work in that situation.

Kyle, the bus actually runs and drives. The guy I am buying it from said that he would not sell the bus to anyone who wanted to drive it away and it must be towed. I think his reasoning behind this is that he did an 8" roof raise on it and never put the caps and sides on it. Personally, I think it would be perfectly safe to drive but at this point it is his rules. Rates out here from what I have found are $300 per hour. I would love $95!

The bus is only 400 miles away but because of where it is located, it's about a 12 hour run and that is just driving time. It would be my luck to get someone who took 3 hours to get it loaded!

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:19:59 AM »
Once the deal is done, the papers signed, he has no more control over it, even if the ink hasn't dried. If ti makes him happy, sign a release form absolving him of any liability.
Since it is already taller, I'd think towing it would pose more of a threat. The eagle doesn't need skin & caps for strength, does it? It has that nice frame to deal with all that.

35mph with a chase car would be where I started.

Maybe you could have it towed a short way, then drive it.

Good luck with it.

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 09:21:03 AM »
Freight here is almost $5 a mile that is mega cheap.

Where is 'here'?

Offline edroelle

• 1998 Royale Prevost
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 09:53:31 AM »
A friend sold his Eagle 5.  It had no sides or windshield in it, because of a roof raise.  The buyer drove it about 200 miles with no problems or concerns.

Assuming the brakes are good and engine and tires OK, buy it and drive it.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI

Songman

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 11:27:34 AM »
I agree. I would love to just drive it home and use that towing money towards actually working on the bus. But the seller is very clear that he will not sell the bus to someone who wants to drive it. I had hoped to find a busnut somewhere within a couple of hundred miles and just have it towed to their house or business and then do a little work on it and drive it from there. But this is a pretty desolate little town and there is no one around that I have found.

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 12:08:45 PM »
Unlike most other buses, the Eagle will be fine with only the frame.  I too have seen them driven several hundred miles like that.

Are you sure this seller is not trying to cover up some other drive train problems?  I can understand him being concerned about liability but if you've got cash and sign a waiver, I can't imagine why else he wouldn't let you do what you want with your bus.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline Bob Gil

• Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 12:32:45 PM »
If you have made the deal to buy it and show up with the money to pay him I don't think he would back out of the deal.  You might have a letter typed up releasing him from any and every liability that might happen with you bus.

I can't imagine any one that would lose the sale over the way it was to be removed.  That should be your problem.

All thats been said lets all remember he is in Calif!
Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 01:23:55 PM »
If you promised to tow it away, do it.  I do not think you have to promise to tow it all the way home.  Have it towed to a nearby location and drive it from there.  If there is a competent diesel mechanic nearby, have it towed there for them to give it a once-over before hitting the road.  The guy can't complain about that and it would be absurd to ask you to tow it from location to location like forever.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Songman

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 02:04:07 PM »
That's most likely the plan, Lin. And I did make the commitment to his rules so I will do that. Don Fairchild is going with me so the more than competent mechanic will be on-site. Still just need to find someone to tow it away.

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 03:21:07 PM »
I've never met Don or spoke with him but he has a great reputation - If he says it will make it then do it - Heck have HIM drive it LOL - Why not combine some of the great suggestions and use the towing connection and tow it till your out of sight (don't forget to wave goodbye) and then take YOUR bus, which is NO LONGER on his property, and go home - You have still honored your word and towed the bus - You just never said how far  ::)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal