Author Topic: Bus Tire Prices in Piedmont, SC  (Read 11398 times)

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
    • "Inspection & Repair Guide for Bus Conversions"
Bus Tire Prices in Piedmont, SC
« on: October 13, 2008, 10:45:35 AM »
I am posting only because of what I consider important information for any bus owner close to our area with information I received today.  I got bus tire prices I considered reasonable and anyone close to our area may consider coming here to get these tires if they are the cheapest they can find.  It at least will give you a guide for prices in your area.  This is a real safety issue to consider because of dryrot in our tires after such a long time on our buses or S&S's.  Jack Conrad had a flat for other reasons than dry rot but still got a new tire, JR Lynch got a flat tire on his way to kyle's NON bus rally two weeks ago, I got (TWO) flats on my S&S in the past two months.  Tires worn down about 20% but the dry rot was in center of tread and when they go, they really go.  The choice as usual is yours to make. 

1) Toyo Steer (11R-22.5), 14 ply = $320 total cost ea, mounted.

2) Dynatrac drive tire for (11R-22.5) = $300 total cost ea, mounted.

3) Toyo Steer (11R--24.5) 14 ply = $330 total cost ea, mounted.

4) Dyna Track - 880 closed shoulder drive tires = $310 total cost ea. mounted.

Note: if you do not want to keep your old tires there is a ($25.00) charge for each tire they keep there.  So come with your bays empty if you can dispose of them on your property etc. and wish to save more $$.

Call the following tire shop if you are interested and to be sure they have enough of your size in stock and also confirm what information I pass on here now. 

I have room for one bus for an overnight stay with 30 amp. service to help you out if you travel any distance and wish to rest.  send me an email with a phone number so I can set up this area for your visit if needed.

Tire shop to call:

PIEDMONT TIRE COMPANY
HIGHWAY 86,
PIEDMONT, SC  29673

TEL: (864-845-5538) OR (864-845-5659)  ASK FOR "GARY"  great name, he he

I hope this helps out a few of you really needing a savings over prices I have seen posted lately on the bb'ds.

Gary
Gary

Blacksheep

Re: Bus Tire Prices in Piedmont, SC
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:05:03 PM »
Just to help out and OLD friend, the correct URL is:

http://www.piedmonttireco.com/

Ace

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 12:21:46 PM »
Thanks Gary for the info!

Thanks Ace for the website link.

Now, if only I could get some of that bailout $$$, I'd be able to stimulate the local economy by spending as much on the bus as I could before Nancy finds out.  :o  :o  :o
(having the bills paid is overrated. I did that once & I was still broke till payday!  ::) )

Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
    • "Inspection & Repair Guide for Bus Conversions"
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 01:01:29 PM »
comment erased by me.
Gary   ;D
Gary

Offline rwc

• No longer will be Now AM
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:59:20 PM »
Thanks Gary for erasing that comment. It was the right thing to do

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 05:03:18 PM »
aww shucks, Gary erased it too soon and i didn't get to read it.  i'm sure it was about Ace and i'm sorry i didn't see it.

Actually, i am happy you posted prices. (and the web site, Ace)  i noticed some cracks starting in my tires today, and someone had told me these 24.5's are bout $1000 each when i first bought the bus, which scared the bjeebers out of me.

we won't be coming that far south, but i'm sure not to get ripped quite so bad when we do replace them, now that i know what can be.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 05:10:39 AM »
Thanks for posting this information.  Tires are one of the major things on my list for next year.  I will be checking them out.
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA

Dreamscape

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 05:59:10 AM »
Gary,

Nice seeing a post by you!

Join the fun at Eagles International, hope to see you there.

Paul

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 06:17:17 AM »
For that price I bet it is the Toyo Cheng- Shin China made tire my M111z Toyo's were about 100 bucks more each (on sale in Or)   have a great day

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 06:54:59 PM »
Found it! Thanks Gary!  As you are aware, it's time that I replaced my tires.  I'm running 315/80R-22.5 on all wheels.  That's the way NJT did things. 
Anyone care to advise whether the 315s are necessary?  Thinking about going to 12Rs?   My MC9 is right at 34K...12Rs should easily handle the weight. 
Crying shame I'll tell ya...all of my tires look so good.  No cracks or any obvious problems.  Yet, an inner drive exploded while headed to Palmetto Cove 2 weeks ago.  Seems as though the handwriting is on the wall...so to speak.  The tires are about 8 years old.  I'm assuming that if the tire exploded, it must have had a good bit of air in it.  Wasn't but so low.   The air had just been checked the night before. 
I'm going to move the steers to the tags and run new on drive and steering axles.  So far, the best prices I've found locally are $500 mounted for 315/80R Firestones.   Michelins were $700.   I have not priced imported tires...??
One thing I've noticed is that no one (so far) balances these tires?   I have not talked to anyone that will balance a truck tire? 
I know that they don't turn very fast, but....?  Seems as though they oughta be balanced?  They are probably not balanced now.  Although, there's no apparent problem with balance. 
Now we're off to count our bucks...see if I can afford some tires.. ;D   Merry Christmas to ME!   ::)
Cheerio, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 08:00:23 PM »

as long as your looking at foriegn tyres, may want to see if they can get these

http://www.nokiantyres.com/trucks-and-buses

i just put some on the mrs's jetta,  even she could tell the difference in the rolling resistance :o

tri-state around the corner had never heard of them but found some, there is a guy on 321 toward lincolnton that quoted me a decent price for the car tires, he is on the dealer locator, he may be able to get some bus tires from europe, worth a phone call

http://www.nokiantires.com/dealer-locator

keep us posted on what you get, your not the only one coming up on these decisions

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 08:48:51 PM »
JR might look at some Kumho tires! I have been successfully running them for almost 5 yrs now with NO problems! I just recently (well back in the spring when I was going to FL weekly!) got a "good deal" on 4 NEW Bridgestones for $1200. But I have had problems with 2 out of 4 so far! NOT impressed! The date code on them showed they were built in 07! Around here I get my 315/80R/22.5 Kumhos for about $350 each mounted with Equal or Dyna beads for balancing each! Also have 2 NEW Bridgestones I'd take that apiece for too! (of course I'd pay for the mounting and balancing media too, but you gotta come pick 'm up!)  ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Fred Mc

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 09:03:10 PM »
Last year I bought a couple of Chineses tires (11r 22.5) and took them to the local truck tires place for installation. They had no problem balancing them on a machine that looked just like the ones for cars.

My impression is that balancing big truck tires is as common as car tires. I would think that balancing is just as important as on cars, maybe more so. Normal speeds CAN be almost as high as cars and because the tires are larger, out of  balance may affect them more than smaller tires.

Fred Mc.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 09:16:42 PM »
I know around here the bigger dealers of tires and trucks both advertise tire balancing for "Truck Tires"!  But I am still happy with the Equal or Dyna Beads.
Our tire guy comes to us and does his work here and doesn't have a way to balance them "out on the road". But sometime back he mentioned he'd "just bought a high $ fancy smancy tire mounting and balancing machine" that took all the manual labor out of mounting them, and lifting them, and even balanced them too! He was thinking of mounting it on a trailer to make it where he could take it on service calls since 95% of his business is service callas with the occassional customer dropping off a couple tires at his house/shop for repair at his convienece when things are slow!(he say's things are NEVER slow! which I can atest too as it takes at least a day to 2 days or more to get him out unless it's an emergency!)
Well last time he was out I asked him about the trailer for his new machine. And he responded something like this "$#@!~X^*&*(%$@!*&^%$#@ piece of crap. Biggest wast e of $ I ever made! I only made the first payment before I told them to come pick up that ^%#@!!$%^&&*()%@#$%^&* ! And it's still sit'n out by the road where I dragged to with the pick up just to get it out my shop and way!

So I gues he don't like it! LOL! ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 01:32:35 AM »
NJT - you are no doubt aware that 315/80's are more expensive and carry more load than the standard sizes - I have a new set of Kumho's on my bus - the KRS-03  - the dealer cost is about $350 a tire - my cost w/ mounting and balancing tax tag  etc. was about $430 per tire - If your coming south through Ocala Fl contact me and I'll give you the info - I've been happy w' the 8k+ miles I've put on them through the rockies this year - HTH
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal