Author Topic: Costs of Slideouts  (Read 4488 times)

Offline coachconverter

Costs of Slideouts
« on: June 20, 2006, 01:38:17 PM »
Hey everyone,

I wanted to do a sanity check and see if you all have heard what I've heard. 

I have a couple of customers that want slides installed in their coaches, so I've been checking around.  What I've asked about is having two slides installed, a 12-14 foot front and a bedroom/bed slide in the back, both on a H3-45 and an Eagle 15-45 with factory raised roof.  On both I've stated that they are stripped to the frame and that I will be doing the re-skinning/fitting-out once the slides are installed.  So no interior mods, siding or paint required from them.

My results have been pretty steady, AND SHOCKING.  But before I divulge the results of my survey, I'd like to hear any of your thoughts and especially price quotes you've received, and who from.

I don't at all discount the amount of effort, engineering and modifications required to do it right.  But my results have been surprisingly high.

Seems to me that there are maybe what, 7 to 10 common bus chassis out there(MC9, MC12, 102A, 102C, 96A, XL, H3, Eagle 10/15/20), at least those that most would want to put this much money into.  Even at that, there's probably only 3-4 that are truly that different.  I would think that if a qualified structural engineer could be engaged each time a new style of chasis comes in, that after not too long you'd have jigs setup for pretty much all the buses needing slideouts.  I have both an engineering firm and a huge and diverse metal/machine shop as neighbors and wonder how hard this can truly be. 

I should note that none of the "installers" I've talked to so far have overwhelmed me with details, references or even records of numbers of successful installs.   

Just wondering what you all have found out there...

Thanks
Todd Reid

Offline bigtim44

• Red buses go faster!
    • big red bus conversion
Re: Costs of Slideouts
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 05:02:47 PM »
I heard $1000 a linear foot :o
Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/

belfert

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 05:13:18 PM »
MCI and Prevost both sell motorhome shells with slideouts already built at the factory.  It wouldn't make much sense to have an engineer design a slideout for current production passenger models unless they wait until the passenger buses are 10 to 20 years old.

The Dina has a real C frame so I think it would be a decent candidate for a slideout.  I don't like slideouts for desert use, so I never looked too much into one.

Brian Elfert

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 05:18:51 PM »
Hey everyone,

I wanted to do a sanity check and see if you all have heard what I've heard. 

I have a couple of customers that want slides installed in their coaches, so I've been checking around.  What I've asked about is having two slides installed, a 12-14 foot front and a bedroom/bed slide in the back, both on a H3-45 and an Eagle 15-45 with factory raised roof.  On both I've stated that they are stripped to the frame and that I will be doing the re-skinning/fitting-out once the slides are installed.  So no interior mods, siding or paint required from them.

My results have been pretty steady, AND SHOCKING.  But before I divulge the results of my survey, I'd like to hear any of your thoughts and especially price quotes you've received, and who from.

I don't at all discount the amount of effort, engineering and modifications required to do it right.  But my results have been surprisingly high.

Seems to me that there are maybe what, 7 to 10 common bus chassis out there(MC9, MC12, 102A, 102C, 96A, XL, H3, Eagle 10/15/20), at least those that most would want to put this much money into.  Even at that, there's probably only 3-4 that are truly that different.  I would think that if a qualified structural engineer could be engaged each time a new style of chasis comes in, that after not too long you'd have jigs setup for pretty much all the buses needing slideouts.  I have both an engineering firm and a huge and diverse metal/machine shop as neighbors and wonder how hard this can truly be. 

I should note that none of the "installers" I've talked to so far have overwhelmed me with details, references or even records of numbers of successful installs.   

Just wondering what you all have found out there...

Thanks
Todd Reid

I've heard 10 - 15K per.  Length of the slide didn't seem to make a lot of difference.  I mean, other than more materials, it's not that much more effort to do 14' than 10'.  If I did it, I'd do it myself.  I'd love to do a 102C3 with three slides.  Two up front and one in the bedroom.

Offline phil4501

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 07:00:19 PM »
I am a GM bus owner, I am not permited to discuss this subject.

Offline coachconverter

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 10:38:41 AM »
Those of you that provided numbers had exactly the same costs that I had heard were out there, until I called to get specific and binding quotes:

Morrison VIP  $40-45k PER SLIDE
  HWH   $50-60k for 1 large and 1 bed slide
  2 Other companies I'd have to look up to remember, each said $28k per slide

I mean, come on. 

I smell opportunity... or is that something on my shoe?

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 10:52:45 AM »
I could do them commercially for 10-15K each and make money at it.  There's really not that much to it.  There could be insurance issues also.  Half of that 50K cost may be liability insurance premium.  I wouldn't know.  I can't afford insurance any more.  Take a product or service that an insurance compay deems risky, and costs can easily double just from the premium. 

Offline DebDav

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 02:13:49 PM »
Check the cost of Prevost slide vs. non slide.  Before Prevost installed slides in factory they contracted with Valid Mfg. in Canada to do the work.  Valid will still install a slide in an older Prevost.----up to $75,000.00 per slide.

I am converting a 1991 H3-40.  I have had the roof raised 6" (as per VIP standard) and now two slides are being installed on the driver side.  Total cost $58,000.00.  These are being built using Prevost engineered drawings and mostly Prevost parts.  Some pumps and structural steel have been purchased direct.

Expensive, yes but I cannot afford a new one and I want the open space of the H3.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal