Author Topic: allinson ht748 push button tranny wiring  (Read 6586 times)

Offline Sammy

Re: allinson ht748 push button tranny wiring
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 05:18:59 PM »
Tony, you have a "Sealed-Standard" model ECU (trans computer).
The J1A connector is the one on the left side in the picture of your ECU and shift pad.
The J1B connector is the one on the right - same picture.
Do you happen to know what kind of bus it came out of?, and what model year that bus was?
Model year is more important for me to know.
JR has asked a very important question.....
Is your new engine computer controlled (DDEC), or mechanically controlled?
This ECU requires a TPS signal (throttle position sensor) and that will have to be addressed.

Here are some basic connections :
J1A connector on your ATEC ECU:
Terminal 3A wire 203- 12v battery power, protected by a 5 amp inline fuse, connected to POS
terminal on battery - ECU memory.
Terminal 2A and 2B - 12v battery power from POS terminal,thru 8 amp fuse to 2 relays that are controlled by your ignition - Ignition power for ECU.
Terminal 1A and 1B - BATTERY ground - NOT chassis ground.

Post answers to my new questions when you can, will try to help as best as possible.

Offline tony

• I HAVE A 1980 MCI
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »
no i did not try sending to my email address  thank you very much  tony   bodine17@msn.com   

Offline tony

• I HAVE A 1980 MCI
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 05:21:49 PM »
does anyone know if the plug in picture 2001-1-1-00011  is the plug that gives the computer power and what wire gives the power it make it shift  my motor does not run on a computer it is manual so all i need to do is get the tranny to shift thanks tony

Offline Sammy

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 01:51:32 PM »
No, that is not the plug. That looks like a plug that went to an interface for DDEC, Wire numbers would confirm or deny this. The power and ground wires are in one of the rectangular plugs in that picture. Look for wire numbers on the wires that go into those plugs.
It's gonna take more than just hooking up wires to make that transmission work.I'm sorry to say it's just not that simple.You are also hooking it up to a mechanically controlled engine, and that will require additional work too - external TPS as one example.
The trans computer (ECU) needs to see alot of other things (parameters)for it to let the trans go into gear and shift gears.
The trans computer is programmed to protect the transmission (won't shift) if it does not "see" these parameters.It will "think" something is wrong and inhibit shifting.
You need to find an Allison manual to help you do this swap. It will have all the info and electrical diagrams needed.
Best of luck with your conversion.

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 07:06:19 PM »
May I suggest that if the ATEC transmission isn't installed, you may be ahead of the game forgoing the ATEC conversion. 
There are plenty of HT740s around that are in most respects the same transmissions as HT748ATEC....sans electronic shift. 
Tony, do you still have a shift cable in place?  If so, there is nothing to be gained by installing that ATEC.  748s don't shift significantly better than an HT740.   Same number of gears....just a lot of wiring.
Working with a DDEC controlled engine may give another 10th of a mile per gallon...but that's about it. 
What you may end up with is intermittant wiring or TPS issues that make the bus almost impossible to troubleshoot...or use.
A 748 will not really gain you anything.   There is no upside to the conversion. 
It is going to get way too complicated.   
Keep in mind that an HT748 typically sells for more than an HT740.  You may be able to trade the transmission for an HT740..which would be a bolt-in deal for you. 
If you still want to use the ATEC transmission, you're going to need a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) mounted somewhere in the throttle linkage. It can be mounted where you want since you're going have to fabricate the mounts.  Include some way to calibrate the TPS.
If it's out of range, the "do not shift" light will come on and the transmission won't shift.  Without the TPS the transmission isn't going to work.   
Sammy can verify this item, but if the ATEC came from a DDEC engine, your ATEC ECM might  not work as a stand-alone unit?? 
You may need a different ATEC ECM...or have yours modified.   $$$
JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline tony

• I HAVE A 1980 MCI
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 06:47:57 AM »
the ht 748 is in i bought it with the 6v92 turbo  i took out a 8v71 and 4 speed manual tranny  was told by a guy that owns a buse co that it would be fairly easy  so no there is no cable but it is not easy to run the wires for this one  if i change to a 740  is it the same length i already cut the drive shaft one time  i live in ct do you know anyone in this aera that could hook this one up right willing to pay good for it .  this tranny was just rebuilt by arizona transmission and dino tested  or ndo you know anyone that is willing to trade for a good 740     this thing is begining to be a pain in you no wnat   thanks for the help tony

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 10:30:28 AM »
Bummer. 
Was the 6/v92 and the ATEC mated when you bought them?  If so, the TPS is probably mounted on the engine. 
If not, you'll have to pull the TPS from the donor bus that the transmission came out of.   A TPS is expensive.
TTBOMK, 740 and 748, without a retarder, have the same outside dimensions.  Your driveshaft should work.
Did you get the oil cooler, mounts and lines?
You're right about running the wiring harness.  That's a PITA.
If you decided to go with a 740, you could use an air shifter.  The airlines would be easier to run...I suppose. 
I'm in North Carolina and have no knowledge of any ATEC folk up that way.  They are around.  Maybe someone will see your post and offer some assistance. 
Good luck, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 10:52:38 AM »
I would take it back to Arizona Transmission ASAP and get a mechanical unit to go with my mechanical engine. If you really have unlimited funds available, it would be easier to put in a DDEC engine to go with your ATEC Transmission than its going to be to convince the ATEC to run without the DDEC input. I think you are going down the wrong road on this deal. You said you bought this with the 6V92, are you using the matched engine for your HTB748 or not, I'm confused. You asked about the proper voltage for your ATEC, I think that would have to be 12 volts. If you want to discuss this deal with someone who repairs/sells/understands all these parts and can work you through all the issues, call Randy at 218-262-4553 , he has been very helpful to me. If you have a HTB748R that is common, you will have to lengthen the driveline to switch to the old 740 unit. Its not real spendy to retube and balance a driveline. So is the 6V92 DDEC or not? Is that the engine you have installed in your coach? If you installed the 6V in your coach, does it have a square box on top of the engine right in the middle, just behind the water manifold with several wires comming out or not?
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 02:19:29 PM »
Tony

the plug in picture 2001-1-1-00011   - IS FOR THE TPS CONNECTION

I've already sent you EVERTHING you need to do this !!!!  (cable pinouts / etc)

IT'S NOT THAT HARD

YOU MUST HAVE A FEW HANGING WIRES UP BY THE SHIFTER ANF A FEW BY THE ATEC -

These can easily be identified - they will be the Battery / ignition / check tranny lite / chassic ground / etc

GIVE ME A CALL - I CAN HELP ***386**672*0571***
I can even call you back on my unlinited L/D

Pete RTS/Daytona

P.S. - Your going to need some kind of a TPS (THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR with an approx 200-2000 ohm range)
 to tell the Allison where the engine throttle is (throttle position changes shift points/etc)

Here a SAMPLE solution --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/29507770-ALLISON-TRANSMISSION-THROTTLE-POSITION-SENSOR_W0QQitemZ360062667766QQihZ023QQcategoryZ50466QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Or just buy a Detroit Diesel TPS - screw your own lever to it and use a bike hand brake cable fron the engine throttle to pull the TPS lever - simple as that

NO DAMN BIG THING - THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE - TRUST ME !!!!
If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

Offline NJT5049

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 09:49:06 AM »
Hi Pete;
I've been working on a ATEC Check Trans issue for quite some time. (we've likely chatted on this at some point) I was hoping you might be able to send me a copy of that PDF also.
I purchased the TN1960EN manual from Allison but the plugs in the manual I believe are for a different version ATEC/DDEC as J1 and J2 to the ATEC are 24 pin in the manual and 30 pin on the coach. I'm hoping to cross reference the pin outs.

njt5049@yahoo.com
Thank you in advance.
Tom O'Neil

Offline RTS/Daytona

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 09:59:34 AM »
What you have is the somewhat less used 24 PIN SPLASHPROOF J1 and J2  and not the 30 standard J1 and J2

have no fear - a pdf file is winging it's way to your add that shows ALL the different types plus all the interconnector uses

Pete - glad to help - just paying foward

Offline DaveG

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 04:39:53 PM »
Hey, what ever happened to Tony?

Offline RTS/Daytona

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 09:33:22 AM »
Tony got it all wired up and found out that he had a bad ATEC unit - got a used ATEC Computer  and everything powered up with no errors and the bus shifts into gears in his driveway and moves - he's waiting to get plates to take it for a ride  - Pete  

I have a file with the wiring steps that guided him thru his transplant

P.S. - After many hours on the the phone with Tony assisting on his transplant - My wife and I  finally meet Tony and his lovely wife when they came down to Daytona to close on some real estate. We had an absolutely great dinner at the CHART HOUSE on the water at the marina in Daytona

Offline DaveG

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »
Thanks for the update...always nice to have an ending, especially when it is happy!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal