Author Topic: 57 Eagle  (Read 18280 times)

Offline Peabody

• Bus wannabe,Gillig chassis,3208 cat
    • Opal Dragon Creations
57 Eagle
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:44:06 PM »
Okay Guys,tell me again why I shouldn't  buy  this bus.The dealer just emailed me and said they had moved it not sold it and that it is still available.I'm drawn to this eagle like moths to the light ;D
http://www.poulsborv.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=06127436X10K2K2008J6I44I00JPMQ3616R0&veh=918346

Thank-You, Peabody
Enjoy Life...This is not a rehearsal!
Want to make God laugh?        Make plans

Offline tekebird

Re: 57 Eagle
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 05:55:50 PM »
 Although it looks nice:

be sure to have someone thoroughly look at it for hidden structural corrosion

also be aware that early eurobuilt Eagles may have some parts that are very hard to come by

ALL YOU EAGLE GUYS>>>>>Look at this, true and valid advise  no????

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 06:30:25 PM »
Hey Peabody,
Mark called and talked to me the other day, and told me ya'll had a long and broad discussion about buses. Trust me he knows his buses, and their pros/cons! I would most certainly say by all means to take a look at it! But before committing to ANY purchase, I'd tell them that any offer you make would be contingent on the shop/mechanic reccommends (in Longview?) inspecting it from top to bottom and front to back FIRST! If they are not worried he'll find major problems, then they will agree to take it to them at your expense for a thorough inspection! Then after getting his opinion get the opinion of SEVERAL EAGLE buffs such as Clifford-aka-luvrbus or Sonnie Gray, Rusty or several others here who know their Eagles!
Also Gary LaBombard aka "Rustless Money Pit" ~ www.busconverter101.com has a wonderful and very informative disc he made showing the many areas that you check on an Eagle before buying it! Gary has spent many many hrs rebuilding his Eagle and is still in progress on it! He didn't expect to find all that he has wrong with it! And he very dedicated to helping others make a bad mistake by buying a bad bus! He and many others of us truly love Eagles, but beware some are just problems waiting to happen, while there are others out there that are great buses!

JMHO FWIW! ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Peabody

• Opal Dragon Creations
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 08:28:32 PM »
I'm calling the dealer tomorrow,Then I'll call Sonny and Ken if the bus is close to them.I'm to attracted to this bus so I won't do any thing with out their expert advise.I'll call Mark if the bus is near him.My Momma didn't raise no fools,One thing I know is time is on my side and that bus has been sitting there a very long time,might be a reason. Thank-You,  Peabody   

VAN

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 08:44:24 PM »
That's a really sweet ride your lookin at ,if it checks out ok BINGO! good luck.

Dreamscape

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 04:18:19 AM »
Hi Peabody,

I would definitely give any of the guys mentioned above a call, but they either live in Colorado, Texas or Kentucky. Pick their brains though, as any Eagle owner is always glad to help.  :) Whenever I have questions regarding our 01 Eagle I always ask Clifford and Sonnie for help, as they have many more years of experience than myself. Besides, they both have become great friends!

I would ask for any paperwork on work that has been done, being an RV dealer they might not be able to help, but you never know.

Have your mechanic check the brake system, torsalastics, any tubular framing from the ground up. As these areas are costly to repair and/or replace. I'm not trying to scare you only share some thoughts.

As that Eagle is 11 years older than mine, and has been through various owners, be sure to also check the electrical wiring condition.

Remember these antiques have many years on them and probably will last many, many more with some TLC.

Good Luck and keep us posted, That is a rare and pretty bird,

Paul

Offline mccarlk

• 1967 mci 5 8v71 auto
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 04:36:32 AM »
i would be very carefull,my 67mci has been a nitemare to find some odd ball parts and i have a complete parts bus,as long as  you like seaching for hours on end for parts, also what if it breaks on a trip, good luck finding anybody to spend the time finding parts , yet working on it , this bus had its 20th birthday before half of the techs you find were born,very nice looking bus,  just my 2 cents worth
treat every day like is your last, just make sure you dont spend all your money,in case its not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline roadrunnertex

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 08:29:32 AM »
I do not want to throw water on your dreams so to speak.
I talked to Mr Norris at Jefferson Truck trailer and bus repair in regards to the 1957 Eagle that you are interested in and he stated and I quote his exact words " don't buy it".
#1 reason parts are not available for a coach this old.
Also no suspension parts are not available either.
His advise look for something that you can obtain parts and support for.
And folks I do not have a dog in this fight so to speak.
So if it were me I would run the other way! Very Fast ;D
jlv :P

luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 08:55:42 AM »
Suspension parts are not available for any 01 Eagle but I was told that SilverEagle was going to have Lord manufacture the torsilatics for the 01. If you could get us a photo of the passengers side it would help it looks good on the drivers side nice and straight with no bulges from rust.That could have been a ground up restoration that someone did it has the model 5 windshields like the later model 01 had,check and see if it has power steering folks don't do that kind of work on a bus without repairing rust areas, the running gear is all American made by Bendix ,Rockwell and etc you need somebody to look at the bus it maybe in better shape than one made in the 80's   good luck and I will email you a phone # of a lady that is going to sell her late husbands bus

Dreamscape

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 11:52:03 AM »
I just spoke with Dan at Silver Eagle and this is what they have available.

For the 01, front torsalasitc assembly, boie (tag) only as a retrofit assembly, nothing yet for the drive axle but they are working on a solution.

It was good talking with Dan as he has many years experience with Silver Eagle.

FYI,

Paul

Offline tekebird

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 03:59:37 PM »
Paul, perhaps you stated the reason S ilver Eagle is so slow on manufacturing buses, and updating the website and providing marketing materials for thier product.

They are too busy developing replacement parts for 50 year old buses of which there are only a few handfulls around ( keep in mind alot have go back to the earth as Rust...

HAHA could not help myself

Offline Peabody

• Opal Dragon Creations
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 05:59:07 PM »
Talked to the dealer today and he hasn't  got a clue about the bus so he is checking on it for me.But if any one in the Vancouver WA.  area wants to go check it  out  it's at the Paulsbo dealership down there.I myself would like to see this bus but I won't be going any time soon.This weekend it will be at the fairgrounds across the street,any way that's what I was told.  Peabody   ;D

Dreamscape

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 08:15:37 PM »
Paul, perhaps you stated the reason S ilver Eagle is so slow on manufacturing buses, and updating the website and providing marketing materials for thier product.

They are too busy developing replacement parts for 50 year old buses of which there are only a few handfulls around ( keep in mind alot have go back to the earth as Rust...

HAHA could not help myself

Doug, This was not called for on this thread, bad choice for doing so.

Offline SmoothJazz

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 01:02:30 PM »
Peabody,

I say if the price is right, then buy it. You will be buying a piece of unique bus history. I too, am looking for a unique Eagle Coach, however, this coach has had exterior changes that are not original, and certainly I would not try to buy the coach out from underneath you.

As for the parts availability, many parts can be changed, retrofitted or upgraded to what is available today. You may want to check with Silver Eagle Bus and ask them about the bus, as Paul stated some parts may be available. But certainly, any coach of that age may have difficulty in finding original parts.

As for Tekebird's comment, I think it is wise for Silver Eagle Bus to produce parts for older Eagle's, sounds like good business. And by the way, I agree with Paul on his last comment.

Dreamscape

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 01:12:46 PM »
Dan called me this morning regarding parts for Eagles. As long as they are building buses it just makes good business sense to also supply parts for all Eagles, old and new.

Peabody, let us know how you make out. I really want to see that Eagle in person. I was just up there in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago at my home office. The timing could not have been worse.

I will contact a buddy of mine that lives there, he just bought an MCI 102A3, but I think I can get him to take some pics and give me an honest opinion. I can guide him on what to look for. Let me know if that will work for you.

Good Luck,

Paul

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal