Author Topic: Another Shurflo pump bites the dust  (Read 14192 times)

Offline belfert

Re: Another Shurflo pump bites the dust
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 05:08:28 PM »
I was wrong on my Flojet pumps.  I was winterizing this evening and noticed my pump is the 4.5 GPM version, not the 3.7 GPM version I thought I was purchasing.  My spare is also 4.5 GPM.

I don't know if I got confused between the Shurflo and Flojet variable speed pumps or what.  The Shurflo has the 4.0 GPM as the smaller unit.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline busing704

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 05:15:29 PM »
I have had 3 of the smart pumps replaced and they have not giving me any grief at all. The last one one ,on the first trip out the water pressure was all over the place I called shurflo and they sent me a big chrome tank (FREE) to cut in to the line it works very well. And more chrome is good

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 07:23:11 PM »
One of the above posts suggest that accumulators are hard on pumps.  I guess I would be a bit surprised that that is the case.  I am not sure how an accumulator would affect the pump.  It still sees pressure all of the time whether there is an accumulator or not.  Indeed, I would think the accumulator might keep the pump from seeing any significant spikes in pressure when a faucet is closed. 

AquaHot is very clear that you must put an accumulator in the water system.  I suspect the issue is increased pressure as the water temperature in increased.  I would think a normal water heater might have the same affect.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline Sojourner

• Jesus Love You!
    • Jesus Love You!
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 08:13:25 PM »
One of the above posts suggest that accumulators are hard on pumps.  I guess I would be a bit surprised that that is the case.  I am not sure how an accumulator would affect the pump.  It still sees pressure all of the time whether there is an accumulator or not.  Indeed, I would think the accumulator might keep the pump from seeing any significant spikes in pressure when a faucet is closed. 

AquaHot is very clear that you must put an accumulator in the water system.  I suspect the issue is increased pressure as the water temperature in increased.  I would think a normal water heater might have the same affect.

Jim

About accumulator to reduce pressure spikes is what it design for. Shurflo has a optional 2 gallon chrome tank available. My suggestion for larger tank such as 2 gallon tank or larger being not only act as a accumulator but a storage tank like we have in home with pump. It will allow longer time delay between cut-in to cut-out pump cycling. In other word, just when you turn water faucet while in high pressure mode...it will not pump until about 10% water is removed to lower psi.
My point is if these DC pump for RV are less reliable then home type system, then install small storage/surge tank to lower pump problem as well less power waste via fewer pump cycling.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald
http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 08:52:39 PM »
In 1990 I ripped the fresh water tanks out of my Winnie.  They were round, 5 feet long and weighed 100 pounds each.  It was an old system that used a little air compressor to push water around. Nice theory but I couldn't carry much water because the tanks were round and had to fit under my twin beds.  I replaced that system with plastic tanks and a Sureflow....3.7 GPM sounds right.  I full timed for three years and have taken extended trips to Fla. from Pa. with my Dad in the winter before he passed.  I have no accumulator.  That pump has not even hiccuped in all that time.  The spare pump I purchased is still in the box it came in and is still snuggled up close to the Sureflo that is in the system.  I have never heard of a Sureflo failing but then I live a sheltered life and I typically associate with people that are in the "old mechanical" income range and we rarely see anything "solid state" except my $3,000 computer system. :o

So if and when I buy a Prevost I will surely take my Sureflows with me. ;)

WOW! 8)

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 10:13:10 PM »
I like the Sureflow, not that I haven't had issues. With the Sureflow you can bypass the switch, run two wires up stairs to twist togather and always have a shower or whatever, even if the switch dies. The price has gone up but they are still under $100 at CW and individual repair parts are also available. I carry 230 gal and have showered as many as 17 people a day for weeks. I have a spare when I need it and sometimes do, but I feel I get fair service from these units.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal