Author Topic: Where to get a B500 serviced besides Alllison dealer?  (Read 4788 times)

belfert

Where to get a B500 serviced besides Alllison dealer?
« on: June 20, 2006, 05:09:41 PM »
Any suggestions on any types of places besides an Allison dealer that I could take a B500 tranny to get looked at?  I'm hoping a non-Allison dealer may charge less for parts and labor.  Of course, maybe I'm better off at an Allison dealer since they have the expertise.

My B500 has started to jerk very bad when downshifting from second to first during a stop.  This started recently and wasn't a problem during my 1,600 mile trip home.  The local Detroit/Allison dealer says it would be $300 minimum up to as high as $4,000 if it needs a new valve body.  They didn't think over the phone that the whole tranny is bad, but they won't know until they open it up.

My bus is currently at C&J Bus Repair here in Minneapolis waiting on brake drums to finish up redoing all the brakes.  (MCI sent wrong drums.)  C&J recommended taking it for the tranny to the local Detroit/Allison dealer.

Brian Elfert

Offline Sammy

Re: Where to get a B500 besides Alllison dealer?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 05:55:50 PM »
Brian, check battery connections. Make sure they are clean and secure. Have a tech put a scan tool (Pro-link) on it to see if it's logging any codes. I usually "reset unadapted shifts" and "activate fast adaptive", then drive the vehicle.. This lets the ECU re-learn the shift points, almost like re-setting it. I use my Pro-link to do this. I see this condition on occasion ,after we have removed and installed another trans, or replaced an ECU (trans computer).
Hope this might help you. Good luck.
Sammy  8)

belfert

Re: Where to get a B500 besides Alllison dealer?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 06:21:06 PM »
Brian, check battery connections. Make sure they are clean and secure. Have a tech put a scan tool (Pro-link) on it to see if it's logging any codes. I usually "reset unadapted shifts" and "activate fast adaptive", then drive the vehicle.. This lets the ECU re-learn the shift points, almost like re-setting it. I use my Pro-link to do this. I see this condition on occasion ,after we have removed and installed another trans, or replaced an ECU (trans computer).
Hope this might help you. Good luck.

Interesting.  I have had to recharge the batteries three times in recent weeks.  One time, the batteries were down to 1 volt.  I had to disconnect each battery and charge them seperately.

I will see if C&J has a scan tool that can do this for me.

Brian Elfert

Offline TomC

Re: Where to get a B500 serviced besides Alllison dealer?
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 09:13:39 AM »
Highly recommend you get it worked on at an Allison dealer, or Allison approved service center.  The B500 and all other Allisons are expensive pieces of machinery (around $10,000 to overhaul).  Pay a bit more to get it done right the first time!  If you have the expensive toy, you have to expect to pay the expensive repair bills to! One of the drawbacks of having a big commercially rated vehicle.  But also one of the advantages since the buses are made to run hundreds of thousands-into the millions of miles.  Compared to a sticks and staples that is worn out at 300,000 miles (and that's being optimistic)  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 01:30:49 PM »
Do you have and run in the economy shift mode?  It makes the tranny shift less, but also makes it downshift more roughtly at times.  My tranny too does that frim time to time, but it not been an issue.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

belfert

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 05:25:10 PM »
Do you have and run in the economy shift mode?  It makes the tranny shift less, but also makes it downshift more roughtly at times.  My tranny too does that frim time to time, but it not been an issue.

Nope, haven't used economy mode.  I didn't know what the mode button was for until after I got the bus home from Virginia.  Haven't driven far enough since to try out the mode button yet.

Brian Elfert

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal